Nationwide flex plus Insurance (1 Viewer)

Apr 21, 2015
Blackpool
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1985
Hi All
I’m about to renew my insurance on my motorhome.I have a Nationwide flex plus account which has insurance that covers my motorhome for European break down .Has anybody had the need to use them whilst abroad breakdown or repatriation.How good are they?
At the moment I am insured with Safeguard which includes European cover with its policy. If the Nationwide were Ok I could go with a cheaper motorhome company LV which does not have European cover saving me £90.00.

Dave

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Have a look at caravan guard, they do seperate cover for UK and EU and also breakdown cover seperate for UK and EU.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I'm interested in the options above BUT I need breakdown cover in the UK and Europe for both a camper and a classic car.

Has anyone experience or thoughts on using Nationwide Flex Plus for this? I'm assuming, without asking them, that Caravan Guard can't or won't cover the classic car part of my requirements.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Had breakdown cover on two vans in UK, no problems and thats up here in Highlands. Also had phone repaired twice, both times okay but costs £50 each time, still cheap for new screens.

Marmite

Free Member
Jun 14, 2020
SW Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6757
Exp
I have the Nationwide Flex Plus. Had to call them out when I had a caravan tyre blowout on a French Motorway a few years ago with no problem.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Hi Dave - if you are getting a quote from LV for motorhome insurance then worth asking them how much for recovery added to that policy if you haven't already. LV bought Britannia Recovery from CSMA in 2007 & have remained one of the best rated by Which? Know it works out cost effective for cars but check maximum size on what they offer as they have different versions. Another way to get discounted Brittania Recovery is to be a member of Boundless (by CSMA) https://www.boundless.co.uk/save-more/lv-britannia-rescue - current members can refer you if you don't fit the membership criteria (message us if you want more info. or to be referred :) ) Boundless member rates start at £40 for standard UK up to £80 for Deluxe European recovery.
We were with Britannia through Boundless but as we wanted the annual overseas travel insurance now have Nationwide Plus which is also Brittania! We have used them a couple of times recently but for our car & in the UK - both times the service was very good.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We used them ( Nationwide) in Lithuania two years ago this month.
Apart from no one speaking Russian or Lithuanian they were brilliant. Ten days in a comfy hotel in Kaunus and all sorted.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Hi Dave - if you are getting a quote from LV for motorhome insurance then worth asking them how much for recovery added to that policy if you haven't already. LV bought Britannia Recovery from CSMA in 2007 & have remained one of the best rated by Which? Know it works out cost effective for cars but check maximum size on what they offer as they have different versions. Another way to get discounted Brittania Recovery is to be a member of Boundless (by CSMA) https://www.boundless.co.uk/save-more/lv-britannia-rescue - current members can refer you if you don't fit the membership criteria (message us if you want more info. or to be referred :) ) Boundless member rates start at £40 for standard UK up to £80 for Deluxe European recovery.
We were with Britannia through Boundless but as we wanted the annual overseas travel insurance now have Nationwide Plus which is also Brittania! We have used them a couple of times recently but for our car & in the UK - both times the service was very good.

I had a less than positive experience when I tried LV for Moho insurance.

Possibly it was the person on the other end but when one of the questions is do you carry gas I’m thinking wtf 😳
Then wouldn’t quote because we do carry gas for cooking etc 🤷‍♂️

I wouldn’t bother with them again.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now

Possibly it was the person on the other end but when one of the questions is do you carry gas I’m thinking wtf 😳

Was that recent or a while ago? LV used to be great on the phone & well priced for motorhome insurance (low cover level for contents) but now bought out by Allianz & some of the call centre staff are not as well trained as before :( Many of their car & home policies are still highly rated though. We have moved most of our policies away from them now to Saga but always shop around each year & examine the boring small print closely - well Mr Wombles does!

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I'm interested in the options above BUT I need breakdown cover in the UK and Europe for both a camper and a classic car.

Has anyone experience or thoughts on using Nationwide Flex Plus for this? I'm assuming, without asking them, that Caravan Guard can't or won't cover the classic car part of my requirements.
Don't think they ask about your vehicles,,BUSBY.

OP
OP
D
Apr 21, 2015
Blackpool
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1985
I was quoted approx £300.00 and £390.00 with the breakdown cover with LV .It seems the Nationwide is ok for my breakdown needs in Europe so I might go without the LV breakdown cover.

Dave

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I was quoted approx £300.00 and £390.00 with the breakdown cover with LV .It seems the Nationwide is ok for my breakdown needs in Europe so I might go without the LV breakdown cover.

Dave
If you maintain it with Nationwide then no reason to have it with LV if it is the same level of cover or the level you need (y)

Aug 5, 2018
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
I had good service in France. ( car locked itself with keys inside. All sorted within 75 mins of reporting the problem)I think their cover is for any car you are in/driving and includes motorhome up to 8m (last time I looked!)
PS I don't think Aviva has bought LV.

Mar 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2014
I have Nationwide Flex Plus. Had to use them twice, motorcycle and Wifes' car and on both occasions were extremely good. Never had to use them for the motorhome or whilst abroad.
However, works out extremely cost effective as we have a total of five vehicles, car each, motorcyle and a scooter which we trailer whilst away in the motorhome.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Was that recent or a while ago? LV used to be great on the phone & well priced for motorhome insurance (low cover level for contents) but now bought out by Allianz & some of the call centre staff are not as well trained as before :( Many of their car & home policies are still highly rated though. We have moved most of our policies away from them now to Saga but always shop around each year & examine the boring small print closely - well Mr Wombles does!

Around four months ago, very disappointing I have to say.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I have used Nationwide twice, in France and Spain. Very good service both times (y)

Aug 12, 2020
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Citroen romahome
Exp
Since 2016

l,
I have used Nationwide twice, in France and Spain. Very good service both times (y)
LV are ageist sods, turned me down flat for being over 70.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi All
I’m about to renew my insurance on my motorhome.I have a Nationwide flex plus account which has insurance that covers my motorhome for European break down .Has anybody had the need to use them whilst abroad breakdown or repatriation.How good are they?
At the moment I am insured with Safeguard which includes European cover with its policy. If the Nationwide were Ok I could go with a cheaper motorhome company LV which does not have European cover saving me £90.00.

Dave
Make sure you check out the terms for Nationwide as I can't remember if they have a number of days' limit for breakdown abroad (the travel insurance is 31 days away at any one time I think, if you want more you have to pay extra for it). Of course one advantage is the cover for all of your vehicles so if you need breakdown for them too now or in the near future this could make it better to go for Nationwide rather than individual vehicle policies or a 'personal recovery' one from the usual breakdown companies.

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Super service from Nationwide when a mechanic failed to tighten a bolt on one of our brake discs. Within an hour the van was on the ramp having both front discs replaced.

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
Just read the small print! Had an issue with the car. Collected twice for a problem which was eventually fixed - no complaints. Shalln"t say why but started to refuel Moho with petrol not Diesel. They arranged someone to come out but I had to pay for everything. Expensive mistake!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Just read the small print! Had an issue with the car. Collected twice for a problem which was eventually fixed - no complaints. Shalln"t say why but started to refuel Moho with petrol not Diesel. They arranged someone to come out but I had to pay for everything. Expensive mistake!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
When you say pay for everything do you mean you had to pay to dispose of your contaminated petrol/diesel and for the new diesel they put in your tank? Would think that was reasonable.BUSBY.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I have just switched accounts to Nationwide flexi plus. In the process right now. I wanted it mainly for the travel insurance which you can maintain after you are 70 at a reasonable premium.
Phil

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
When you say pay for everything do you mean you had to pay to dispose of your contaminated petrol/diesel and for the new diesel they put in your tank? Would think that was reasonable.BUSBY.
Yeap. Don't disagree but some breakdown companies do cover misfuelling. Hence my comment - read the small print.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Yeap. Don't disagree but some breakdown companies do cover misfuelling. Hence my comment - read the small print.
Probably but will they give the same European cover as Nationwide.When I buggered up refueling a few years ago a couple of times I used a bit of hose and a can or two and just siphoned my tank.FREE.,,BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back