MultiECUscan – again

Joined
Aug 2, 2025
Posts
556
Likes collected
2,534
Location
Clanfield, Hants
Funster No
114,251
MH
Auto-Trail
Is there a definitive guide on here for MultiECUscan?

I’m more than used to using this type of gear on my Landrovers, Ducatis, and Mercury Outboard, and I’m now wanting something for our 2021 Ducato based PVC.
I was hoping that the specific and expensive gear for my CanBus Ducatis would work on the Fiat, but appears not to be so.

I am aware that there is possibly a gateway that will stop me clearing some/all codes and amending/uploading config files, but even if I can just read them I can focus my attention to fix things.
From what I’ve read this element appears to be a lottery if the gateway is fitted or not, and I might be lucky with a 2021 van.
But it wouldn’t stop me buying one and using it to read codes.

At this point I’m looking for basic information on what to buy, what extras do I need, and where to buy to ensure I don’t get a ripped off cheap version that doesn’t work so well.

Ta
 
I thought the gateway came about 2018 and you need the yellow Scan cable to bypass it. I’m no expert and our van is 2016 so don’t need it.
 
Kannon Fodda might be able to guide you to a good vender as I know he has bought the correct leads and equipment...
 
Best place to get the software and the correct leads is from Gendan. Some lookalike leads from places like the rainforest aren't always compatible.

Getting usb lead to work on windows can need setup to correct coms device in Multicuescan.

The secure gateway (SGW) thing started to be fitted around 2018, but not to every Ducato. My 2019 doesn't have it. But by 2021? Gendan do have a bypass device which may work.

Whatever, Multicuescan should be able to read and diagnose with correct leads, just may not be able to change much if you can't bypass the SGW.
 
Multiecuscan worked fine on my 2021 MH. Trying to find something that works with a 2025 build now.
 
If you buy or borrow the leads you can download a limited use free version that will show if a swg is fitted. You can get a cable to bypass the early ones before they were intigated into the bcm.
 
Thanks everyone, looks like I'm contacting Gendan.

Ours is the 2.3 so I'm hoping it will not have the gateway, but it does appear to be a lottery.

It probably depends on how the base vehicle was sourced by the Motorhome manufacturer.
Full Vans for PVC builds could be sourced differently than Cab and Chassis for Coachbuilts through different supply chains from the factory, and the factory will supply different specs to the different supply chains.
 
I use it on my 2021 van. No issues/restrictions experienced so far. Found and cleared faults, reset service schedule etc.
 
My 2020 Swift Coachbuilt had no Gateway and MES worked fine.
However, although it was registered in 2020 (one of two vehicles of that model registered in 2020!), the vehicle was actually manufactured in 2017, so had been hanging around a fair bit. I did know it was an early build before I bought it though.
I had/have an old version of MES that I bought for use years ago on my Fiat Doblo. Luckily, although I was too tight to update it to the latest version, it was still valid for the Ducato.
 
Thanks all

I'm really pleasantly surprised by the cost of the MultiECUscan kit compared to my other brand/model specific (aftermarket, not OEM) kit which were all @£400-£700.
From their finder tool for our van:

From the Gendan website, which suggests only 2022 Ducato onwards can't be bypassed if fitted:

First generation SGW modules can generally be simply bypassed, by unplugging the SGW from the car, and connecting an SGW Bypass Adaptor in its place.

However, a second generation SGW is now being fitted to some models (e.g. Fiat 500e 2020-on, Fiat Ducato x290 MCA approx. 2022-on). The 2nd gen units are integrated into the Body Control Module, and so cannot be practically bypassed. See our SGW help article for more information.
 
Thanks all

I'm really pleasantly surprised by the cost of the MultiECUscan kit compared to my other brand/model specific (aftermarket, not OEM) kit which were all @£400-£700.
From their finder tool for our van:

From the Gendan website, which suggests only 2022 Ducato onwards can't be bypassed if fitted:

First generation SGW modules can generally be simply bypassed, by unplugging the SGW from the car, and connecting an SGW Bypass Adaptor in its place.

However, a second generation SGW is now being fitted to some models (e.g. Fiat 500e 2020-on, Fiat Ducato x290 MCA approx. 2022-on). The 2nd gen units are integrated into the Body Control Module, and so cannot be practically bypassed. See our SGW help article for more information.
What kit did you buy , I have same year / engine on my PVC .

Thanks .
 
Best place to get the software and the correct leads is from Gendan. Some lookalike leads from places like the rainforest aren't always compatible.

Getting usb lead to work on windows can need setup to correct coms device in Multicuescan.

The secure gateway (SGW) thing started to be fitted around 2018, but not to every Ducato. My 2019 doesn't have it. But by 2021? Gendan do have a bypass device which may work.

Whatever, Multicuescan should be able to read and diagnose with correct leads, just may not be able to change much if you can't bypass the SGW.

Can I just add to your excellent post, that there is a practice simulation one can do on the Multiecuscan before involving one's vehicle if one wants to.

I also concur wholeheartedly that the very helpful people at Gendan, are the people to get in touch with! 👍
 
Is there a definitive guide on here for MultiECUscan?

I’m more than used to using this type of gear on my Landrovers, Ducatis, and Mercury Outboard, and I’m now wanting something for our 2021 Ducato based PVC.
I was hoping that the specific and expensive gear for my CanBus Ducatis would work on the Fiat, but appears not to be so.

I am aware that there is possibly a gateway that will stop me clearing some/all codes and amending/uploading config files, but even if I can just read them I can focus my attention to fix things.
From what I’ve read this element appears to be a lottery if the gateway is fitted or not, and I might be lucky with a 2021 van.
But it wouldn’t stop me buying one and using it to read codes.

At this point I’m looking for basic information on what to buy, what extras do I need, and where to buy to ensure I don’t get a ripped off cheap version that doesn’t work so well.

Ta
I m up the road from you, just your side of the Hindhead Tunnel.

I have the all singing all dancing gendan fiat thingy you are looking for.

It reads everything (not that I understand it) but cannot clear the faults such as airbag and filter red lights, which was what it was bought for. I think they are about £450 new, youre more than welcome to run up, or I can run down as we pass that way fairly often, and I ll bring my lappy as it has to work on that, and you can see what it does for you. I ve only used it twice so it may be hit and miss to get it working, but if i ve done it twice should be ok. 2022 Ducato
 
I m up the road from you, just your side of the Hindhead Tunnel.

I have the all singing all dancing gendan fiat thingy you are looking for.

It reads everything (not that I understand it) but cannot clear the faults such as airbag and filter red lights, which was what it was bought for. I think they are about £450 new, youre more than welcome to run up, or I can run down as we pass that way fairly often, and I ll bring my lappy as it has to work on that, and you can see what it does for you. I ve only used it twice so it may be hit and miss to get it working, but if i ve done it twice should be ok. 2022 Ducato

Have you spoken to Gendan, they used to be VERY helpful to an electrical ignoramus like me and you might just need a different connection? 🤔
 
Have you spoken to Gendan, they used to be VERY helpful to an electrical ignoramus like me and you might just need a different connection? 🤔
The connections I have work perfectly. If I remember correctly there are 6 of them and I think I have them all. It also does other motors beyond Fiat.

Its just not going to do what I want it to do because of the SGW. I think I did contact Gendan at the time.

It was purchased from another funster who had the same issue that I thought, wrongly, I could get round
 
I m up the road from you, just your side of the Hindhead Tunnel.

I have the all singing all dancing gendan fiat thingy you are looking for.

It reads everything (not that I understand it) but cannot clear the faults such as airbag and filter red lights, which was what it was bought for. I think they are about £450 new, youre more than welcome to run up, or I can run down as we pass that way fairly often, and I ll bring my lappy as it has to work on that, and you can see what it does for you. I ve only used it twice so it may be hit and miss to get it working, but if i ve done it twice should be ok. 2022 Ducato
Many thanks for that, and of course to others for the replies.
I will probably take you up on your offer and pop up to see you in the van, I'll be in touch soon to arrange something.

I need to have a better look at what's available rather than just the quick look I had yesterday and make a decision.

I wonder if they are at the NEC next week.
 
Many thanks for that, and of course to others for the replies.
I will probably take you up on your offer and pop up to see you in the van, I'll be in touch soon to arrange something.

I need to have a better look at what's available rather than just the quick look I had yesterday and make a decision.

I wonder if they are at the NEC next week.
No worries, its not going anywhere, and nor are we for 4 months !

I ll hunt it out (I think its in the van)
 

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Log in

Already a member? Log in here.

Forum posts reflect the views of individual users and not MotorhomeFun.
MotorhomeFun does not endorse or verify user-generated content.

Back
Top