Motorhomes all makes, models, sizes and layouts and prices HELP. (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2019
Durham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Well yesterday the wife and I decided we would have a look at a few Motorhomes so a kind friend said she would look after our StBernard and off we set in our Mini to Newark. First stop Brownhills looked at the itineo, rapido’s and auto trails Etc. Deciding not to bother with brochures I was trying to use my phone to take a photo of the vehicles information sheets on the windscreens, frustrated with my lack of ability to see what I was taking a photo of the wife took over.
2nd stop SMC another couple of potential vehicles seen and photographed, then on to Lowdams and again another 2 or 3 that would fit the bill.
we stoped off to visit the wife’s cousin on the way home and got back to Barnard Castle early evening, grabbed a takeaway and I then sat and watched the F1.
Duly rested I then decided I would list all those Motorhomes we thought would fit the bill and there specs to help us compare and make our choice.
Yes you probably guessed It about 30 wife selfies with myself and the various salesman photobombing in the background. I laughed then between us we were able to list only 1 we had seen which turns out to be a special only for Lowdams Swift Kon Tiki Sport Grand Prix or as most will know 599 with a little more bling and £s added.
Looks like we will need to do it all over again.
Does anybody know if there is a similar website to CarWow For Motorhomes so When we identify which Motorhome I can enter the spec etc and let the website do the rest.?.
i have no trade in and it will be a cash purchase so is it like buying a car should I be able to negotiate a discount if paying cash.?

Last edited:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Frustrating for you but glad you could see the funny side😂.

I've not used carwow but used to find this one helpful

Broken Link Removed

Don't forget David Fuller Motorhomes that is about a mile further along the same road from Lowdham. If you are making a day of it down here then I'd recommend Camper UK in Lincoln where mine came from. There's also Oak Tree Motorhomes but doing all those in a day might be a bit ambitious!

Good luck, hope you find what you want, you are doing the right thing by looking at lots of vans.

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Just out of curiosity we’re you able to view inside these vehicles?
Our local Motorhome is view by appointment only, can’t just go in and out of them anymore which we enjoyed doing and gave you a good feel for it 🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Go yo resources and download the buyers guide, itll help you decide what is right for you instead of getting seduced by the bling

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Did you get any specification sheets? Even those would not have included the weight of the vehicles you were looking at, nor their MPLM, thus their payload? Did you get information on the body construction?

If 'no' to those basic things you have not started the proper research to make an informed decision.

Getting this information out of dealers is hard, VERY HARD. They are not interested in what is right for you, but are interested in THEIR SALE.

You are better getting detailed specifications from manufacturers and the internet.

Of course you also want to see and feel the inside of motorhomes, but restrict that to ones that you have identified from specifications.

I ave described a very analytical approach, but one I believe would have saved many buyers from changing their MHs 2-3 times in the first 5 years, which is not uncommon.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The first question is how are you planning to use this new toy? Long distance touring throughout Europe? Or occasional weekend in the countryside and 2 weeks away in August? Or supporting a hobby? Going wild camping and stopping on remote Aires and Stellplatz in Europe with breathtaking views in the morning, or always going to fully equipped campsites with all of the facilities? With lots of kids or just the two of you. The answer to those questions will shape your priorities.

Next question is when did you pass your car test? Before 1997 you have a C1 licence and can drive vehicles with a maximum weight of 7.5t, so that covers almost all the motorhomes you will find in the UK (except some of the really big European and American models). If 1997 or later then you are limited to 3.5t, unless you take further training and a test. That means that you will not be able to drive many of the larger motorhomes you looked at. And it also means that you may well have problems with low payloads ( in crude terms the amount of stuff you can put into the vehicle including you both and the dog) which will limit how you can use and what you can carry.

After that look at as many motorhomes as you can. Spend some time in each actually using them the way you would. So sit on the bog, pretend to have a shower, sit on the seats and lie on the beds. Try to decide your favourite layout, because there are lots of them to choose from. Prices are stupidly high at the moment because of you know what. I suspect demand will level off and some of the people who bought in haste will decide that it is not for them after all and sell up at a big loss, which could be a big gain for you if you are patient.

Experience suggests that it takes 3 purchase to get the right one for you. That can be very expensive in depreciation if you are buying new, which is why you really should buy a cheaper second hand one first. We were lucky and got our keeper motorhome second time round. We only lost £2k depreciation on our first second hand one after 2.5 years and 15,000 miles. Or try hiring one or two first to see if you like the lifestyle.

Finally remember that you will never get everything you want in a motorhome. Choice requires compromises. That will only change when the BBC finally release the blueprints for the Tardis!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When changing motorhome we made lists of what we had to have, what we would like to have and what we definitely could not live with. It did help that we were buying our 4th van (in 30 years) so had a good idea of what would and would not suit us.

We weren't planning on changing when we did when we bought the present van. We were just looking round a show as we were planning to buy a couple of years later and second hand not new but got a brilliant deal on a new van bought "off plan" which could be tweaked to suit us. The only things I would add would be some type of air suspension and also self leveling jacks.

We haven't been out since March and I do miss being away for mid-week breaks but Martin has really loved being home.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As above try to think what you are going to use it for. Ours wouldn't be very good for someone staying all the time on sites sitting in a sun lounger but suits us very well touring staying off site a lot and being a bit smaller than most easier to get near town centres. If you have never tried one buying a big one new could be a very expensive mistake!!. I suppose at least you know your eyesights up to driving one living where you do!
I would also look at places nearer to home theres no dealer network for warranty work.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
You have to own one to know if it's the right one for you. Some say your 3rd van is the right one as it is for us. Vans always look different on a forecourt than in use so why not go to a big site and stroll around talking to owners who will usually tell you the good and bad issues of their pride and joy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pxh38257
Jun 22, 2019
Durham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Just out of curiosity we’re you able to view inside these vehicles?
Our local Motorhome is view by appointment only, can’t just go in and out of them anymore which we enjoyed doing and gave you a good feel for it 🤔
Yes all were open to view

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
You might find my article in the current MotorhomeFun Magazine helpful.

I wrote it because the same question gets asked time and time again and I found I was answering posts with the same info.

Upvote 0
Aug 23, 2019
Shropshire, Market Drayton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
since 2017
Yes all were open to view
Are you planning on taking the dog with you? We had a van with fixed bed first which left very little space for the dogs. Our current rear lounge suits us all perfectly with a more than super king bed plus lots of space at the front for the big dog and his bed at night. Smaller dog sleeps under the bed - by choice!

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Does anybody know if there is a similar website to CarWow For Motorhomes so When we identify which Motorhome I can enter the spec etc and let the website do the rest.?.
i have no trade in and it will be a cash purchase so is it like buying a car should I be able to negotiate a discount if paying cash.?
Not seen anything like Carwow for motorhomes but Jim it would be a good idea! For a new motorhome it's more a case of emailing your spec. to all of that manufacturers dealers & seeing what you get back &/or ringing around as availability could change daily. Be prepared for a long wait for some popular makes/models - we waited a year for ours after ordering.
Only so much can be paid in cash due to money laundering restrictions - paying a deposit by bank transfer then balance the same way on collection is more the norm. Paying the deposit by credit card may also be acceptable but any protection is only if the total price is under £30000. Some dealers prefer finance deals - presume that they may receive some revenue for that?
It's all about supply & demand with regards to pricing/discounts & would depend on the make & model too - would imagine right now there is a high demand with many planning staycations for the forseeable future.
It's always worth asking on here with regards to possible discounts for your make & model of choice as likely to be others who have bought similar recently & check out the Classified ads on here too whether for nearly new or used.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back