Nationwide to hike fee on flagship packaged bank account (1 Viewer)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I know a 30% increase is quite a hike but I have doubts whether the 12 month multi-vehicle EU breakdown insurance cover (including motorhome) alone is available from another company at that price.
I used ADAC a few years ago but had reservations related to communications in English in the event of a breakdown :(

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
got to pay the MD is wage of three million pounds

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dartagnan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2013
Bangor NI
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I have this account and whilst it's disappointing a 30% increase pales into significance when compared to the % increase of my Santander 123 account e.g. £2 to £5!
I may revert to the free Nationwide account as I no longer avail of the worldwide Travel insurance or the breakdown cover so it's probably not worthwhile.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I still might need it and it still good for over 3500kgs.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I know a 30% increase is quite a hike but I have doubts whether the 12 month multi-vehicle EU breakdown insurance cover (including motorhome) alone is available from another company at that price.
I used ADAC a few years ago but had reservations related to communications in English in the event of a breakdown :(
ADAC is far cheaper and as they always speak fluent English when renewing I have no doubt that they will do so if needed for a breakdown.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
ADAC is far cheaper and as they always speak fluent English when renewing I have no doubt that they will do so if needed for a breakdown.
How is ADAC much cheaper? Included in the Nationwide account is worldwide travel as well as mobile phone insurance. Get quotes for just those 2, take them away from the cost of a year with Nationwide and see what the breakdown cover is then.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
How is ADAC much cheaper? Included in the Nationwide account is worldwide travel as well as mobile phone insurance. Get quotes for just those 2, take them away from the cost of a year with Nationwide and see what the breakdown cover is then.
Worldwide travel cover would not cover our 6 months in Spain and I am not careless enough to need phone insurance.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Worldwide travel cover would not cover our 6 months in Spain and I am not careless enough to need phone insurance.
Nobody is intentionally careless with mobile phones but accidents happen. As with vehicles

Deleted User

Worldwide travel for 31 days is as much use as a chocolate teapot to me, I have managed without any travel insurance for the 12 years that we have been long term travelling.

ADAC plus costs me around £80 a year with no time limits and includes some measure of travel/health cover which we don't have elsewhere, apart of course from EHIC which may be withdrawn to our misguided withdrawal from the EU.

I don't have expensive phones so that's not a problem, if I left the maximum 3% earning cap of £2500 in the account that would earn £75 so with the cost of ADAC removed I would be paying roughly the same.

I have a better method of obtaining fee free currency so don't need that and don't forget that Nationwide can change the T&C's at anytime.

It is undoubtedly a very good account for some, but not for me, I do have a Nationwide CC that does not charge for foreign purchases and a Nationwide Flexaccount.......which had fee free euro currency transactions when I opened the account but guess what......they changed the T&C's.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Worldwide travel for 31 days is as much use as a chocolate teapot to me, I have managed without any travel insurance for the 12 years that we have been long term travelling.
If you needed repatriation (ie injury or death) how would you pay for that?

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
One thing with the Nationwide they do insist on full service history for vehicle recovery, so to me with a self serviced van it would be of no use to me and I am inclined to ADAC I used to always have Green Flag just for peace of mind and never used them.
:party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I have this account and whilst it's disappointing a 30% increase pales into significance when compared to the % increase of my Santander 123 account e.g. £2 to £5!
I may revert to the free Nationwide account as I no longer avail of the worldwide Travel insurance or the breakdown cover so it's probably not worthwhile.
If you do change to NW do it through a friend as you both benefit from a reward. of £100 each

Dartagnan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2013
Bangor NI
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
If you do change to NW do it through a friend as you both benefit from a reward. of £100 each
I agree. I referred my daughter for the flex plus and we both got it with absolutely no hassle

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Used them twice,,BRILLIANT,,5 STARS,,,BUSBY..

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
We just switches from Halifax disappointed with home not impressed. However still good value
Breakdown cover
Travel insurance
Family mobile phone insurance

Still good value imho

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
The ombudsman are dealing with scores of complaints about packaged bank accounts, it seems to me the banks are very keen on "upselling" any product they can turn a profit on, just like many other trades. Personally I feel happier buying direct from the company that offers the service in the hope that should we suffer a breakdown or need travel insurance to rectify a loss I will have a good chance of receiving timely assistance.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984

ADAC plus costs me around £80 a year with no time limits and includes some measure of travel/health cover which we don't have elsewhere, apart of course from EHIC which may be withdrawn to our misguided withdrawal from the EU.

I don't have expensive phones so that's not a problem, if I left the maximum 3% earning cap of £2500 in the account that would earn £75 so with the cost of ADAC removed I would be paying roughly the same.

I have a better method of obtaining fee free currency so don't need that and don't forget that Nationwide can change the T&C's at anytime.

It is undoubtedly a very good account for some, but not for me, I do have a Nationwide CC that does not charge for foreign purchases and a Nationwide Flexaccount.......which had fee free euro currency transactions when I opened the account but guess what......they changed the T&C's.
We've never had any travel insurance but in 2016 my sister bought us a one year cover for a gift. We've never had any health issues so our 2016 trip was hopefully going to be a healthy one. On June 22nd whilst asleep my heart decided it had had enough so my problems began. We were in the south of France at the time. My total medical bill when they had finished was in excess of £41,000. I'm so pleased my sister spent £73.

Deleted User
We've never had any travel insurance but in 2016 my sister bought us a one year cover for a gift. We've never had any health issues so our 2016 trip was hopefully going to be a healthy one. On June 22nd whilst asleep my heart decided it had had enough so my problems began. We were in the south of France at the time. My total medical bill when they had finished was in excess of £41,000. I'm so pleased my sister spent £73.

I presume that EHIC would cover that eventuality, sounds like emergency treatment to me.

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Still worth £13

Oh yes, and used in tamden with a 123 account the interest paid, together with the benefits far outweigh the costs.

I do regret the loss of ID theft assistance & in particular emergency card assistance, that can cost up to £30/annum

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I presume that EHIC would cover that eventuality, sounds like emergency treatment to me.
The emergency treatment may be covered but the £41,000 will include other
non-emergency and non-medical stuff too which probably won't be covered by the EHIC card so there would still have been a fair sized bill to pay.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That was one hell of a present from your sister! Hope you're okay now.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I assume that is a joke. They wouldn't even look at the EHIC card. They should have as it was a public hospital but all they wanted were the travel insurance details.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back