MP3s and MOTs (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Just tried to book my MP3 in for its first MOT at my usual test station. He wanted to know the centre distance between the front wheels.
Mine is 460mm so he can't test it because he doesn't have a licence to test cars. However his mate round the corner who has a car test station can test it.
However if the centre distance is 400mm or less his mate couldn't test it because it is classed as a bike and he doesn't have a licence to test bikes whereas my mate could test it because he has a licence for bikes.
So I will take the Wing tomorrow and get that tested and then find a test station a bit closer for the MP3.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Yes, it’s my understanding that there is a threshold spacing between the wheels that dictate whether a three wheeler is a bike or a car (even if it looks obvious that it’s a bike!). Don’t know the dimensions though.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
2 Application (Classes 1 and 2)
This manual is a detailed guide to the inspection for statutory MOT testing of the following Classes:

• Class 1 – motorcycle or motorcycle combination up to 200cc
  • Class 2 – all motorcycles or motorcycle combinations including Class 1
Classes 1 and 2 both include categories L1, L3 or L4.

A motorcycle combination has at least one wheeled element that’s clearly a sidecar. It’s acceptable if changes have been made to a solo motorcycle’s components such as brakes, tyres and suspension when it’s been adapted for use with a sidecar.

Other than for the inspection of tyres, any two wheels of a motorcycle shall be regarded as one wheel if the distance between the centres of the areas of contact between the wheels and the road surface is less than 460mm.

You should be aware that this may affect the test class, for example a three-wheeled vehicle with a wheel layout more than 460mm must be tested as a tricycle (Class 3).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back