Motorhome Dealer window prices (1 Viewer)

Aug 23, 2022
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail tracker
Exp
As of today, 23/8/22 minus a few weeks! ( deposit paid, awaiting collection)
Good Afternoon
I’d like to hear your experiences and thoughts on buying from a dealership. In particular did you pay the full window price or haggle for less?
I’m half way through the very informative buyers guide available here to members.
We are currently looking to purchase a low mileage, one owner motorhome but was wondering how much less can you hope to pay off of the advertised price. As the article says, we are not generally comfortable at the haggling bit and it does seem a bit daunting but obviously want the best possible price we can get.

What was your experience!

Phil in Northampton

Jul 4, 2021
North Dorset
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We managed to get 10% off a ticket price very recently, and as sales are slow there will always been room to move. How much will be dependant on how long they’ve had it, Whether they take finance to buy it and how much they have in it. All that said , if they’ve had it a while they will want stock to move.

Upvote 1

FEC

Apr 23, 2023
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
6 months into the adventure
We bought our MH last summer so have gone through this not so long ago... (A 2019, one previous owner van low mileage van). Our situation was that we really wanted the particular model (having done all our research) and a dealer within 2 hours drive away. So there wasn't a lot of choice as it was the right model, with low mileage and price seemed consistent with other models and alterative models with same spec....(there were only 8 across the whole UK on Autotrader) So it was the van for us and I didn't want to miss it. When it came to the 'haggling', what I asked for rather than price reduction, was additional things that weren't included on the van that it would cost dealer less than me to get hold of. So a new Fiamma awning was thrown in and fitted for free which I wanted and would have cost me around £1K-1.5K to buy and get fitted afterwards. I think I also got movement on the warranty extension too. So in the end I paid the asking price but got +£1500 of adds ons that I would have needed anyway. Also the van has only arrived at the dealers so if it was one they found harder to shoft you would probably have more leverage on the price discussion? Good luck!

Upvote 0
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
If you're trading in an existing van, the key thing is really cost to change - at any event, that's what we haggle on, rather than the window price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P
Aug 23, 2022
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail tracker
Exp
As of today, 23/8/22 minus a few weeks! ( deposit paid, awaiting collection)
Thanks all! (mostly😄)

FEC , very similar situation, however after first looking at Elddis Majestic 105 we were disappointed with the storage arrangement, especially no outside access. And the two underwear areas not being free from “stuff”
So now looking to see what fits the criteria

Central Kitchen, end bathroom.
Under 6.4
Up to 3/4 years old
Reasonable low mileage.
Nice colour upholstery ( she says)
Local ish to Northampton
As good storage as possible (some outside access) for the size of van.

We were probably spoilt for space in our old Autotrail Tracker that we no longer have.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Phil in Northampton

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Don't worry about the mileage. Motorhomes are based on industrial vehicles designed for high mileage. Low mileage probably means that it has spent most of its life sitting still on a driveway or storage unit. That is not good for the engine, running gear and tyres.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back