Motorhome insurance (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMLi880
Exp
Owned a MH since 2012
Which insurance company is the most cost effective
Been with Comfort for a few years but this year had an issue with the mileage restriction of 4000 miles and them wanting another £100 to up this so shopped around. End result was a higher level of cover, up to 6,000 miles per annum, smaller excess and a saving of over £300 per year - Lifesure

Feb 16, 2021
Salcombe Regis
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 600SL
Exp
Delivered April 2021 😃. Still new, still learning. Only a couple of mishaps so far....
Many thanks to all of you, sorted now. This morning was quoted 4.5k , managed to get down to £557 fully comp,breakdown, European travel,windscreen etc. So Adrian flux can do one will not recommend them.
Asked Adrian Flux to quote on a new Range Rover. They asked if I had already had another quote so I said yes £1,000. The guy said no point in doing a formal quote as it will not be under £3,000!

Clearly they don’t seems to want the business. Ended up with Admiral multi car. Sadly they will not insure 4.4t motorhome so stayed with LV at £550.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
VW
Renewed with Comfort again this year, beat every other quote by some distance. I rang CAMC as I am a member and they said they beat any renewal quote by £25. They then proceeded to quote me nearly double what Comfort were quoting. When I asked about the 'we beat any quote' thing, they said this was only on a 'like for like' basis.

'Ah yes, that'll be it' I said, 'Comfort are offering a better level of cover than you at nearly half the price' and hung up.

It was the same conversation as last year.

What a joke. 🙄

May 22, 2021
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Elldis acordo 105
Exp
Caravan for 50 years motorhome since 2019
Try RIPE Insurance had a great price from the so I’m with them now less than half the price from LV last year

Sep 2, 2023
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
We have just renewed for £483 (up from £425 like for like last year), fully comprehensive (£300 compulsory excess, except for £75 on windscreen) on our Murvi Morocco XL (Ducato PVC, 2020 reg), including "temporary" visits to Europe (no particular limit on length of stay, as long as it's "normally" kept in the UK and is not left abroad) and legal protection insurance (which was £30 of the £483 as an optional extra). 10,000 estimated annual mileage - not expressed as a limit (they quoted about double to increase the estimated miles to 15,000!). CAMC with Ageas. 9 years' NCD (maximum), protected NCD (up to 2 claims in 5 years). Factory fitted alarm and immobiliser and no tracker (we do actually have a TruTrak, but as it's not linked to a permanent control centre, it's not Thatcham approved, so doesn't count). No claims, medical issues or convictions, we are both under 65. I looked online and this was very competitive, so took it. We will take breakdown and medical cover separately.

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
Just renewed again with Comfort. Last year (without breakdown) it was £332. Renewal quote this time £590.32 because I would be 75 on renewal. Managed to get that down to £440.25 by cancelling the existing policy and starting a new one now whilst still 74 (just!!) so kicked the problem into the long grass at least for a year. I didn't bother ringing round because whilst 32% is big increase from £332, given what has happened in the last 12 months it's probably not unrealistic. Comfort were certainly competitive last year so I suspect I would not get anything much better for a £75k motorhome.

Just some context to my premium - only 4k miles and wife no longer insured (because she would not have wanted to drive the van from abroad if I had been taken ill or had an accident and been unable to repatriate).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm going to be doing the insurance dance shortly and am not looking forward to the flipping hassle as we're with Comfort so likely to have a silly renewal price! 😕

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I've not tried this yet but a friend of mine told me to look at "excess gap" insurance so you get a higher excess, reduce the cost of the insurance and then get the gap insurance to cover your excess. Wondered if anybody has used this?

New van is being quoted for me at over £750 per year which I thought was excessive. Last older van was £350 or so. Thats with Comfort as well.

Have they insisted on the CAT1 alarm and trackers as well?

Not heard of this. I have heard of gap insurance which is bought for a brand-new vehicle so that if it is written off they pay the difference between the insurance payout and a brand new replacement - for up to 3 years.

You can get excess insurance for when you hire cars to cover the hire car excess (which is usually quite high - in the 1000's) and is remarkably cheap at around £40 for a years cover.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Renewed with Comfort again this year, beat every other quote by some distance. I rang CAMC as I am a member and they said they beat any renewal quote by £25. They then proceeded to quote me nearly double what Comfort were quoting. When I asked about the 'we beat any quote' thing, they said this was only on a 'like for like' basis.

'Ah yes, that'll be it' I said, 'Comfort are offering a better level of cover than you at nearly half the price' and hung up.

It was the same conversation as last year.

What a joke. 🙄
It worked for me. They were only about 30 quid cheaper than Comfort but excesses were lower (only £50 but hey it's £50) and they allow 180 days in Europe where Comfort was only 90 I think. Otherwise cover was the same.

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
Just renewed again with Comfort. Last year (without breakdown) it was £332. Renewal quote this time £590.32 because I would be 75 on renewal. Managed to get that down to £440.25 by cancelling the existing policy and starting a new one now whilst still 74 (just!!) so kicked the problem into the long grass at least for a year. I didn't bother ringing round because whilst 32% is big increase from £332, given what has happened in the last 12 months it's probably not unrealistic. Comfort were certainly competitive last year so I suspect I would not get anything much better for a £75k motorhome.

Just some context to my premium - only 4k miles and wife no longer insured (because she would not have wanted to drive the van from abroad if I had been taken ill or had an accident and been unable to repatriate).
Roger20. Thank you for your comment, you have saved me £100! Last year, Comfort was £385, this year as going to be 75 on 7th April with renewal on 19th £602. 🍻 if we meet.

I rang a few minutes ago and made the points you did, I’ve “cancelled and renewed” with 6000 miles instead of 4000, £505 including £18 refund for the days left on the old policy.

I love Motorhome Fun!

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Been with Comfort for a few years but this year had an issue with the mileage restriction of 4000 miles and them wanting another £100 to up this so shopped around. End result was a higher level of cover, up to 6,000 miles per annum, smaller excess and a saving of over £300 per year - Lifesure
This is who I will be renewing with once I hear back from AIB with the inevitable inflated increase. I already have an initial quote with Lifesure but haven't told AIB. Just waiting to see if they spring a surprise.

Mar 22, 2023
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
Adrian Flux renewal was circa £620

We have gone with Ripe for £564 but with quite a lot of extra cover.

8000 miles per annum
£5000 windscreen cover (that ARTO screen looks expensive)
Full breakdown cover in the UK and EU
£5000 ancillary equipment cover
1 years NCB for motorhome, no convictions and 10 years NCB on car.
Lots of other trivial benefits.
£250 excess

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
AIB rang and asked me all the same questions that I had filled in online BUT added that I would get a 15% discount for being a member of Fun 👍. Eventually we got round to “what is your renewal quote?” and I was then told that they couldn’t get anywhere near it. £450 was their best compared to £342 renewal.
Another 10 minutes of my life wasted!

Gordon

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Looks as though my renewal in May will be going up with LV, they sent me a general letter explaining why all their premiums have gone up, parts and staff costs etc. Not looking forward to the inevitable time wasted getting new quotes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back