Motorhome Fun Is No More Fun For Me :-( (1 Viewer)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Sorry to hear of the problems with your van irnbru . You sound mega peed off,and I would be the same I think. Problem is,when this sort of thing happens, the best results are obtained if you approach the problem with a steely calm. I know it’s easy for me to say but take a few very very deep breaths and start again. I hope,and think,the offer you’ve had from Simon will help.
.........Remember........steely calm!!!!!!!! (y) (y) (y) (y) :xsmile::xsmile:

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
For what it’s worth so much crap going on at the mo people are blowing their fuses at the drop off a hat and unhelpful uncompassionate reply’s just add fuel to the fire ,I can be guilty of that so I hope the op gets her van sorted ASAP :whew::smiley:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I'm more annoyed it was supposed to be all sorted with new roof cappings put on that took a while to order. Knowing how mum stressed over the repairs the last time I'm trying to keep it from her until after Xmas at least. The dealer has been fine with actually carrying out the warranty work, but its the standard of the repair thats clearly not good when its still leaking, there must be a cut off when it goes out of warranty and I fear it will be ...Oh sorry your vans out of warranty now.

I think maybe I should write to all manufacturers offering to test their vans out in the good old scottish rain for a few months, putting a hosepipe on it clearly doesn't have the same effect IMO.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Aren‘t you being unnecessarily picky there?
Yes bit of damp must be annoying shame dealer could not fix but sure there are others who can sort it for you.
Don't let the small things in life get you down.

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
Nope! Ivehad enough. £48K is not a lot to some folk but a life savings for others. How many chances and how long do we have to do without a van. Mums 80 now so not getting any younger, she should be enjoying the van and not stressing over the heap of S**T!
Wish I could afford 48k for a van,, Id still buy an older one with the faults ironed out and spend the rest travelling

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Yes bit of damp must be annoying shame dealer could not fix but sure there are others who can sort it for you.

Unfortunately, for Irnbru it is NOT a small thing. I agree with her entirely. £48K is a Hell of a lot of money for most people on here, plus the absolute hassle of expecting it to be fixed but it wasn't, wondering if it will ever be fixed or if it will just sit devaluing with her not getting any fun out of it. Nightmare!

I'd be well stressed out also.

Good luck with getting it fixed Irnbru.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Should have bought a Swift..... The leak wouldn't have come as a surprise then. :whistle2:

Seriously.... I've had two Kontiki and just one leaking window on the 11 year old.... They are under-rated in my book.
Our old Swift is 25 coming 26yrs old & is as dry as a bone, I checked every nook & cranny yesterday as the rain here has been awful.
Folks seem to think Kon-Tiki's are a cheap alternative, but our findings have been like pappajohn says, they are good.
Sandra has forked out her hard to come by money & its understandable that she is upset, I'd be raging & wanting to pull the dealers head off, then his arms & hit him with the soggy ends.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Hi Sandra sorry to hear if your problems, hope you get it sorted in new year👍
we have a new Benimar Tessoro 486 and love it. Dry as a bone, checked everyday, every cupboard no issues. Seems to b just a bad repair 😘

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Folks seem to think Kon-Tiki's are a cheap alternative, but our findings have been like pappajohn says, they are good.
Sandra has forked out her hard to come by money & its understandable that she is upset, I'd be raging & wanting to pull the dealers head off, then his arms & hit him with the soggy ends.
Well said 👍🏻

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I'm more annoyed it was supposed to be all sorted with new roof cappings put on that took a while to order. Knowing how mum stressed over the repairs the last time I'm trying to keep it from her until after Xmas at least. The dealer has been fine with actually carrying out the warranty work, but its the standard of the repair thats clearly not good when its still leaking, there must be a cut off when it goes out of warranty and I fear it will be ...Oh sorry your vans out of warranty now.

I think maybe I should write to all manufacturers offering to test their vans out in the good old scottish rain for a few months, putting a hosepipe on it clearly doesn't have the same effect IMO.

is it possible the roof joints were not the cause of the problem

damp, as I have found out, may not come out where it gets in

jyst a thought before they fix a possible non problem again 🤔 time for a fresh pair of eyes maybe 👍

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Unfortunately, for Irnbru it is NOT a small thing. I agree with her entirely. £48K is a Hell of a lot of money for most people on here, plus the absolute hassle of expecting it to be fixed but it wasn't, wondering if it will ever be fixed or if it will just sit devaluing with her not getting any fun out of it. Nightmare!

I'd be well stressed out also.

Good luck with getting it fixed Irnbru.
You seem to have missed the point of my post

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
is it possible the roof joints were not the cause of the problem

damp, as I have found out, may not come out where it gets in

jyst a thought before they fix a possible non problem again 🤔 time for a fresh pair of eyes maybe 👍
The photos they showed me last time were of drip marks on the wall and water damaged inside trim, we never spotted either of these and on a day to day basis would have been hard to spot with drop down bed not being used...not dropped to spot.

It’s sickening as the rest of the van is spot on . The leak is where hab meets cab and is the lowest position of vehicle when sat on the driveway. It only had its latest damp test 1st Oct and showed a reading of 14.

Sandra has forked out her hard to come by money
I wish! :) I own probably 2 wheels and the steering wheel, the main outlay is mums hard cash.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The leak is where hab meets cab and is the lowest position of vehicle when sat on the driveway. It only had its latest damp test 1st Oct and showed a reading of 14.
Might not be in the same area \ or same issue but we had a problem with the sealing between the top of the "B" pillar and the overcab luton. Raked this out and resealed and it's been fine since. Higher readings were showing at floor level.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Our old Swift is 25 coming 26yrs old & is as dry as a bone, I checked every nook & cranny yesterday as the rain here has been awful.
If every I'm in trouble I want you on my side :xsmile:

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Value should not matter if your pride and joy has faults. we spent over £80,000 on a according to the dealer a brand new recently in stock. Van. As there was a delay in registrations they agreed to deliver it.
was duly parked in my garage. Man came to fit a tracker next day noticed some repairs to the body work. Being a (new) van I hadn’t look that close. The front offside had a poor quality repair some of the surface was. Uneven where the filler had not. Been finished off, overspray on the rubber round the windscreen and A post. Uneven lacquer finish. Dealer said they had no knowledge of it. Collected it I got it back three weeks later, even their. Contract bodywork firm said it had been repaired previously. Still claimed to have no knowledge. Contacted makers they investigated and said no knowledge of any incident and if there had been damage at the factory you certainly would not see any evidence as their repair would be as good as new. Driving down to France kept getting flashed by oncoming traffic. Checked the next day the nearside headlight bracket was broken that is the opposite side to the repair. Plastic was broken and the metal support bracket bent. Quite how severe this brand new vans damage was will never be known. But dealer doesn’t want to know, when I said I would take it to court, they said they were quite happy to defend it to barrister level if I did so. Then offered a free habitation check as compensation. This was after they knocked £3,000 of my trade in price they had agreed. As according to them there was severe damp in mine, which would take a long time to dry out and repair.My old van was on another dealers for court five days later and enquiries by a third party was told they would have it ready in a week. If you recognise this story no dealer to be named at the moment please for legal reasons. Also the stress has made me unwell and not able to progress it even though it is over a year ago We bought the van.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Value should not matter if your pride and joy has faults. we spent over £80,000 on a according to the dealer a brand new recently in stock. Van. As there was a delay in registrations they agreed to deliver it.
was duly parked in my garage. Man came to fit a tracker next day noticed some repairs to the body work. Being a (new) van I hadn’t look that close. The front offside had a poor quality repair some of the surface was. Uneven where the filler had not. Been finished off, overspray on the rubber round the windscreen and A post. Uneven lacquer finish. Dealer said they had no knowledge of it. Collected it I got it back three weeks later, even their. Contract bodywork firm said it had been repaired previously. Still claimed to have no knowledge. Contacted makers they investigated and said no knowledge of any incident and if there had been damage at the factory you certainly would not see any evidence as their repair would be as good as new. Driving down to France kept getting flashed by oncoming traffic. Checked the next day the nearside headlight bracket was broken that is the opposite side to the repair. Plastic was broken and the metal support bracket bent. Quite how severe this brand new vans damage was will never be known. But dealer doesn’t want to know, when I said I would take it to court, they said they were quite happy to defend it to barrister level if I did so. Then offered a free habitation check as compensation. This was after they knocked £3,000 of my trade in price they had agreed. As according to them there was severe damp in mine, which would take a long time to dry out and repair.My old van was on another dealers for court five days later and enquiries by a third party was told they would have it ready in a week. If you recognise this story no dealer to be named at the moment please for legal reasons. Also the stress has made me unwell and not able to progress it even though it is over a year ago We bought the van.
Truly disgraceful , con men .

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I would call their bluff and take my chance in court, for a new van that's disgraceful

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Bessy765 Your van woes seem much more than mine I’m sorry to read about them and yes they are not acceptable. Did you have to pay to get the light bracket sorted? How is the van now? Is the dealer doing ANYTHING to help remedy the paintwork etc? The one thing I recognise from your story is how dealers always happen to find damp when you are trading yours in but never find any in the van they are selling.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Just to make it clear in case that is taken out of context, my remark about being picky referred directly to Robert Clark’s pedantic comment and not Sandra’s damp issues. Thanks

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Wasn't there a thing a couple of years ago where some brand new motoromes were damaged on a ferry in a storm, or am I dreaming it.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Just to make it clear in case that is taken out of context, my remark about being picky referred directly to Robert Clark’s pedantic comment and not Sandra’s damp issues. Thanks
We knew that,

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Wasn't there a thing a couple of years ago where some brand new motoromes were damaged on a ferry in a storm, or am I dreaming it.
Not a one off event when you see brand new benimars transported on the open ferry deck and swamped with salt water spray

OllyHughes

Free Member
Feb 15, 2010
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyanne 584
Exp
Since 1992
:eek:
Are you calling Sandra a camel???
👍:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Thats a bit naughty
asiasgottalent GIF by AXN Asia

goldwingman

Free Member
Dec 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
mobilvetta 1.9td
this is a terrible situation for the couple who bought this MH.

what i would say is this.........i totally disregard anything i see on FB, how can anyone tell if reviews are genuine? Ive spent a lifetime (45 years) in the motor trade as a dealer and i could write a book about all the scam artists out there.
My advice to anyone thinking of buying a new motor home is first consider if buying brand new is the best course of action, I think one course of action that has some merit to it would be to wait until you see one advertised by a private seller who due to circumstances has to sell, i.e. partner has died, or due to health issues can no longer drive etc. i know some people may feel uneasy taking advantage of someone else's misfortune in life but if you don't buy it somebody else will, no doubt about that.
Also, (and this would apply to any new vehicle) the minute you drive it off the forecourt you have dropped 10 to 15% of the resale value.
The golden rule must be never buy anything that cant be converted back to cash quickly if your circumstances change.
HPI checks are an absolute must, although in the case under discussion here it would not have affected the final outcome. Ive bought a few lemons in my time. it's the law of averages. Its a sad story for this couple and i realise not everyone can stand that kind of loss. The villain of the piece in this instance is the sellers and their solicitors who have concocted this scam, they deserve jail time, but legally they have not committed any offence.

wish i could be of more help, GOLDWINGMAN

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back