Motorhomes and getting around (1 Viewer)

mrb1978

Free Member
Apr 25, 2024
Funster No
MH
Dont own yet
Hi, I am looking to swap my caravan to a motorhome so we can tour around Europe a bit more easily now the children are getting a bit older.
Over the last 25 years I have moved up from tents to VW campers and now to caravans so days out have always been easy, but with a motorhome is it just a case of using public transport or your bike and planning sites that are better connected to public services?
I had thought about towing a small car but then I might as well tow the caravan.
I’m pretty much decided but can’t get my head around not being able to jump in a car and be off for the day.

Apr 28, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2006
You could take a scooter?

I think it’s just one of the many compromises you have to work out when getting a motorhome, or caravan, or camper. They all have pluses and minuses.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You need to swing your leg over a nice 900 😁
Lightweight, fun, cool, easy to park and easy to tow 🥰

Screenshot_20240417_011740_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Will you have children with you or is it just you/you and other half ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mrb1978

Free Member
Apr 25, 2024
Funster No
MH
Dont own yet
You could take a scooter?

I think it’s just one of the many compromises you have to work out when getting a motorhome, or caravan, or camper. They all have pluses and minuses.
They do, the downside of caravans is getting it to where it’s going. It’s not the actual towing bit, that’s pretty easy, it’s the stopping bits in between that have to have carefully planning along with the routes.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
We use public transport, walking or Uber. In any combination. For bigger towns and cities we have found staying further out on a bus or train route works very well. If we stay later into the evening in a city, we usually Uber back.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Perhaps worth mentioning that visiting places in a motorhome / campervan is generally easier on the continent than in the UK.

There are typically more places to park a larger vehicle - especially in France and Spain - than Blighty.

Worth considering how large you want to go with the motorhome, albeit you will have the children on board - the more compact it is then the easier to use as everyday transport.

We'd carry a small tent, so if we were staying somewhere for a few days, the kids would sleep in that.

Upvote 0
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
We have never needed to hire a car in past 12 years, used train, bus, manual cycles or walked. Downsized to 6.4 PVC to give us more ease of driving it around sightseeing and so far have not been disappointed, but easier in EU than U.K. in all regards. Probably plan well in advance re shopping on way and location of campsites.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
The only place I hire a car is in Cornwall. I have family down there, some of whom have very little parking. Also heaving it about on some of the lanes can be challenging especially knowing the banks are usually granite which is a tad harder than the bodywork on the van. Even then use buses where we can. No point in wear I g the bus pass if you don't use it. We have no buses within a mile (over fields) of home so it makes a change to use them.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Why would you recommend that?
There is a massive difference between the freedom and flexibility you get by being able to use your car,compared with the hassle of trying to access places with a Moho,which really can be a pia.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
With children I’d stick to a caravan.
Or back to a vw type campervan with a drive away awning for kids to sleep in ( depending on age) or no awning and good tent for the kids, ( again age is relevant) OR, a good quality stand alone screen house like the pro 4.
That's the way I am aiming for FROM a 6mtr motorhome after 6 years and previously caravans and trailer tents.
Campervan use will be a cross hybrid mix of camping, caravanning and motorhoming and it will also be my daily vehicle.
Solely UK use, on sites always with ehu and facilities, and the ability to get under most height barriers and get in most car parking spaces, and out and about fairly easily.
Think it will work for us, but not everyone.
Good Luck in whatever you do.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I'm happy to take the van out for the day but try not to stay too long in one place
Do have favourite places that I revisit

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
I asked re the children as I took your opening post to mean that they were still with you on trips...others, suggesting a motorbike, obviously presumed you were solo/couple....I'm afraid I'm anbother who would suggest sticking with the car and caravan while the kids are still with you. We are only 6 mths into camper ownership but know from our (similar) experience to you with camping then caravans back when our kids were small...that a campervan would be harder work with kids than a car/caravan. The simplicity of unhitching and having a seperate home and transport is not to be sniffed at...IMHO. I appreciate you can't get to as many interesting places with a car and caravan but our kids would have sat like Kevin and Perry in the back of a camper if we'd visited the places we do now rather than be sited on a decent campsite for a week, then moving to something similar elsewhere....as we did when they were kids. The travelling aspect was't much of a holiday to them

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2017
beds
Funster No
MH
burstner
Exp
We had a Piaggio zip 50 cc, 80 kilos, and two small electric bikes in our garage, used them for 15 years no problem. I absolutley loved the scooter.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back