Motorhome not fit for purpose...refund? (1 Viewer)

davehuge

Free Member
Mar 15, 2008
Here, there n everywhere!
Funster No
Hi all, we purchased our motorhome new in March 2006, costing around £50k.

We've travelled through Europe with it but had big problems - oil leak on gearbox in France, new steering rack in Spain, new driveshaft in Austria and now a new gearbox in Sardinia. All the repairs were fixed under warranty and hence will be on the base vehicle manufacturer's computer system.

At the moment we are stuck in Sardinia waiting for a new gearbox. The motorhome is just coming up to 2 years old, today I've written to the dealer and officially said I am rejecting the motorhome as it is 'not fit for purpose' and request a refund of the purchase price.:Angry:

What do you think our chances are of a refund, I can see this going to court. Can anyone recommend a suitable solicitor or give any advice.

Regards, Dave.

Steve&Catherine

Free Member
Sep 19, 2007
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
2 years
Hi Dave

Sorry to hear of your problems, it's a difficult one to answer we are going through the courts at the moment due to an ongoing engine fault, this has been going on for the last 20 months the dealers our useless and even the bank don't want to know. We have,nt used our van for 6 months it,s so frustrating if you want any more advice dave send me a pm with a contact number and i will speak to you.

Regards Steve.

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I would contact Consumer Direct!

Link Removed

They will be able to give advice on the matter!
Good luck!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

traveller

Free Member
Oct 27, 2007
Funster No
I feel so sorry for you both. Hope you get the problems sorted soon.

As a matter of interest what are these two vans please.

Motorhomer

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

Sorry to hear your problems but after nearly two years and no doubt a fair few miles, I honestly think you are flogging a dead horse.

The faults are with the cab, not the motorhome and the manufacturer has fixed them under his warranty and not failed in his duty to you.

Bit late in the day unfortunately, best advice is to sell it if you are not happy with it.

What base chassis was it built on?

Regards

Peter

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hi,

Sorry to hear your problems but after nearly two years and no doubt a fair few miles, I honestly think you are flogging a dead horse.

The faults are with the cab, not the motorhome and the manufacturer has fixed them under his warranty and not failed in his duty to you.

.......best advice is to sell it if you are not happy with it.
Correct.

All the problems are mechanical and nothing to do with the motorhome body builder/company.

Get everything fixed and get rid.....quick! No doubt lose 'silly money' over the sale but one things for sure.....you won't be buying the same make again!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
To clarify my comment about the base chassis......

If these faults had occured in the first six months or so and were the same repetetive faults and the base chassis manufacturer failed to rectify them satisfactorily then you would have a good case for 'not fit for purpose' and your case would be against the MH supplying dealer, who in turn would have a case against his supplier, the converter, who in turn would have a case against the chassis/cab manufacturer.

However you have had a number of different faults, leaking gearbox, steering and a drive shaft and now a gearbox failure over an extended period of time and mileage.

Regards

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back