Motorhome water ingress repairs (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 20, 2023
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance
Exp
Since 2002
Hi - I am new here and would appreciate some advice on damp repairs. We have a 2013 Swift Sundance that following our six month MCEA approved damp check from our very well trusted engineer, has water ingress of 40% from manufacturers roof seal so we need it stripping, drying and resealing but I am struggling to find an approved workshop that wants to help. Having bought the van in June 22, with 12 months warranty and our own hab check/damp check done at purchase, we find it's not covered as it's over 7 yrs old at purchase, which was a shock and was buried in the warranty and we were told we had full warranty when we relayed our damp concerns ! We are in West Sussex and happy to travel does anyone have any advice or experience on this and where I can go. We are so worried would appreciate the community support here if possible as our motorhome is financed and used for husbands work mainly and we have owned motorhomes for around 25 years and never had this - we have a full hab check yearly and an interim six month damp check and this is where it was found last week. Many thanks Carol

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
If you were given a 12 month warranty which you were told was a "full" warranty would you not be best first off trying to get that enforced to cover the damp ? If you have a car which also has legal protection as part of the policy see if those solicitors would get involved. Other than that you might think about paying for an initial consultation with a solicitor, even if it costs you, to get their legal opinion. Large damp repairs won't come cheap.

OP
OP
C
Feb 20, 2023
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance
Exp
Since 2002
Thank you for the advice, sadly we have been down that road over the last few days and many sleepless nights but there is the small print which they will always rely on - I will know for next time but have bought 4 motorhomes and checked everything but we missed it this time, the first page gives all the basis of cover with any caveats but then several pages of small print later there's a single sentence that states no water ingress cover for motorhomes over 7 years old so it's down to us - I did use my car insurance legal cover and was very impressed a solicitor came back and discussed with me for sometime. I am really fed up with all this but we have to pay there's no option sadly. But thank you again, I just wanted a reassuring referral from someone who has used an approved workshop for this type of repair. Thanks Carol

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You could try Reliance near Chichester.

The problem with damp is that water capillaries inside the body, it is not just a case of resealing the seam and drying it out. To do the job properly of the internal walls need removing to see what damage has been done so it can be a bit expensive job.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
You could try Reliance near Chichester.

The problem with damp is that water capillaries inside the body, it is not just a case of resealing the seam and drying it out. To do the job properly of the internal walls need removing to see what damage has been done so it can be a bit expensive job.

These guys are seconded.
Havent used them for a repair like yours but for a fridge issue they resolved, havent heard anyone say anything negative about them and would easily recommend them

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Have you tried Dargate motorhome repairer not far from m2

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Hi - I am new here and would appreciate some advice on damp repairs. We have a 2013 Swift Sundance that following our six month MCEA approved damp check from our very well trusted engineer, has water ingress of 40% from manufacturers roof seal so we need it stripping, drying and resealing but I am struggling to find an approved workshop that wants to help. Having bought the van in June 22, with 12 months warranty and our own hab check/damp check done at purchase, we find it's not covered as it's over 7 yrs old at purchase, which was a shock and was buried in the warranty and we were told we had full warranty when we relayed our damp concerns ! We are in West Sussex and happy to travel does anyone have any advice or experience on this and where I can go. We are so worried would appreciate the community support here if possible as our motorhome is financed and used for husbands work mainly and we have owned motorhomes for around 25 years and never had this - we have a full hab check yearly and an interim six month damp check and this is where it was found last week. Many thanks Carol
When you say financed ?
Is it with a finance company on hire purchase ?
This could be your trump card šŸ‘

Mar 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
peugote a class
Exp
7 year
Thank you for the advice, sadly we have been down that road over the last few days and many sleepless nights but there is the small print which they will always rely on - I will know for next time but have bought 4 motorhomes and checked everything but we missed it this time, the first page gives all the basis of cover with any caveats but then several pages of small print later there's a single sentence that states no water ingress cover for motorhomes over 7 years old so it's down to us - I did use my car insurance legal cover and was very impressed a solicitor came back and discussed with me for sometime. I am really fed up with all this but we have to pay there's no option sadly. But thank you again, I just wanted a reassuring referral from someone who has used an approved workshop for this type of repair. Thanks Carol
hi carol don,t know if you managed to a repair shop yet but we had same problem .we went bristol caravans who fix
ed our van we had a big damp issue we didn,t know of .cost Ā£ 3000 to fix but they did a good job

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back