Jan 31, 2013
Southwater
Funster No
MH
Fiat Autotrail
Exp
Not long
I wonder

How many times do people drink too much, forget where they are or what they are doing. Wake up and are at best half asleep and more often than not haven't a clue where they are or how they got there. Obviously they were gassed because their mouth tastes like the bottom of a parrots cage, their head belongs to someone else oh and their money has gone, etc.,

I served in the RAF and I still recall one time when after being on duty for almost 96 hours with no proper sleep I finally got to bed at about 8 pm. When I woke up it was 5.30 am and I felt refreshed. I got the shock of my life when I picked the paper up and realised that it was two days later! I hadn't been gassed, I had had one pint of beer and apart from getting up to do the necessities I had slept the sleep of the dead. Yet I had locked my room door.

Some years ago I was in a country where they drive on the opposite side of the road to the UK. I saw a male walk off the footpath into the path of a car and then he started giving the driver a load of verbal abuse, told her she was blind, driving the wrong *** way and a lot more. When I pointed out to him that he wasn't in the UK but in Tenerife and in Spain they drive on the right and therefore he was the one who should look where he was going, he looked amazed and then told me to go away in jerky movements stormed off.

People leave their brain behind when they leave home, forget to lock doors and leave valuables on display. They become convinced that they must have been gassed because they are not insured if they admit they were drunk, left the doors open etc.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If a gas attack alarm makes you feel safe, then get one. They cover other gases as well, so will not be a total waste of money - but if that gives you the confidence - then fine.

The gas attack in my personal opinion is more urban legend. You have more chance of your gas bottle spontaneously exploding than being gassed and robbed - the chances are that low if any.

Most people I have met abroad -even in some 'uncomfortable' areas have been harmless . Use your instincts when overnighting - if it feels dodgy, it may well be - move on.
Don't stop to help broken down motorists, stop where you are safe and enjoy!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Necroposting........

Bringing an old thread back from the dead!::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
If a gas attack alarm makes you feel safe, then get one. They cover other gases as well, so will not be a total waste of money - but if that gives you the confidence - then fine.

The gas attack in my personal opinion is [HI]more urban legend[/HI]. You have more chance of your gas bottle spontaneously exploding than being gassed and robbed - the chances are that low if any.

Most people I have met abroad -even in some 'uncomfortable' areas have been harmless . Use your instincts when overnighting - if it feels dodgy, it may well be - move on.
Don't stop to help broken down motorists, stop where you are safe and enjoy!
I knew two people in Spain who this happened to but about 5 years ago
however If you park up with others in non secluded spots it is very unlikely
it was attributed to Romanian gangs but I gather the Guardia Civil did arrest
a few then it seemed to die out
but best take no chances.:Sad:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

I doubt that very much. Not that you knew them, but that they were gassed. It doesn't happen. < that's a Full stop::bigsmile:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Always someone who knew someone, never first hand with evidence. :yawn:

Craig

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
I doubt that very much. Not that you knew them, but that they were gassed. It doesn't happen. < that's a Full stop::bigsmile:
Well they were treated in Torrevieja hospital
but then (It could have been anything while they were robbed)

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Not a myth

Gas attacks are not a myth
My good friend (a hgv driver) got gassed while on the continent in his hgv
The first he knew was being woke up by the Police
He says when he woke his doors where open and all his stuff in the cab was gone. laptop, satnav, money and so on
When i saw his face the ay after if was a mess, bulging eyes and a funny colour, it took he a few days until he could drive again
they had done most of the truck park
But the tragedy is, although the gassers dont want to kill anyone they leave the doors open to let the gas escape after wards
they had gassed a truck with special door locks which the attackers could not open
My friend saw the body carried from the truck

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Gas attacks are not a myth
My good friend (a hgv driver) got gassed while on the continent in his hgv
The first he knew was being woke up by the Police
He says when he woke his doors where open and all his stuff in the cab was gone. laptop, satnav, money and so on
When i saw his face the ay after if was a mess, bulging eyes and a funny colour, it took he a few days until he could drive again
they had done most of the truck park
But the tragedy is, although the gassers dont want to kill anyone they leave the doors open to let the gas escape after wards
they had gassed a truck with special door locks which the attackers could not open
My friend saw the body carried from the truck

Hi Duane, your friend thinks he was gassed, but I doubt he was, so do these guys Link Removed

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a gas alarm, it's in gas of gas leaks (propane) though sometimes goes off when the dog is asleep by it (methane). Whether it would go off in the presence of the wonderful, if non-existant, gas unknown to science, I wouldn't know.:roflmto:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Impossible. BUSBY

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Think thats one less problem to worry about. Not that i ever did. BUSBY

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Someone should inform the French Police that it doesn't happen..

when asked they said ..

Third question : Gassing

I am afraid i have to tell you something you won't like : It does happen !

They are mainly southern policemen and so are used to see people gassed in south-east. They told me that most motorhomers being gassed are around Antibes, Nice, Monaco, Marseilles.

The gangs come from eastern Europe: They are from "Ukraine", "Pologne" etc.... They already got gangs in action. They told me that this was still in a rather low % and never saw this happen elsewhere than in eastern parts of France.

that, and other France related questions answered on this thread

Broken Link Removed

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Someone should inform the French Police that it doesn't happen..

when asked they said ..

that, and other France related questions answered on this thread

Broken Link Removed

IMO They are mistaken. Its an easy 'cop' out.
Meanwhile I've just fired an email of to CFAR be interesting to see what they say.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
IMO They are mistaken.[HI] Its an easy 'cop' out[/HI].
Meanwhile I've just fired an email of to CFAR be interesting to see what they say.

yes, quite likely ..
look forward to reading what the French anaesthetists have to say :Smile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A Typical Gas Attack Report:RollEyes::RollEyes:

They set it up with plenty of drama

North truckers have been [HI]warned of a new lorry-jacking craze where it's believed that victims are gassed before having their vehicles ransacked.[/HI]
Crooks are targeting overnight rest stops used by long-distance drivers up and down the country for the crime, we can reveal.
They wait until the driver is asleep before spraying commonly available motoring products into the cab through vents or slightly open windows.
Police say this can act like an anaesthetic and throw the sleeping driver into a much deeper slumber, incapacitating him for several hours.
[HI]It is then that the thieves strike . .[/HI] . able to steal from the vehicle without fear of disturbance.
When the driver does eventually wake up he will feel groggy and suffer a severe headache but have little or no recollection of the attack.
And then pass a lazy truckers theft off as part of an attack.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

One North-based lorry driver who did not want to be identified told the Sunday Sun how he has already fallen victim to the crime. He said: "It happened near Northampton about three weeks ago. I'd been quite tired so I just decided to pull over and catch a few hours.
"I can remember stopping the truck and getting myself comfortable. It must have been about 1am. Next thing I remember was waking up. It was daylight and when I looked at my watch it was after 9am.
"I remember thinking it was strange that I'd slept so long but I thought I may have been coming down with flu or something because my head was pounding.
[HI]"I got out for some fresh air and when I walked round the back of the trailer I realised I'd been got. I couldn't figure out how I hadn't heard anything.
"It wasn't until I got speaking to some other lads that I found out this was the latest thing. I don't know for definite, but I can only assume I'd been sedated in this way.
[/HI]It's quite frightening really."
Truckpol, who's business it was to collate truck crime repeatedly said it was a myth.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Happened to me three times last week. One minute I was just sipping a small glass of wine, next thing it's breakfast time. God know what they used, my head was terrible.

Luck was on my side, nothing worth pinching or they were disturbed.

It will happen again, I know, must get one of those alarms.

SHIIIIT!

Now we have another set of baddies to worry about...

The Narcowine non robbers.

Now I know who to blame.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
The b*stards have struck again - and in my own home!

No sooner had I started watching Pointless today than someone must have gassed me.

I came to on the sofa as the One Show started and found a fiver had been taken from my wallet.

The wife swears blind it wasn't her - so I must have been gassed and robbed within the confines of my own home.

"How they did it I'll never know!" I thought to myself a few minutes ago as I washed and wiped my Whisky glass.

So, beware - you could be next!

:france::france::france:

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
On the way back from Val Thorens we stopped in a aire overnight.

We slept very well, in fact too well! I was immediately suspicious and in the morning I noticed a small mark on the door which I hadn't noticed before!

I think it was caused by gang trying to prise the door open with an A-frame after they had gassed us!::bigsmile:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Apparently in my local reservoir (Rutland) when the water level is unusually low you can still hear the bell toll in the submerged church :Eeek:

Surely this must be the hideout of these eastern block gas wielding criminal masterminds?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Apparently in my local reservoir (Rutland) when the water level is unusually low you can still hear the bell toll in the submerged church

There must be some serious water pressure happening in Rutland Water to move a church bell enough for it to toll underwater. Sounds a bit urban (or should I say rural) legendish to me.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Usually these stories start because of the embarrassment of being robbed at night. The front doors on the pre 2007 Citroen Peugeot and Fiat doors can be so easily opened without damage. Most men throw their trousers over the back of the passenger seat before bed and a lot of ladies put their hand bags there to. Usually wallet is still in trousers, passports etc in hand bag. So easy to rob if you dont secure these doors. Simply drill a hole through door into up down lock button and insert a split pin and you are secure. GASSING IS IMPOSSIBLE without a fatality or two. Not heard of any. BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back