Motorhomes With Large Garage Area (1 Viewer)

Just_James

Free Member
Apr 22, 2018
Funster No
Although I'm a little while off purchasing the MH yet I'm trying to get as much research done as possible before I hand over my hard earned.

One of my main criteria will be to have a large garage area. I won't be carrying a motorbike or bicycles but want the type that has the large area capable of doing so as I will have relatively bulky equipment I'll want to take on my travels (including large photography drone, tools etc and also want the room to upgrade / tinker with extra leisure batteries, large capacity lpg tank and so on).

From what I've seen so far there seem to be surprisingly few that have this really useful extra space. One I quite like the look of is the Chausson 610 but haven't seen one in 'the flesh'. Are there any other particular models I should be keeping my eye out for? I expect my budget will be in the region of £30k - £40k for a used model.

What are the advantages of not having this extra storage area? It seems that head room is restricted in the bed area when it is raised above the garage space but that is no issue for me as I don't need to sit up in bed so is there something else I'm missing?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi

I guess it depends how "big" as in long high and heavy you are prepared to go, you can get a large garage space and plenty of headroom in the bedroom but the van will be well over 3 metres tall, RWD chassis would be my choice especially if you are planning on carting a bit of weight around so you will most likely be plated at 5 or 6 tonne, are you OK with these weights.

Martin

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
One I quite like the look of is the Chausson 610
Some of the chausson range that have the drop down beds have a good size garage as they dont have to accommodate a bed ar the back which in turn usually reduces the garage height on a coach built..
Ive got the chausson 620... which also has a big garage space with access from both sides and the rear...
Andy.

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Totally agree Martin, mine is 5,750kg and was the tallest doors needed for my trike of course.

It is the Frankia Platin plus at 8.58 metres.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Decide what you might carry in your garage. If you’re not going to put a scooter or motorbike in it, you may not need such a large (or high) one. Lower height garages make the bedroom more spacious and getting into bed much easier. A level floor (no steps) can be an asset when trying to fumble around quietly at night.

Upvote 0

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
I have a chausson 610, and it’s great. It has plenty of seating in the lounge area and the drop down bed from the ceiling. It’s just a bit over 6.5 metres long and is very easy to drive. The garage is big enough for two push bikes and all associated tables, chairs etc that you need, and has a door each side and the rear of the van for easy access to the whole garage.
Instead of a bed over the garage it has the most enormous shower, and toilet and a verrrry spacious wardrobe. The fridge is nearly as big as my one at home!
As far as payload goes, I believe it is about 550kg, but that is according to the manufacturers claims...so should be taken with a pinch of salt. It is apparently only a paper exercise to up rate to 3850kg.
I have only had it a couple of months, but I think it is great!
There is a Facebook page called chausson owners group which I have found very helpful for all manner of questions about the marque, it may be worth you joining it.
Good luck whatever you decide.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Just_James

Just_James

Free Member
Apr 22, 2018
Funster No
Thanks for all the replies and advice so far! (y)

Yes I'm gradually getting an understanding of vans and what can be relativey limited payloads. Although I'll likely be carrying quite bulky equipment, it's for the most part not particularly heavy.

I have C1 on my license so am okay for upto 7.5 tonne but would rather be quite compact and don't want too long a vehicle as I will be travelling solo (apart from the 50kg GSD) and plan to do as much wild camping as possible so don't want to get in sticky situations on narrow country lanes etc.

Height of the garage may be 'overkill' in some regards for my needs but I just really like the idea of the tall opening ones as it gives me room to tinker / modify. In an ideal world I'd build my own motorhome conversion but, due to my circumstances and being self employed, once I commit to selling the house etc I'll need to be getting on the road quite quickly and just won't have the time to do a self build.

Maybe another option would be a 4 berth with overcab bed and make use of that area for storage? It's all food for thought at the moment as I'm in the very early planning stages but it's all exciting and interesting and I welcome and appreciate all advice / input very much! :)

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
You are wanting things that usually don't go together on motorhomes. Large, high garage, good payload, but then quite compact, not too long, good for wild camping and narrow country lanes.
For all these i would suggest a panel van with rear transverse bed and storage underneath, large opening rear doors and narrow body.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Biggest problem is usually weight not size. It's no use have a big garage if it does not have the payload to go with it.
And don’t be taken in by the manufaturers payload figures. These are based on the basic vehicle before manufacturers extras are added and very few vehicles come out of the factory in that condition. Taking my mh as an example auto 48kg, towbar 63kg, fibreglass roof 30kg, cab aircon 30kg and the list goes on, all this has to be deucted from the payload.

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
In an ideal world I'd build my own motorhome conversion but, due to my circumstances and being self employed, once I commit to selling the house etc I'll need to be getting on the road quite quickly and just won't have the time to do a self build.

Hi james,

My requirements (carrying motorbikes) were different to yours, but with nothing suitable available 'over the counter', I bought a van & had it converted to my own design by a local converter. I got exactly what I wanted and finished up with a 4 year old 35k MoHo converted to my spec for less than half of your top end budget. Obviously spec has a great effect on price - I kept mine simple!

No issues with payload & damp less of a problem:)

It might be the way forward for you?

Another thing to look at is 'Race Vans'

Hope this helps....

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My Hymer B644 ticks all your boxes..

large garage and payload of around 1,000 kg ..

mine is a 2001 model and can be found for around £20k

At a tad under 7mts it has an AL-KO chassis, with a double floor with waste and fresh water tanks housed in the space between them which is also heated .. so no freezing pipes or tanks.. designed for four season camping ..

The double floor also has a though locker to hold long items such as skis , surf board, etc .. and other side belly lockers for smaller items..

I also have 2 x 11kg refillable LPG Gaslow bottles.

Double transverse bed above garage, another double pull down bed at the front..

L shaped lounge and three travel seats with lap diagonal belts..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi James and welcome (y)

You will also need to consider that rear garages often have a payload cap which should not be exceeded - I have a large rear end:rolleyes: and my cap is about 150kg.

All the best,

Andrew

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You will also need to consider that rear garages often have a payload cap which should not be exceeded - I have a large rear end:rolleyes: and my cap is about 150kg.

Good point.. but I doubt his drone is that heavy ;)

In the Hymer manual there is a general statement for all relevant models that the maximum garage loading is 350 kg. Obviously, one must also respect the maximum rear axle load.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If you're not looking for a full height garage there are some models with half-height garages, eg Auto-trail Delaware \ Savannah, etc that may meet you needs. This results in them having a "full height" interior without steps up into the bed area.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I m going to go left field for a bit. I can't see the use for a garage if it is a drone and a few bits of non heavy equipment. If that is correct then have a look with a fresh set of eyes at an overhead cab as the storage. Then choose one where the front seats swivel round to form a lounge or tinkering area.
There will still be a holding area of sorts for extra gumpf. I would certainly be steering away from a big gas tank in the garage but if the big tank is necessary more than 2 x 11kgs then an underslung tank.

Food for thought as £30k is a lot of money when your priority appears to be a garage.

Good luck with whatever it is you decide

Upvote 0

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
If looking for a used model then there will be compromises to be made.
List your must haves then what is important, nice haves and then not bothered.
We started looking 4 years ago and slowly made the list, but have never seen what we needed second hand, luckily on retiring the money is available to tick all the must have boxes. These were the ability to carry a 125cc bike in a garage, island bed, large enough to be comfortable and move around, under 7.5 m ( had to compromise from a 6.5m van). Usable shower and toilet space. Sleeps 3.
Eventuaĺy chose the only one one the market that ticked all the boxes and ordered it.

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have a huge garage and fill it with stuff.
I'm sure we would fill any size garage with stuff.
Have you considered a normal garage and optional small box trailer ...works for some.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back