LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Anyone else noticed in last couple of months a good number of posts on various motorhome forums etc of people selling their vans having had them for only a couple of years or so.

Is this the start of the motorhome sell off, a kin to the disposal of the covid pets ?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Anyone else noticed in last couple of months a good number of posts on various motorhome forums etc of people selling their vans having had them for only a couple of years or so.
I haven't really noticed that but I guess there'll always be some churn.
If that is the case one could hypothesise that folk might get fed up with waiting or be put off by the delays quoted for a new one and buy s/hand, causing a glut of new ones..............:unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
I think a lot of people realise that it is not always a cheap holiday once you have one, as experienced MH owners (and Funsters) we know that there are costs involved in travel and maintenance, for us it`s a lifestyle and flexibility thing not necessarily a budget thing.....
When we travel we have an all in average of €130-€150 per day, that's all in including fuel, food, tolls, site fees, shopping etc

OP
OP
BikerGraham

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
I haven't really noticed that but I guess there'll always be some churn.
If that is the case one could hypothesise that folk might get fed up with waiting or be put off by the delays quoted for a new one and buy s/hand, causing a glut of new ones..............:unsure:
Maybe. But also noticed many of the reasons are due to change of circumstances, due to work commitments etc

Just think it’s like the covid puppies. Now people are having to go back to work….

OP
OP
BikerGraham

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
I think a lot of people realise that it is not always a cheap holiday once you have one, as experienced MH owners (and Funsters) we know that there are costs involved in travel and maintenance, for us it`s a lifestyle and flexibility thing not necessarily a budget thing.....
When we travel we have an all in average of €130-€150 per day, that's all in including fuel, food, tolls, site fees, shopping etc
Think you’re right there. People underestimate just how expensive it can be.

Sep 14, 2018
Middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
one just sold near me he ordered it in 2021 and got it beginning of march this year sold about a week after getting it about 250 miles on clock

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Maybe. But also noticed many of the reasons are due to change of circumstances, due to work commitments etc

Just think it’s like the covid puppies. Now people are having to go back to work….
Not so sure about the dog bit, to me just about everyone has a dog where I live plus many more dog walking businesses. Might be because I see more when out on my mountain bike.

OP
OP
BikerGraham

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
Not so sure about the dog bit, to me just about everyone has a dog where I live plus many more dog walking businesses. Might be because I see more when out on my mountain bike.
Talk to the dog rescue places etc they can’t keep up with the amount of unwanted dogs now that people are having go back into work.
So many unwanted dogs and many that have mental health issues as they have been too cosseted.

Sadly all this was well predicted

Stanthevan

Free Member
Jul 26, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore
Surprising that new ones still have huge waiting times, motorhomes not dogs lol.
Good prices still being made, but same can be said for cars since lockdown. Will market collapse, well prices can’t keep going up, but I do think prices for motorhomes and cars have been artificially low for years, and I feel we’re not likely to see either come down in price yet.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I always thought rightly or wrongly that the flyaway holidaymakers would go back to it eventually. Once on their way they could be sat on a beach in the sun being served cocktails in four or five hours, three meals a day fed to them with a lovely room and full size bathroom.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Talk to the dog rescue places etc they can’t keep up with the amount of unwanted dogs now that people are having go back into work.
So many unwanted dogs and many that have mental health issues as they have been too cosseted.

Sadly all this was well predicted
And yet we have stray dogs being brought in from Spain ,Greece, morroco, and anywhere else that motorhomes are visiting, crazy.
The next ones ending up in rehoming centres.

OP
OP
BikerGraham

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
I always thought rightly or wrongly that the flyaway holidaymakers would go back to it eventually. Once on their way they could be sat on a beach in the sun being served cocktails in four or five hours, three meals a day fed to them with a lovely room and full size bathroom.
Such a hard life eh 😂😂

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Not sure why people think that more vans were available during covid as the reality was that they have vein short supply during and after .
There’s always been plenty of nearly new vans put straight up for sale as owners either quickly realise they bought the wrong layout or they prefer their caravan etc etc .
I bought one last spring with just 200 miles on the clock as the owner bought another bigger one as his wife pointed out the errors of his tight fistedness 😂
It’s actually the cheapest pvc available at the moment I believe, we’ve ordered another one with an automatic transmission now 😂

May 21, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper
Exp
Since 1986
Bought a new motor home in October 2019 had a good deal, couple of months later we were in lockdown, not such a good deal, I could have kept chickens in it for the next 18 months due to Covid ☹️

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I was thinking the opposite, we do three to just under 4 week trips and last year about 11 or 12 weeks total including short UK trips.
Normally eat out about every 2nd or 3rd day and including running cost I think we are around £100-130 a day and a lot of that is we stay on sites and some free/cheap stops.

Before the van our 2 week holidays would be around £4-5k and that would be 2-3 times a year plus weekends away so 12 weeks at that would be a fair bit more…

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back