Motorhome and getting about once on a site! (1 Viewer)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
walk, bus, bike or car depending where we’re going. (y)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Even though our PVC is only 6.4 m we don't always want to upsticks so bikes plus public transport. When the family visited us in Spain this year we hired a car for a week, a Fiat Tipo cost £70 plus £12 for standalone insurance.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
no problem

Or.........

IMG_1116.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We only use sites and aires to stay overnight, we use the motorhome to visit places we want to see.
If we do have to stay more than one night we would choose somewhere near where we wanted to visit and walk. (with the dog)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I've not done the sums but, for the number of times we've actually needed the car, I'm sure it would've been cheaper to hire one or get a taxi than take it with us.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Would love to take my Morris 1000 but am useless at reversing.
Hi
The secret is to keep the units as straight as possible when you start. "Jack knifing in" Comes easier,once you have got used to the responses of the vehicles . Go on! Do it! You know you want to.:xThumb: Tip. If you are going to hit something...Hit something...CHEAP!!:xrofl::xrofl:
Tea Bag

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
So whats the consensus then on how to get about once sited?

We all talk about pros and cons with regard to a MoHo versus a caravan when it comes to touring. I had plenty of both over the years

The bit Im struggling with when I use the MoHo is what to take or not to take. Or to buy maybe

At present I sometimes take a motor bike on a trailer great in the summer but not so great in the winter.
Plus the dog cant come either

Sometimes nothing especially if the dog comes but then you feel a bit stranded on site at times or take the MoHo out but its not the smallest

Push bikes e bikes are an option I know have to consider or maybe a car to tow a frame or a trailer

Think car and trailer is looking like the only answer but then I think might as well get a caravan and decent 4x4 car

Views appreciated on what works for you and why

Cheers
Get a light motorbike, funnily enough one has just come up for sale on the forum. ;):xThumb:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think at the end of the day it depends what you need the car for? As I said earlier we go birding and need to acces places that the van would not like and a hire car may be possible but I don’t think it practical for us and two dogs so we choose to take our own.
However if all you like to do is visit cities and monuments etc public transport, hire car or bikes (electric or manual) may suffice.
You pays your money and takes your chance, everyone to their own eh?:xgrin::xgrin::xgrin:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We try and get a site relatively close to a town/city centre, near to a bus stop or take a car (following) in this country. Used to take a trailer with the Goldwing in abroad but now take an MP3 scooter on a side loading trailer.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Walk or public transport. Does limit us a bit sometimes but we've had some very interesting bus rides and lovely train journeys seeing places we wouldn't have seen if we'd gone by car. You're more in touch with your surroundings if you walk. Can't be bothered with towing anything.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
What about some roller skates. Sorry lol.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Done the car on a trailer thing..
We have e-bikes and a 125 scooter we hand on a rack

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
walk, bike, e-bike public transport (even used the waterbus in Cardiff - not tried the one in York as we haven't been there since we've had a motorhome). Did have a towbar fitted to the first motorhome with the intention of pulling a trailer with my Midget on it. Never did and did not even spec a trailer when we chnaged the van earlier this year.

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Walk with wife & the dog, if we need to go further we get a bus, but most sites we Visit have good walks near or on. We have been a bit stranded at times in Devon in fields but if thts the case we find somewhere else to stay, guess thtats the advantage of avoiding half term.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
We try and get a site relatively close to a town/city centre, near to a bus stop or take a car (following) in this country. Used to take a trailer with the Goldwing in abroad but now take an MP3 scooter on a side loading trailer.
Hi may I ask as to where you stayed whilst you had the wing on the back (aires or sites) as I’m carting my Harley down to Austria in sept and I’d ruled out aires (stellplatz to be more accurate) as a place to stop overnight. I was thinking of a decent acsi site, one that I cud just park in safety to get my head down. The only Aire I’ll stay at is on the großglockner as it’s a toll road and is shut to through traffic after a set time, so I don’t think that will be a problem! Thanks

Oct 27, 2017
Burntwood, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
2013 Autocruise Accent
Exp
Since 2013
We usually only stay at sites with public transport a reasonable distance from site entrance or within walking distance of town or village. We enjoy ‘bus journeys to and from places where we might not normally stay and can do without the agro of finding somewhere suitable to park even though our vehicles a 6mt PVC. Each to their own I say.

Feb 21, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Fairly new, since Sept 2016
We do a lot of research to find a site with either a bar on site (dog friendly) or a pub within walkable (staggering?!) distance and this is very time consuming. We don't mind a walk, that is part of the enjoyment. We also use public transport and taxis. Why would we want all the hassle of a car/parking when we go away, enough of that at home.

Bikes - no I don't think so, especially as doggie is too big to fit on a basket on the front.

We thought of towing a car but I don't really fancy that. Decided that if we really needed a car we would hire one as it would probably prove cheaper over time.

But I wish site descriptions were clearer in terms of what is in WALKING DISTANCE. "10 minutes to fantastic pub" invariably means by car. Maybe someone should write a guide book to sites from a motorhomers point of view rather than caravaners with cars.

Nov 11, 2018
Brixham, Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
When you are an ancient one public transport in England is free, therefore always look for the public transport sign.

Chapel Lane, Wythall, is brilliant if you want to be near Birmingham, or Solihull, or Redditch. Plus it’s only a mile off the M42.

Likewise in Somerset is Cadewell Lane, Wellington. Bus at the gates for Taunton and thence other places. Also about 2 miles off the M5. Note this is only for self sufficient vans as there is no toilet block.

Have fun
Paul

John65

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2000
DA1D43E2-146A-448F-B2B1-7140E8C0351B.jpeg We spend most of our time abroad now so decided on motorbike and trailer. Plus we can carry lots of junk in the trailer :xThumb:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Hi may I ask as to where you stayed whilst you had the wing on the back (aires or sites) as I’m carting my Harley down to Austria in sept and I’d ruled out aires (stellplatz to be more accurate) as a place to stop overnight. I was thinking of a decent acsi site, one that I cud just park in safety to get my head down. The only Aire I’ll stay at is on the großglockner as it’s a toll road and is shut to through traffic after a set time, so I don’t think that will be a problem! Thanks
We only ever stayed on sites when we took the Wing. Apart from the security aspect there's also the problem of space on aires.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
We have a sub 9m tag axle too and we manage with push bikes and public transport. We’ve considered car hire but never actually hired a car as we’ve always managed.
However, I pick & choose my sites and read reviews.
Aires - we either are passing through or know it’s a short walk or bike ride to the centre.

OP
OP
Monty don

Monty don

Free Member
Oct 15, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Since 2000
I have a few motorbikes
Took one away last week to Derbyshire for a few days on the trailer
It pissed down so not that good in winter
Thats what sparked my original question

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
So whats the consensus then on how to get about once sited?

We all talk about pros and cons with regard to a MoHo versus a caravan when it comes to touring. I had plenty of both over the years

The bit Im struggling with when I use the MoHo is what to take or not to take. Or to buy maybe

At present I sometimes take a motor bike on a trailer great in the summer but not so great in the winter.
Plus the dog cant come either

Sometimes nothing especially if the dog comes but then you feel a bit stranded on site at times or take the MoHo out but its not the smallest

Push bikes e bikes are an option I know have to consider or maybe a car to tow a frame or a trailer

Think car and trailer is looking like the only answer but then I think might as well get a caravan and decent 4x4 car

Views appreciated on what works for you and why

Cheers

Public transport or ebikes for us and occasionally hire a car for a few days if we feel like it! :)

As to to towing a car then my own thoughts are that I would revert to exactly what we had before the MoHo - a good 4x4 (Merc M class) and a Hymer caravan!! still retaining the ebikes

Just my opinion! :)

Hotcrossman

Free Member
Feb 24, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We have had both . . 3 motorhomes 1 Caravan the latter bought specially to tow down to Spain for the Winter (done for 6 years). Having thought in 2010 we were too old to carry on the carefree life - sold up/gave up !
2014 . . . bought MH, changed a year later - currently at 83 tow a Smart on trailer and, as we are now 'fine weather snowbirds'? have no problem towing.
It's horses for courses, if you are able to cycle - electric bike, it is a personal choice. We love our MH to bits and, as my Wife is disabled, our combo suits us fine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back