Navigation apps (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Does anyone know of an app whereby you can set a location and then ask it to show you what is in a 50, 100, 150 or whatever radius from that location? I would think it might be useful when touring just as a quick reference.

OP
OP
ChrisSue
Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Thanks Janine but my thoughts were more along the lines of wanting to do a drive of say 150 miles before stopping and heading on the next day

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Don't see why you couldn't use Google Maps other than you need internet access. Have a look at OsmAnd which you can use off line. If you like it, pay for the enhanced version which gives you much more for a very resonable price. In the past I've used it quite a lot for local information and navigation.
ezee

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Does anyone know of an app whereby you can set a location and then ask it to show you what is in a 50, 100, 150 or whatever radius from that location? I would think it might be useful when touring just as a quick reference.
I donā€™t think there is one.
Canā€™t find the post where I asked a similar question here, but would you expect the list to also factor in which ones are on the road youā€™re on, are within one junction?
Without that sort of logic thereā€™d be a few in the list quite awkward to get to.

Which reminds me of a what a Sat Nav does already.
In most of the sat navs Iā€™ve owned, you can set a destination then later do a search for ā€œnearby POIā€. At destination, on route, etc.
Usually this is for petrol or car parks.

For the planning stage, Garminā€™s Mapsource did this (well, it was basically a sat nav).
Not sure if the Basecamp app can do that ā€œNearbyā€ search.

OP
OP
ChrisSue
Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
I donā€™t think there is one.
Canā€™t find the post where I asked a similar question here, but would you expect the list to also factor in which ones are on the road youā€™re on, are within one junction?
Without that sort of logic thereā€™d be a few in the list quite awkward to get to.

Which reminds me of a what a Sat Nav does already.
In most of the sat navs Iā€™ve owned, you can set a destination then later do a search for ā€œnearby POIā€. At destination, on route, etc.
Usually this is for petrol or car parks.

For the planning stage, Garminā€™s Mapsource did this (well, it was basically a sat nav).
Not sure if the Basecamp app can do that ā€œNearbyā€ search.
It's more that I'm looking for something where we can sit in the van of an evening with no particular route in mind and say tomorrow we'll drive 100 miles in some direction. Let's see what might be within that range

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
It's more that I'm looking for something where we can sit in the van of an evening with no particular route in mind and say tomorrow we'll drive 100 miles in some direction. Let's see what might be within that range
šŸ¤£ One of the ā€œNearbyā€ search options I forgot was ā€œnear where I amā€.

But away from sat navs, on. On. my iPhone I have an app called AroundMe
Looking in the App Store for around me lots of different ā€œaround me place finderā€ apps are available.

OP
OP
ChrisSue
Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
šŸ¤£ One of the ā€œNearbyā€ search options I forgot was ā€œnear where I amā€.

But away from sat navs, on. On. my iPhone I have an app called AroundMe
Looking in the App Store for around me lots of different ā€œaround me place finderā€ apps are available.
That sounds promising

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I can't see why Google maps won't do what you are asking.
Also park4night will do the same for somewhere to park.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Something like this
Screenshot_20210103-125705.png

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I know where the kitchen , living room and toilet are... Doubt I will need an app for a while :)

Seriously though, there is ( somewhere ! ) a great app for bikers that does exactly what you describe... nowt stopping it working for other road users :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back