LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
The woman are the biggest snobs especially if they have extended their right to buy mortgage to purchase a gin palace.

I'll just pass you a broom so you can make another sweeping statement. o_O

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Thank goodness people upgrade and buy new vans it creates a surplus of used low mileage vans for folks (like us) to enjoy , We have had all sorts of vans now we have a swift and it gives us great service would that we could afford a new hymer yes we would if it suited our needs,
We parked near Luxembourg last year amid eight or ten brand new uk reg hymers and the only people that seemed to want to chat were an elderly (like us) german couple in a CI their take on it was to say "bet they have mortgaged themselves just to be pretend Germans " Its the journey that matters not the transport love who you are

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Something I try to remember is that the one thing that we have in common is campervanning / motor homing. There may be nothing else. Furthermore, there are big enough differences between us in the MH community even when talking about things we have in common.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The only snobbery I have ever encountered comes from tuggers !
So many of them seem to believe they are special people !!!!!! ( special needs as far as I am concerned !!! )

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Well... I am a motorhome snob.

It would be almost impossible for me not to be because I own (fully paid for) and live in, the most beautiful, most classy, most distinguished, most used, 1987 Mercedes Hymer 660S in the world.

I just about tolerate other motorhomers, even the ones with modern (post 1989), front wheel driven, tarmac parking, campsite staying, plastic vans, as long as they show the required amount of respect towards my classic van.

While outwardly appearing friendly and in awe of the features of their chip managed, cam belt driven, turbo charged motorhome with its built in wine rack, concertina paper blinds and mood lighting, inside I am thinking...

"My van is much, much better in so many, many ways than this."

JJ :cool:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well... I am a motorhome snob.

It would be almost impossible for me not to be because I own (fully paid for) and live in, the most beautiful, most classy, most distinguished, most used, 1987 Mercedes Hymer 660S in the world.

I just about tolerate other motorhomers, even the ones with modern (post 1989), front wheel driven, tarmac parking, campsite staying, plastic vans, as long as they show the required amount of respect towards my classic van.

While outwardly appearing friendly and in awe of the features of their chip managed, cam belt driven, turbo charged motorhome with its built in wine rack, concertina paper blinds and mood lighting, inside I am thinking...

"My van is much, much better in so many, many ways than this."

Must be getting old. I can remember when such posts mentioned The Wagon :notworthy2::notworthy2: rather than something as modern and indulgent as a 1987 Mercedes Hymer 660S :laughing:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Must be getting old. I can remember when such posts mentioned The Wagon :notworthy2::notworthy2: rather than something as modern and indulgent as a 1987 Mercedes Hymer 660S :laughing:

True my friend, true... but I am sad to report that the front section of the Wagon (complete with hand cut, mahogany, parquet flooring) is now a QMJ storage facility...

20151123_142829.jpg

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Snobbery!

Yes if course there is. Turn up at any event, take a deep breath, turn 90 degrees, repeat, when the pong gets too much, you will have either found the Burstner group or Eddie No Bitz and the rest of the RFU rabble, it's all down to old German sausages and out of date prawn butties.

If it's a pleasant smell, then you are either near @rangitira and his proper Paaasteees or God's chosen race, the Welsh and Rapid owners.

If it's a real pong, your in Portugal.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Some clubs are awful for a sort of snobbery. I remember an RV club that literally lined up ralliers in what appeared to be 'price order' with all the old jalopies hidden at the back. I'm proud to say that on fun, from the very beginning it's been more about the 'person' than what they are driving. Our first rally had a couple of RVs, various A and C class Brit and Euro vans, a trailer tent and a caravan. :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Caravan Club members used to look down on the C&CC because they allowed, God forbid.. the great unwashed tenters as members.. :eek: aaaaaaaaaagghhhhhhh

Times change.. but have attitudes .. ? I think not much .. still a tenter at heart..

Reactions: DBK
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Snobbery ..... An imaginary persona some people award you if occupy an expensive house, run a modern / expensive motorhome, 4x4 or luxury caravan. A status that can be awarded without any personal knowledge of the recipient. Often awarded on visual sighting, but definately awarded if you dont jump out of your motorhome whenever someone walks by. You must always jump out, speak first, even if the other person looks away, you must pat and admire the dog, then put them out a chair and produce a pack of beer / wine and offer an evenings food/entertainment and be only attentive to what they have to say. Please dont aspire to cook anything fancy either that will give you a black mark too.
You must always always remain alert in your vehicle to wave! If you own an expensive new motorhome please dont imagine that you will avoid being labelled a snob by doing any of the above, you will be labelled by some anyway ... Its what I call inverted snobbery / green eyed monster/ miserable git / tosser.
I am the same person who owned a clapped out mini, rented flat, tent, caravan, I camp because I like it, I dont like crowds and am a bit shy.
Just off to make some canapés and chill the champagne.:moon2: :rollingeyes:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
So how do I fit in? Have a 3 yr old MH worth c£48k but live in a £19.99 tent!
Your acidic response here @Dawn B _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Never notice any snobbery - sometimes there is reverse snobbery where people think because someone has a new/expensive van they will be snobs so are treated like that. Most people are only to pleased to show you around their van if asked - old or new

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Snobbery ..... An imaginary persona some people award you if occupy an expensive house, run a modern / expensive motorhome, 4x4 or luxury caravan. A status that can be awarded without any personal knowledge of the recipient. Often awarded on visual sighting, but definately awarded if you dont jump out of your motorhome whenever someone walks by. You must always jump out, speak first, even if the other person looks away, you must pat and admire the dog, then put them out a chair and produce a pack of beer / wine and offer an evenings food/entertainment and be only attentive to what they have to say. Please dont aspire to cook anything fancy either that will give you a black mark too.
You must always always remain alert in your vehicle to wave! If you own an expensive new motorhome please dont imagine that you will avoid being labelled a snob by doing any of the above, you will be labelled by some anyway ... Its what I call inverted snobbery / green eyed monster/ miserable git / tosser.
I am the same person who owned a clapped out mini, rented flat, tent, caravan, I camp because I like it, I dont like crowds and am a bit shy.
Just off to make some canapés and chill the champagne.:moon2: :rollingeyes:

Brilliant post - your observations are so true!

I was about to post about inverted snobbery but you've done it to perfection :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Tuggers keep getting mentioned and we find the same even though we were tuggers ourselves for many years. Never sure with tuggers if it is snobbery (those with the £80k tow car) or jealousy, but they are always the hardest to strike up a conversation with.
As for other Motorhomes never had a problem, nearly all our camping is done over the ditch these days and we always find language barrier permitting, French, Dutch, Germans, Italians etc., very friendly, can find us talking to a young couple in a beat up self conversion or Germans in a €200k Concorde.
Just because we have a new Hymer doesn't make us snobs (well down the pecking order in Germany), we have never earned that much, but always been careful, now we can afford to buy new so it is nice to do so.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I hate snobbery. I buy a motorhome because that is what I want not to be better than anyone else. I love talking to other owners about what they like what they don't like about there Moho etc. When we had our RV the amount of people that would walk past and just look as if to say..stuck up snob. Which is so far from the truth but they never give the time to find out.
Another accasion we were on a campsite in our T4 and there was a guy in a big RV and opposite him a guy in a converted old merc with wood burner etc a real ol hippy guy. Guess which one had all the time in the world to talk to me. The hippy guy.
I earn my money so it is up to me how I spend it. And I would let any of you buy me a beer if and when we meet. (y) :D

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You always get the odd miserable wet blanket but generally people are friendly and interested in each others vans. I love looking at self-conversions as there are so many brilliant ideas and it is also interesting to see other makes of van and hearing experiences. Self converted doesn't always mean cheap ;)

When we had an older van people would always come across to look at her and chat, not so much with the new van :( but I do go out of my way to talk to other people and if they are struggling with something ask if I can help.

We started off under canvas so no snobbery here!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back