Mounting Poynting Antenna Through Roof Grommet or Similar? (1 Viewer)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I am looking at replacing my 5G antenna for another antenna that that supports 4x4 mimo as well as Wifi and GPS so i can make the most out of my new RUTX50 teltonika router that i have just purchased (current one only supports 2x2 mimo), the issue is that where my current antenna is there is not enough room to mount this new one as it's rectangle and not round (link below of actual antenna).

https://www.solwise.co.uk/A-MIMO-3-V2-17

Has anyone mounted this flat on the roof and routed the cable through a roof gland like they use for solar panels etc as from what I can see the cables that come out of this antenna are bunched together but still individual so would not form a water proof seal around the grommet entry.

Any one got any pics of their install that they can either post here or send to me via pm?

If i remove the existing antenna i will have a 25mm hole which i can easily then cover over with a cable entry gland but not if i cannot make it water tight where the cable enters the gland.

I would also likely have to mount it sideways on the roof and not follow the usual contour which i am assuming wont matter as long as its stuck down enough (sikaflex), no way i can mount it the usual way without a longer run of cables on the roof.

Also the poynting antenna mentioned above does not seem to go up very high in the bands compared to the ones i usually go for from panorama, as the high end is 3800mhz where as on the panorama its 6000mhz. It does however go lower on the lower bands which is better for rural locations as the poynting one starts at 410mhz where as the panorama starts at 617mhz

This is the panorama equivalent ie 4x4mimo but it's way to expensive at just under £390 but has a higher frequency band going up to 6000mhz but only from 617mhz on the lower band.

My current panorama has been excellent which is why i was going to stay with them but at that price its hard to justify it compared to the poynting equivalent.

Any assistance appreciated.

Reactions: DBK

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I am looking at replacing my 5G antenna for another antenna that that supports 4x4 mimo as well as Wifi and GPS so i can make the most out of my new RUTX50 teltonika router that i have just purchased (current one only supports 2x2 mimo), the issue is that where my current antenna is there is not enough room to mount this new one as it's rectangle and not round (link below of actual antenna).

Has anyone mounted this flat on the roof and routed the cable through a roof gland like they use for solar panels etc as from what I can see the cables that come out of this antenna are bunched together but still individual so would not form a water proof seal around the grommet entry.

Any one got any pics of their install that they can either post here or send to me via pm?

If i remove the existing antenna i will have a 25mm hole which i can easily then cover over with a cable entry gland but not if i cannot make it water tight where the cable enters the gland.

I would also likely have to mount it sideways on the roof and not follow the usual contour which i am assuming wont matter as long as its stuck down enough (sikaflex), no way i can mount it the usual way without a longer run of cables on the roof.

Also the poynting antenna mentioned above does not seem to go up very high in the bands compared to the ones i usually go for from panorama, as the high end is 3800mhz where as on the panorama its 6000mhz. It does however go lower on the lower bands which is better for rural locations as the poynting one starts at 410mhz where as the panorama starts at 617mhz

This is the panorama equivalent ie 4x4mimo but it's way to expensive at just under £390 but has a higher frequency band going up to 6000mhz but only from 617mhz on the lower band.

My current panorama has been excellent which is why i was going to stay with them but at that price its hard to justify it compared to the poynting equivalent.

We've got similar model but not mounted it yet but Lenny HB and, I think, DBK have similar models and may be able to give a steer.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I mounted a Poynting MIMO flat on the roof it requires a 20mm hole. The base of it has a large sticky pad that covers the hole base. I removed the pad and fixed it with Sikaflex, probably not necessary the pad is very sticky.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
zac I mounted my Poynting Mimo on a fabricated aluminium 'top hat' bracket attached to the roof with sikaflex and ran the cables to an existing cable entry box that was conveniently installed by the coach-built manufacturer.

Photo of the roof attached, Mimo antenna on LHS of roof.

Maybe this would work for you?
IMG_20220422_105348490_HDR~2.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

I fitted a Poynting 2*2 MiMo antenna on the roof of my PVC which wasn't difficult. If you have an insulated roof which is too thick for the spigot you could stick it down with Sikaflex, which will be permanent, or bodge or have made :) an extension to the threaded spigot with a female coupler.

I doubt the antenna would work well mounted on a vertical surface but you could ask Poynting, they reply quickly to emails in my experience. Alternatively, see if you can find any polar plots which show how it works in three dimensions. My guess is the individual antenna will be configured to operate on a horizontal surface.

Keep the cable runs as short as possible. Move the router closer to the antenna if the antenna will only fit in one place.

I would go for whatever works best in remote rural locations. You don't need one of these antenna if you are always going to be near towns.

There's a link to the installation in my signature below. This shows a MiFi but I now use a Teltonika router.

Last edited:

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I fitted mine using the pad it came with directly over the space above the fridge and fed the cables through the securing tube that it comes with. Very simple task.

• Informative
Reactions: zac
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
zac I mounted my Poynting Mimo on a fabricated aluminium 'top hat' bracket attached to the roof with sikaflex and ran the cables to an existing cable entry box that was conveniently installed by the coach-built manufacturer.

Photo of the roof attached, Mimo antenna on LHS of roof.

Maybe this would work for you?View attachment 872024
This is what I am after as I cannot use the existing hole as there is not enough room for this new antenna as its a lot longer than my current one. Did you have any issues with the cable going into the gland? As the cables although bunched together are actually separate from the photos I have looked at.
What size gland did you use?

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I fitted a Poynting 2*2 MiMo antenna on the roof of my PVC which wasn't difficult. If you have an insulated roof which is too thick for the spigot you could stick it down with Sikaflex, which will be permanent, or bodge or have made :) an extension to the threaded spigot with a female coupler.

I doubt the antenna would work well mounted on a vertical surface but you could ask Poynting, they reply quickly to emails in my experience. Alternatively, see if you can find any polar plots which show how it works in three dimensions. My guess is the individual antenna will be configured to operate on a horizontal surface.

Keep the cable runs as short as possible. Move the router closer to the antenna if the antenna will only fit in one place.

I would go for whatever works best in remote rural locations. You don't need one of these antenna if you are always going to be near towns.

There's a link to the installation in my signature below. This shows a MiFi but I now use a Teltonika router.
Unfortunately I cannot use the hole that the current antenna occupies as this new antenna is larger so won't fit in the space I have left on the roof. I will need to mount it away from the hole and then route the cables back to the hole into some form of roof gland. I am just conscious about it being water right where the cable goes into the gland.

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
zac I used a standard 20mm cable gland. I fed each cable individually through the outer gland clamp fitting and sealing ring, then fed the cables through the enclosure gland opening separately, then through the gland nut and tightened the nut and gland clamp up.

I also sealed the inner face of the gland nut with silicone as a precautionary measure just in case moisture got through the gland clamp sealing ring.

• Informative
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
zac I used a standard 20mm cable gland. I fed each cable individually through the outer gland clamp fitting and sealing ring, then fed the cables through the enclosure gland opening separately, then through the gland nut and tightened the nut and gland clamp up.

I also sealed the inner face of the gland nut with silicone as a precautionary measure just in case moisture got through the gland clamp sealing ring.

That great thanks for replying, attached is a photo which will explain my setup a bit more but essentially what you have done is similar to what I need to do aside from mounting it on a metal plate that is. Just need to find a suitable junction box as i was thinking of printing out a spigot out with threads on each end and a hole in the middle which would then go through the 25mm hole left with a nut on the inside of the van to hold that in place then drill a hole in the bottom of a junction box and thread the other end so it sits inside the box with the nut to secure it in place. Then do as you have done and use grommet to feed cable in and ensure its sealed around the outside of the box as well as the gland inside and outside.

1709803382754.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
on a side note, why does this part of the forum (motorhome accessories) does not allow to be notified by email of a reply to my post as there is no option like on there are on the other categories?

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Am also worried that Gromett will not want to be on your roof at all?

• Funny
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
on a side note, why does this part of the forum (motorhome accessories) does not allow to be notified by email of a reply to my post as there is no option like on there are on the other categories?
That has been disabled across the board.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
That has been disabled across the board.

just seen the post and really this is an issue with the big players like MS and Google and in correcetly labelling sites as spammers when they are clearly not. I know what a headache it can be to get them to remove an IP from their banned list and its not one for the faint hearted.

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
zac, maybe one of these would do the job as you can select the thread length.

For belt and braces you could also use a standard outdoor rated junction box and drill a hole in the base to accommodate the above then sikaflex to the roof and tighten up the nut on the spigot for a leak proof solution.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
zac, maybe one of these would do the job as you can select the thread length.

For belt and braces you could also use a standard outdoor rated junction box and drill a hole in the base to accommodate the above then sikaflex to the roof and tighten up the nut on the spigot for a leak proof solution.

Don't need the starlink sorting as that's done already and works a treat, this is for the 4/5G/WIFI/GPS Antenna, i will just print the spigot or i will when i get another 3D printer but that's essentially what I am thinking yes

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Not sure of your roof thickness but this is 80mm long.
roof is 40mm so more than enough, just brought 2 as will save me printing any as well as purchasing one of these

Just need to purchase the antenna now, just concerned it does not go up into the higher bands like the current panorama one does which has been very good on the 2x2 mimo

Last edited:
May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
I've had my Mimo installed for a couple of years and so far I've not been without a mobile signal. I use it with a Teltonika RUT240 and for the last year an IQ mobile data SIM.

• Informative
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
I had a shotgun cable from my Poynting and I put it throught a normal solar entry box. As the grommet was leaking on this I designed and printed a TPU grommet that is still watertight more than a year later. The compromise was that I had to slice the grommet to get it around the cable. Went through a lot of iterations to get the right infill etc etc to make it "squeezy" enough
Screenshot 2024-03-07 142526.png

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I had a shotgun cable from my Poynting and I put it throught a normal solar entry box. As the grommet was leaking on this I designed and printed a TPU grommet that is still watertight more than a year later. The compromise was that I had to slice the grommet to get it around the cable. Went through a lot of iterations to get the right infill etc etc to make it "squeezy" enoughView attachment 872322
forgive my ignorance but what's a shotgun cable and will that fit the antenna i am getting?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
forgive my ignorance but what's a shotgun cable and will that fit the antenna i am getting?
Shotgun cable is two parallel cables bonded together - looks like the mouth of a shotgun . My Poynting has a shotgun cable and I only had a regular solar entry box available so I removed my Visionplus TV aerial and put a smaller magnetic aerial in the left grommet as you look at the picture and put the Poynting cables through the right 3D printed grommet as you look at the picture. Please excuse my shcoking Sikaflexing ability - no one ever was supposed to see it from this angle!!​

Screenshot 2024-03-07 145452.png

• Informative
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Shotgun cable is two parallel cables bonded together - looks like the mouth of a shotgun . My Poynting has a shotgun cable and I only had a regular solar entry box available so I removed my Visionplus TV aerial and put a smaller magnetic aerial in the left grommet as you look at the picture and put the Poynting cables through the right 3D printed grommet as you look at the picture. Please excuse my shcoking Sikaflexing ability - no one ever was supposed to see it from this angle!!​

View attachment 872326
very interesting, thanks for sending that as the more info the better.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Do people sikaflex the actual antenna underneath where the sticky pad is or just around the outside once stuck to the roof?

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Tightening the gland should compress all the cables together to effectively make one cable.
Hi, its not the cable i am referring too its the underneath of the actual antenna itself

see here
Do people sikaflex the actual antenna underneath where the sticky pad is or just around the outside once stuck to the roof?

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Regarding the above, have you already seen this Poynting antenna?…

• Informative
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Indeed but it works of a higher band ie that one starts at 617mhz where as one i quoted starts in the lower bands ie 410mhz which is better for rural although my current panorama has a similar band range as to the one you posted and thats been excellent so i am not sure it would matter. Just want to ensure i get the best possible as i dont want to change it again as this will be the 3rd attenna as never thought i was going to get a router that had 4x4 mimo
The higher bands are similar though to both the panorama and the one you listed.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Indeed but it works of a higher band ie that one starts at 617mhz where as one i quoted starts in the lower bands ie 410mhz which is better for rural although my current panorama has a similar band range as to the one you posted and thats been excellent so i am not sure it would matter. Just want to ensure i get the best possible as i dont want to change it again as this will be the 3rd attenna as never thought i was going to get a router that had 4x4 mimo
The higher bands are similar though to both the panorama and the one you listed.
Is the 410mhz range used for cellular/lte comms? I’ve no clue, but if so, maybe the following note isn’t applicable to the UK?…

• Informative

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back