Motorhome insurance (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Motorhome insurance is just as illogical as all other types of insurance in that people have very different experiences with the same companies and it seems to depend upon which way the wind is blowing at the time. You'll have to shop around just as most of us have to do at every renewal. In my experience it is better to call a company for a quote than to use their online quoting facility.

OP
OP
Robhug

Robhug

Free Member
Jan 8, 2024
Crawley, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann bischoff Ar
Exp
Since2011
Many thanks to all of you, sorted now. This morning was quoted 4.5k , managed to get down to £557 fully comp,breakdown, European travel,windscreen etc. So Adrian flux can do one will not recommend them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Many thanks to all of you, sorted now. This morning was quoted 4.5k , managed to get down to £557 fully comp,breakdown, European travel,windscreen etc. So Adrian flux can do one will not recommend them.
w2f

Are you going to share with us who ?

Nov 9, 2022
Whitestone, Hereford, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus 650 MEG
Exp
Just had a £667 renewal from Adrian Flux so tried a price comparison website, lowest quote £563 from - you’ve guessed it - Adrian Flux, I thought that stuff had stopped!

Will not be using AF again, we thought that we might need to make a claim after a young lad ran into us last year, after a very long wait for somebody to answer our call to their claim line number we discovered that we were talking to an outsourced agency and a lady who could barely speak English she was in a different time zone and wondering why we were talking about an accident that was going to take place some time in the future, even after we explained it to her I am not sure she understood - I am so glad it wasn’t a serious accident.

Ended up not claiming and paying myself as it happens.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I posted recently a factor that I didn't know until now made all that much difference.....
Helped a friend replace a written off old runabout car.
Insurance company said this when she went on their app to check new car details effect on her insurance.....

Value car at £1000 - extra charge of £36
Value car at £2000 - extra £75
Value car at £1800 - REFUND of £136!!!

I may not have remembered the exact ££ but you see the madness of the system!

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
I was getting quotes yesterday for a possible new van, and comfort seem to be anti "A" class now, there was a difference of nearly £1,000 between an "A" class hymer and the equivalent coachbuilt!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Which insurance company is the most cost effective
Individual circumstances seem to make a big difference. Some companies base prices mostly on post code, some have different value limits and some don’t provide enough windscreen cover for A Class motorhomes. Some have very limited contents cover but this may already be covered by your home insurance. Sometimes companies give big discounts to catch new customers but try to pull it back in later years. It may also depend on the broker. I use NFU but some of their branches aren’t interested in motorhomes (Brockenhurst and Chichester branches are good for motorhomes). You probably need to shop around to find the best prices and terms that suit your requirements.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I was getting quotes yesterday for a possible new van, and comfort seem to be anti "A" class now, there was a difference of nearly £1,000 between an "A" class hymer and the equivalent coachbuilt!
Currently paying £434 for my A Class with Comfort just got a quote for the new van due in a few months. £1000 they said it was due to the value, they don't seem to like vans over £100k but now days not many vans under that.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I posted recently a factor that I didn't know until now made all that much difference.....
Helped a friend replace a written off old runabout car.
Insurance company said this when she went on their app to check new car details effect on her insurance.....

Value car at £1000 - extra charge of £36
Value car at £2000 - extra £75
Value car at £1800 - REFUND of £136!!!

I may not have remembered the exact ££ but you see the madness of the system!
Happens with mileage as well, on my car I've been quoted more for 2000 miles a year than 4000.
Never though to play about with the value.

Mar 12, 2023
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift
Currently paying £434 for my A Class with Comfort just got a quote for the new van due in a few months. £1000 they said it was due to the value, they don't seem to like vans over £100k but now days not many vans under that.
I've not tried this yet but a friend of mine told me to look at "excess gap" insurance so you get a higher excess, reduce the cost of the insurance and then get the gap insurance to cover your excess. Wondered if anybody has used this?

New van is being quoted for me at over £750 per year which I thought was excessive. Last older van was £350 or so. Thats with Comfort as well.

Have they insisted on the CAT1 alarm and trackers as well?

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
a lady who could barely speak English she was in a different time zone
I feel your pain , i was passed on from the Philippines to South Africa then I demanded to speak to someone in uk which believe it or not happened !!!! It was to do with gas /electric ,

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
Wow! Some of the prices mentioned are great and some are horrendous!

My policy has just renewed, Comfort brokers.. Moho value classed as £105,990 first 3 years replace for new if wrote off. Maximum 90 days in Europe any one time. (Well that’s all Schengen allows.) Can’t leave it unattended more than 48 hours? Except at a repair shop or if on a ferry! Or at your home or storage unit!
It’s got 3 years tracking with sergeant.. they are good. Wheel clamp.
10k miles limit per year! Fully comp, £150 excess windscreen, £300 excess Moho damage!
Cost £632.23 (cant for the life in me understand the £0.23 bit,) but it’s only a 5%ish increase on last year. Fully comp. One driver me, clean licence 38 recorded years no claims on car (6 years no claims Moho) 3year, 3 year break, 2 year 5 month break, one year renewing..

Next year I’ll shop around…but it seems a fair price.
my Ford Edge Vignale is £460 my BMW 420d £380 ! My SEAT Ateca will be Euro 342. Renewal next month.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I've just rng comfort about my £890 premium.

They said they could reduce it by £50 if I reduce the mileage from 8000 to 6000.
Not much but a bit of a saving

Then said if you take your wife of the policy it would reduce it by about £300???
Eh?
Well she is 75 this year so that put the premium up.

Why don't they tell you these thing instead of just hitting you with price?? -- Do many people simply pay it without question??

It will also increase my premium next year when i get to 75

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I got my renewal for mid-April: up from £239 last year to £342 now (no changes to any criteria). Ageas is the underwriter in both cases (obviously, as a renewal). :(

So I've been doing the rounds: first CAMC - £257 with Ageas (better than the £25 they "guarantee." to beat a quote by).

SAGA: £265 via A Flux, who I wouldn't touch with a bargepole (even if they've raised their windscreen cover above £1500 where it has been every time I looked previously), then £274, £295 and upwards.
30 minutes later I get an email from Confused.com quoting exactly the same figures: hmm!

CCC: £406 was their best although they had an identical Ageas policy for £522 (more than double CAMC!). I'd just closed the browser when I got a phone call from them, to eventually be told "sorry we're not competitive this year. Try us again in 12 months".

Obviously, all quotes are on a like-for-like basis including key cover & legal cover, but compulsory excess varies between £100 and £450 (Ageas being the cheapest)

I shall keep looking!

Gordon

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
I got my renewal for mid-April: up from £239 last year to £342 now (no changes to any criteria). Ageas is the underwriter in both cases (obviously, as a renewal). :(

So I've been doing the rounds: first CAMC - £257 with Ageas (better than the £25 they "guarantee." to beat a quote by).

SAGA: £265 via A Flux, who I wouldn't touch with a bargepole (even if they've raised their windscreen cover above £1500 where it has been every time I looked previously), then £274, £295 and upwards.
30 minutes later I get an email from Confused.com quoting exactly the same figures: hmm!

CCC: £406 was their best although they had an identical Ageas policy for £522 (more than double CAMC!). I'd just closed the browser when I got a phone call from them, to eventually be told "sorry we're not competitive this year. Try us again in 12 months".

Obviously, all quotes are on a like-for-like basis including key cover & legal cover, but compulsory excess varies between £100 and £450 (Ageas being the cheapest)

I shall keep looking!

Gordon
Why bother?

If I could get 257 versus 239 last year I would rip their arm off!

Anyway, more power to your elbow!

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
The first 30 minutes of searching saved me £85, which I regard as a decent rate of success 😉

The next 30 minutes just saw prices getting silly: Caravan Guard wanted £572. 🙄

I think I’ll go with CAMC (rip their arm off 😂)

Gordon

Oct 18, 2021
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
I got the best price from LV. Also got a crazy cheap price for my car when I added that as an existing customer.

Nov 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Campervan
I did Adrian Flux. It's going up 16% this year to £483 which is quite a mild increase. Mine is 2002 and LHD. Hope that's useful
My Adian Flux policy, on My Adria Twin, increased by over 25% ! to £620 . Part of the reason for the increase was their 'Policy fee' going up from £80 (which was high in the first place) to £106. Their other addon , as usual , was the issue fee of £30. Without all these costs the policy cost from the actual insurer would work out at less than £400. Adrian Flux ? would not recommend.

Mar 14, 2023
Wadebridge, Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Pegaso
Exp
Since 2021
Which insurance company is the most cost effective
Our insurance renewal for our motorhome with CAMC went from £675 to £1075 this year! Rang our local NFU Mutual and arranged a better level of cover for £536. Very friendly staff to deal with and able to spread payment over 12 months at 0%

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back