Motorhome Insurance/Storage woes. (1 Viewer)

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Managed to get storage close to home instead of 30 miles away so I phoned Comfort to see if it was suitable only to be told it would be in the region of £900 odd,currently paying £410. I went onto some comparison websites and up popped Comfort on one with 2 quotes much less than current price,2 minutes later the phone goes and it's a girl from Comfort to explain about the prices. The cheapest was from ERS and the other from Aviva,I then tell her that I'am currently with them and could she confirm what my next years premiun would be.After going through the details she said her colleague had made a mistake and my new premium would be around what I was currently paying,I asked several times if she was sure and she said definitely and come renewal ask for her,Bailey. Well I phoned yesterday and guess what,she was wrong and it was going to be £970.You can imagine I was not impressed and asked to speak to her to be told she wasn't available,surprise surprise.I have managed to get a decent quote with NFU but there is a small hitch with that one. The excuse that the guy at Comfort gave is that quote was in August and prices have risen since then, surely not by more than 100% says I and all he would say is they had went up. Seriously not impressed by Comfort now,although I have read on here mutterings about them,have tried I think just about every company I can think of,can anyone give any recomendations ?
Thanks.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We had problems getting a new quote from Comfort for a change in vehicle. They seemed to have an issue with the value of the motorhome and also made an issue out of the mileage per annum. NFU for us.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Camping and Caravan club. Works for us

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
We had problems getting a new quote from Comfort for a change in vehicle. They seemed to have an issue with the value of the motorhome and also made an issue out of the mileage per annum. NFU for us.
The only thing with NFU is they don't do breakdown cover,so need to find that.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Comfort do have ups and downs although I have been insured with them for years. When I changed vans earlier in the year I phoned to cancel policy on the last van and confirmed the price would be the same on the new van. When I got the new van registered and phoned them it was £100 more I asked why they said the same price was only vaild for 30 days anyway still with then as they were still £200 cheaper than anyone else.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We're with Comfort and am a bit miffed :xangry: at what they are now charging for a Green card. Used to be £20 for 3 months, now it's £221 for 3 months and increase of >1,000%!! Are they starting to lose the plot?

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I know not everyone agrees but I struggle to beat Caravan and Motorhome Club insurance. Not necessarily the easiest to deal with they always come up with the goods for me. Includes keping at any secure address, unlimited mileage, and up to 247days in Europe. Doesn't include breakdown but they do offer it. Also appear happy with factory alarm and immobiliser they say that the Cat 1 and Tracker not necessary.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
ERS via AiB for us..... we did have a (storm damage) claim and it was dealt with very well - and no premium increase.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
You could try Safeguard. When I changed to a higher value motorhome my existing insurer got silly about value and storage away from home. Safeguard were happy with storage and value, the only additional requirement was either a Cat 1 Alarm or Cat? Tracker, I opted for the alarm.

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for the replies, have tried AIB and Safeguard,both were expensive. Have just got a couple of competitive quotes and surprisingly Comfort have come up with a better offer via ERS,another 2 companies are getting back to me tomorrow. It turns out my previous storage postcode was zone 1,the new one is zone 3,the higher the number the dearer it is.:mad: There are 4 zone categories. Seems I live in a high risk area, well I'am only 6 miles from the centre of Weegieville.:xeek:

Last edited:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
@bigtree your post rang a huge bell with me. Exactly same circumstances, moving the van from the yard I worked at to a Gold Cassoa site much closer to home. They wanted an additional premium of 70% - for moving to a secure site??? Rang around a couple of brokers and eventually one explained that I was moving from probably the safest postcode to one of the most expensive.

I wasn't prepared to accept this and took it up with Cassoa, as well as the new storage owner, who got seriously concerned because he'd never had that happen before (I believe him). Cassoa didn't want to know, which gave me a great deal of confidence in their claims (not) so I went back to Comfort and asked to speak to one of the supervisors, explaining that if they used the full postcode, rather than just the first half (the normal guideline I think), surely the risk factor would be different. She agreed to take it up with the underwriters and a couple of hours later she rang back to say that the underwriters and directors had agreed that an increase in premium was not necessary. I did have the forethought to ask her to annotate my file so that when renewal came round............... Which of course it did, but a phone call asking them to check my file and it was sorted.

Comfort have always been the best for me, both cost and service, yet I sometimes get really puzzled as to why there should be such huge differences in quotes, even with the same insurance company. But like you, I'm a bit unhappy about this increase in the cost of the Green Card (which I actually don't need this year) so we'll see whats what at next renewal.

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
@bigtree your post rang a huge bell with me. Exactly same circumstances, moving the van from the yard I worked at to a Gold Cassoa site much closer to home. They wanted an additional premium of 70% - for moving to a secure site??? Rang around a couple of brokers and eventually one explained that I was moving from probably the safest postcode to one of the most expensive.

I wasn't prepared to accept this and took it up with Cassoa, as well as the new storage owner, who got seriously concerned because he'd never had that happen before (I believe him). Cassoa didn't want to know, which gave me a great deal of confidence in their claims (not) so I went back to Comfort and asked to speak to one of the supervisors, explaining that if they used the full postcode, rather than just the first half (the normal guideline I think), surely the risk factor would be different. She agreed to take it up with the underwriters and a couple of hours later she rang back to say that the underwriters and directors had agreed that an increase in premium was not necessary. I did have the forethought to ask her to annotate my file so that when renewal came round............... Which of course it did, but a phone call asking them to check my file and it was sorted.

Comfort have always been the best for me, both cost and service, yet I sometimes get really puzzled as to why there should be such huge differences in quotes, even with the same insurance company. But like you, I'm a bit unhappy about this increase in the cost of the Green Card (which I actually don't need this year) so we'll see whats what at next renewal.
Yep you are correct,here is the website to assess risk.

https://www.visitcars.co.uk/car-insurance/insurance-post-code-risk.html

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
How odd.
I rang Comfort a month ago to tell them it was going into non Casssoa storage. £20 admin fee,and no other additions. Also said they will put a not on the file to say that I’m taking it out once a month to give it a run. Otherwise it’s £20 every time you take it home.
Maybe cos it’s an old bus,don’t know.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Also said they will put a not on the file to say that I’m taking it out once a month to give it a run. Otherwise it’s £20 every time you take it home.
Maybe cos it’s an old bus,don’t know.

That's a new one on me! Policy does state, however, that they will only insure me for a max of 48 hours if it's parked at home. No prob with that.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Says for mine (LA9):
"Sorry there is no data for this area" :)
This is what I get
upload_2017-12-12_20-1-2.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back