LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I'm sure there will always be a touch of snobbery in all walks of life so I guess we "motorhomers" as a group will not be immune to it.

It is noticeable on this thread that tuggers come in for a bit of stick - why? We are all "Campers" enjoying the outdoor lifestyle whilst exploring new places.

Most of us were tuggers at one time so why do we think that tuggers are snobs?? after all most MoHos cost more than the average car/caravan combination especially when you take into account that in addition to a MoHo nearly all of us also have to buy a car for every day use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Interesting word 'Snob'.. .. so I looked it up

Wiki:
The word "snobbery" came into use the first time in England during the 1820s. It allegedly originated from the habit of many Oxford and Cambridge colleges of writing sine nobilitate (Latin: "without nobility") or s. nob. next to the names of ordinary students on examination lists in order to distinguish them from their aristocratic schoolmates.
:LOL:

Interesting to see how the word has changed meanings!

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Whatever MH,caravan or tent I've had, nobody has ever spoken to me at all.
Wife says if I showered, cleared up the Special Brew cans and didn't scratch so much, it might help.
But then, she might come with me. :D

We're you ever in the Black Watch???

I remember a crab inspection circa '67 when someone scratched too much...

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Some clubs are awful for a sort of snobbery. I remember an RV club that literally lined up ralliers in what appeared to be 'price order' with all the old jalopies hidden at the back. I'm proud to say that on fun, from the very beginning it's been more about the 'person' than what they are driving. Our first rally had a couple of RVs, various A and C class Brit and Euro vans, a trailer tent and a caravan. :)

Then why am I always in the next field???

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Never notice any snobbery - sometimes there is reverse snobbery where people think because someone has a new/expensive van they will be snobs so are treated like that. Most people are only to pleased to show you around their van if asked - old or new

Anyone can come and have a look around our van...

I still think £10 a view is reasonable...

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I'm sure there will always be a touch of snobbery in all walks of life so I guess we "motorhomers" as a group will not be immune to it.

It is noticeable on this thread that tuggers come in for a bit of stick - why? We are all "Campers" enjoying the outdoor lifestyle whilst exploring new places.

Most of us were tuggers at one time so why do we think that tuggers are snobs?? after all most MoHos cost more than the average car/caravan combination especially when you take into account that in addition to a MoHo nearly all of us also have to buy a car for every day use.

Seconded.
Tea Bag

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
Even though i am still looking for my first MH i have been watching,reading and learning on here,,it occured to me however that even though some people have personal preferences about make,type of MH etc no one has ever had a go at anyone with a lesser mh than theirs! (to my knowledge) So if you are lucky enough to own and travel in a £80,000 mh or even a conversion you have done yourself on a budget, Does snobbery exsist on sites etc or does everybody get along nicely? I am asking because i will not have a massive budget!!! lol Or is there any snobbery between peeps of different countries??

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
Whatever the cost of your motorhome they can only go from A to B just the same in my view I find that people with older vans tend to be more friendly than the trophy van type but that is just my opinion

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
I don't do snobbery, I leave that sort of thing to my Manservant..........

But really, we never judge anybody, even if they turn up next to us in a German van........

Where are you just now Allan???

Just so we can pull up beside you in our big f*** off German van!!!

If this was the forties we'd have been a King Tiger...

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
On the cost of your Moho it is all relative. What costs an absolute fortune for one family is pocket money for another. Many moons ago I played golf with a group of guys, loved their company, really down to earth and good fun. Mrs Badknee and I skint ourselves on an Audi 100 we needed to tug out big old Abbey around, £600 we paid, an absolute fortune! One of the lads bought his wife a brand new Merc 240sl for her birthday but he wasn't showing off, being a 'snob' it was all relative in that our £600 was a fortune to us but the Merc was pocket money for them. I think it's the same with us, what is a stretch for one family isn't for another.

Unless I'm wrong and their complete to**ers :rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back