Motorhoming since 2015......
Which ‘side’ of Ferry Meadows are you on (east or west)? :unsure:

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We walked along the river past St.Neots CCC site on Wednesday and that was the same, loads of units on it but I could only see a couple of caravan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Pitched up at Ferry Meadows CAMC and for the first time it would seem the amount of motorhomes on site far outweighs the amount of caravans.

:Grin:
It’s strange how it works sometimes.
Sometimes we find it about 50/50 and sometimes more caravans . Then in the winter we often find more motorhomes than caravans lol

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
We observed that there were more Motorhomes than Caravans the last time we were at the Wharfdale site, though the CAMC are providing for Motorhomes l,can’t help feeling that Caravans fill the management agenda.
Once they start providing pitches that are of the Camperstop variety whereby many are available and for short stay only l will feel they will realise what Motorhoming is all about.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We observed that there were more Motorhomes than Caravans the last time we were at the Wharfdale site, though the CAMC are providing for Motorhomes l,can’t help feeling that Caravans fill the management agenda.
Once they start providing pitches that are of the Camperstop variety whereby many are available and for short stay only l will feel they will realise what Motorhoming is all about.
Agreed. No way is it a motorhome club or even a 'club'!

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Noooo ..... I don’t want smaller pitches- I like my space. If I wanted it to be like a car park, I wouldn’t pay campsite prices.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Noooo ..... I don’t want smaller pitches- I like my space. If I wanted it to be like a car park, I wouldn’t pay campsite prices.
A choice of both could satisfy everybody. One site that we use regularly has a redundant late night arrivals area, complete with a tap and EHU points. It could easily be made available for one night stays . Another one is accessed through a public car park which is used regularly by MHs for overnighting. Access to waste could be allowed easily.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
You may well be one that likes space and time on a Campsite but so many do want to wander and are stuck with the traditional CAMC pitches that haven’t changed. Staying still is not progress in fact not a lots changed in the last hundred years Apart from the Toilet blocks being modernised,a few black water drains and WiFi that’s only now being made fit for purpose.
l suggesting additional pitches not taking established ones away.
A so called Member cannot even use the Service points if passing a Site.
The CAMC has so far to go yet.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
It's not a dig at you Janine.
But thats exactly what the club want and insist the rest of us want. Ive no problem with you wanting to pay the sometimes extortionate prices some sites are charging for that space.

I think you'll find a large number of motorhomes want the freedom to park up safely and move on (freedom to roam).

I personally get really annoyed with the "you spend 80k on a vans and moan about £35 per night" that is used to justify prices charged.

I'm not a caravan and awning I don't want 6 meters between vans and be charged hotel prices for the pleasure of bringing my own room and still not allowed to use the onsite facilities.

If they really considered motorhomes they would have an area for 5 to 10 vans on most sites. Carpark style no booking no awning etc £10 per night. As littlewheels said some form of camper stop.
That would then at least give us the choice and I think you would find that area would be full well before the club pitches.

Rant over.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
We’ve been noticing this for a while! We play a game of how many MHs/caravans can you see.
We play motorhome v caravan cricket when we have the grandchildren with us.
This is on the journey, it can get quite heated at times;
"there was a motorhome down that side street" "I didn't see it"
"That's a motorhome" "No it isn't, its a plummer's van"

Geoff

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
But thats exactly what the club want and insist the rest of us want. Ive no problem with you wanting to pay the sometimes extortionate prices some sites are charging for that space.

I think you'll find a large number of motorhomes want the freedom to park up safely and move on (freedom to roam).

I personally get really annoyed with the "you spend 80k on a vans and moan about £35 per night" that is used to justify prices charged.

I'm not a caravan and awning I don't want 6 meters between vans and be charged hotel prices for the pleasure of bringing my own room and still not allowed to use the onsite facilities.

If they really considered motorhomes they would have an area for 5 to 10 vans on most sites. Carpark style no booking no awning etc £10 per night. As littlewheels said some form of camper stop.
That would then at least give us the choice and I think you would find that area would be full well before the club pitches.

Rant over.
And then them peaple paying £10 a night would walk over and use the showers etc. It really is a simple decision if you don’t like the clubs pricing and the way they work don’t go to the sites. The U.K. has thousands of private sites to choose from, but be aware they also have rules and are in the job to make profit.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Rant over.
My beef is that they obstruct anyone trying to create aires style stopover s. Typical caravan club site is quite a way from where I actually want to be.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
The 6M rule will remain I suspect. As will every effort too keep movement on site to a minimum. For the foreseeable future CAMC efforts to maximise safety for kids on site will take precedence over other considerations.
Totally understand the 6m rule for caravans and awnings. No problem with that. But lets say the first 2/3 pitches as you go in are just gravel hard standing or grass not bothered. Marked out as large parking bays. Motorhome only no awning no caravans. There is no law regarding space required and there is no reason they can't do it.

They just don't want to.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We are at St Neots at the moment and it’s 95% motorhomes, maybe caravans don’t have toilets fitted in them 🤣

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
We have two nights booked at the Cambridge C&CC site in June, grass pitch, no EHU.. £9 a night...facilities might even be open, though we rarely use them.

As Janine says,we're guaranteed our own space.

Why when moaning about campsites do people always quote the premium prices some sites charge?

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I also like the pitches. We use the MH like a car and it works well as you have your facilities with you.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
And then them peaple paying £10 a night would walk over and use the showers etc. It really is a simple decision if you don’t like the clubs pricing and the way they work don’t go to the sites. The U.K. has thousands of private sites to choose from, but be aware they also have rules and are in the job to make profit.
Firstly private sites are not the issue. Personally don't use them.

A large number of motorhomes want the flexibility turn up if there's room stop. No booking. Thats what we are asking for from a club that says its for motorhomes.

As for using the showers facilities they can surely charge extra if you want to use or quite simply say if you're caught using and not paid, membership is cancelled.

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Totally understand the 6m rule for caravans and awnings. No problem with that. But lets say the first 2/3 pitches as you go in are just gravel hard standing or grass not bothered. Marked out as large parking bays. Motorhome only no awning no caravans. There is no law regarding space required and there is no reason they can't do it.

They just don't want to.
I think they'd have to impose a 2-day maximum stay limit, because before you know it the pitches would be full of moho's staying for a week at £10 a night.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
No, don't let CMHC change their pitch style, we like them as they are - not that we ever use them (well maybe occasionally) but you know you are getting a nice spacious level pitch with the best of facilities to hand. If this doesn't suit you I suggest you go look at the myriad of other campsite opportunities there are, as do we. To be honest a quiet secure corner of a pub carpark is quite good enough for us for an overnight stop but when we want/need facilities there are any number of 5-van CL and CS sites dotted all over the UK as well as plenty of independant sites.

So leave the two big clubs to do what they do and, yes, we noticed that the CMHC site next door to Jasmin had a majority of motorhomes, although it seemed they were actually segregated, when we were there a couple of weeks ago. That may turn out to be a developing trend, but so what? Live and let live, horses for courses etc. etc.

Feb 6, 2014
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer BC584 Classic
Exp
Since 2011
Caravanning has had its day. New vehicles are reducing towing weights. Unless a Towbar is a factory fit (which can add on a few months delivery date) the cost of retrofitting a Towbar can at times exceed a £1000 when a dedicated wiring kit is fitted and with the introduction of online coding (apposed to using a coding tool) which costs the Towbar centre £200 for each vehicle to code. Plus I don’t think there is going to be many electric vehicles capable of towing

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Just been to Clumber Park (mid week) - probably 50/50. I suspect it might be different at weekends & school holidays. More families have caravans than motorhomes?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We walked along the river past St.Neots CCC site on Wednesday and that was the same, loads of units on it but I could only see a couple of caravan.
Don’t know why but had our booking at St Neots cancelled for 14 June due to bad weather although we were booked on a grass pitch someone obviously has a crystal ball?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back