Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Hi all,
I'll be in Naples in a couple of days and might stay up at Caserta and take the train/ bus into Naples historico and Pompey , is this too far away? I have read a thread suggesting similar from Sorrento.
But...I would definitely want to drive around the Amalfi coast line , I'm driving a hymer B584, 6mtrs long x 3 high X 2.3 wide) it's November? ???

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As far as I know MHs are banned from the Amalfi road during the day, for very good reason, it's scary driving a Corsa.

Public transport is great, from Sorrento the train takes you to Pompeii, Herculenium, Naples and we got the fast boat back from Naples to Sorrento.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I've been round that coast road in a tourist coach and in a service bus so it can be done, although with some reversing and juggling in the case of the tourist coach. Lots of hairpins, steep drops and tight bits, plus keep a wary eye out for balconies. I don't think the parking opportunities are great for bigger vehicles round there so all you'd probably end up doing is driving it without stopping. I could certainly understand them barring MHs as @hilldweller says.

Sorrento is closer to Pompeii and Herculaneum and on the same stretch of railway line. You might have to change trains at Naples coming in from Caserta. Plus Sorrento's on the coast, so maybe a bit more picturesque. You'd have no trouble getting into Camping Nube d'Argento in Sorrento with a 6m vehicle, if they're still open. Drive past the entrance, turn round at the next Y junction, and approach from the other direction.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The train service around the bay is excellent.
Motorhomes are not banned on Amalfi coast road as far as I could tell, saw a few along there on recent fly holiday. 50 seater buses Pass each other ok with care and there are lay-bys and pull-ins to stop and admire the view. Peak season may be another matter.
Parking in the town's could be difficult especially Positano and Amalfi and parking out of town will mean a steep / long walk in.
Enjoy, it's a beautiful region.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I looked for signs and didn't see that one.
Maybe one of those laws that are not enforced by Italians. As said there were a number of motorhomes in first week of October. Wouldn't like to do it in august but out of season I definitely would drive it.
Much of the road has been widened in recent years with cantilever overhangs so with care it's not too bad, certainly big tour buses manage

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Hmm can only find one place in Sorrento on campers top, at the Terminal. But changing trains sounds stressful so might just head to the closest park to the site I'm aiming for?
Thanks for the heads up on the Amalfi road, and that YouTube footage was reassuring.
Thanks all, great feedback.

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Yes, it was fine, a bit tight in places. Parking is scarce in the town's, the police whistled me in Amalfi town and told me to keep going? I would have liked to stop there for a walk about. I also cycled from the parking site to both Herculaneum and Naples roughly 3-4 km for both, that was fine too, Italian drivers are very mindful of cyclists.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back