Motorcycle Dreaming (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
I used to tour Europe when I was in my 40's on an FJ1200 and before that a VFR 750 with my wife riding pillion and was thinking about my retirement coming up in another year. I made the mistake of going onto to gumtree to 'just have a look' at what bikes were for sale and surprise surprise I think I've caught the bug again. There's some fantastic BMW's around R1200 RT'S, K1200GT'S and R1150 RT'S for ridiculously small amounts. They're old but reading reviews they're built to last.
Anyway just day dreaming and it might not ever happen but using an easy lift trailer would my 4.5 tonne Hymer be able to tow one of these big tourers down to France and Spain and even over mountain passes?

Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
I had an RT1150 years ago and they are a bullet proof engine, you can get some later 1200 ex police bikes for good prices. 👍

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
I had an RT1150 years ago and they are a bullet proof engine, you can get some later 1200 ex police bikes for good prices. 👍
Some of the bikes I saw were ex police. My FJ was an ex drugs squad police bike.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I had a string of 1100/1150Rts, a K1200GT, K1300GT, K1600GTL and now a R1250RT.

All great bikes and mile-munchers.

If you can load the trailer your MoHo will tow no trouble. As above, a normal trailer would be better.

Enjoy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I still have a R1150GS bought new in April 2001, have toured Europe on it and done several trips to Spain and Portugal, mostly with a tent... (from Calais).

Must admit that since getting our moho, I haven't used it much at all
Eurotunnel..jpg

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I’ve never been without a bike for over 48 years (old git), had loads of BMW’s, last four bikes being GS’s, couple of Harley’s before them (shame of it) and currently own an R1250GS.
My favourite bike of all time was my 1996 BMW R1100RT, bought at three months old, traded a newish Honda Pan European for it, and toured all over France, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium and the UK of course with Liz on the pillion. I’ve never done as many miles on any other bike.
I would go for as late as possible R1150RT, around 2003/4 before the 1200 came out. Service history and condition under the body work being the things to check.
I recently considered selling my R1250GS and buying an older cheaper bike and the R1150RT was top of the list.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Did a battlefield tour some years back with a load of service mates from all 4 branches. Brilliant trip right across Europe with one of the guys being a sub-marina on his dads gorgeous classic BMW R900, complete with beautiful fitted panniers.

I rode my R1 loaded to the gunnels with spares for the team, tank bag so full I couldn’t see the gauges properly, throw over saddle bags and a roll mat with camping kit etc and he swanned around with just his panniers.

Picture 2 weeks of riding around in all weather and then one day we pull in for petrol and I watch him fill up, pay and then wheel his bike over to the air and water point. He opens one of the panniers and all that’s in it is a small shrub plant and he waters it. Flippin sub-mariners, we cracked up over that, as he was all protective of his plant 🪴 brilliant.
5907E29E-60EE-42EA-B397-9BACABB0B775.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
I’ve never been without a bike for over 48 years (old git), had loads of BMW’s, last four bikes being GS’s, couple of Harley’s before them (shame of it) and currently own an R1250GS.
My favourite bike of all time was my 1996 BMW R1100RT, bought at three months old, traded a newish Honda Pan European for it, and toured all over France, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium and the UK of course with Liz on the pillion. I’ve never done as many miles on any other bike.
I would go for as late as possible R1150RT, around 2003/4 before the 1200 came out. Service history and condition under the body work being the things to check.
I recently considered selling my R1250GS and buying an older cheaper bike and the R1150RT was top of the list.
Thats great advice Tim. Definitely considering it. I really miss riding the bikes.

Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
I’ve got the GS750s it’s fantastic.
There is only ever me on it and it gives more then enough even loaded up for a trip, I’m only 5’5” and 9 stone so being a bit lighter it’s great. I’m a bit stuffed at the moment though after 2 heart attacks and a quadruple heart bypass 14 weeks ago I’ve been told by the surgeon not to even try and ride it for at least 6 months he would rather it be 12 months😥😥😥😥
99442891-389C-437E-9BDD-D1A5574C5D95.jpeg

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I’ve got the GS750s it’s fantastic.
There is only ever me on it and it gives more then enough even loaded up for a trip, I’m only 5’5” and 9 stone so being a bit lighter it’s great. I’m a bit stuffed at the moment though after 2 heart attacks and a quadruple heart bypass 14 weeks ago I’ve been told by the surgeon not to even try and ride it for at least 6 months he would rather it be 12 months😥😥😥😥View attachment 670398
Well I hope you get better soonest but don’t rush it.

Bike like that needs riding, so I can’t believe I’m saying this and it’s a steal really, but if you pay me £50 squiddlies a day, I can take your bike out and give it a dam good run out. For £60 squiddlies I’d even wash it and for £75 squiddlies I’d even check the tyres and fill it up for you.

Oh and you’re welcome 😇

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Seeing your previous bikes, I've got a 1989 VFR750 that I bought in 1994 and still have now! That has been pretty much everywhere over the years - including all round Europe with a mate on a FJ1100.

If you're tall enough, I know that everyone has them but the R1200GS is brilliant - there is a good reason everyone has them! I bought an Adventure 3 years ago, it's so comfortable and versatile. Current model is the 1250 but to be honest I don't think it's worth it, a late model ('14 onwards I think) liquid cooled 1200 is pretty much the same bike for a lot less money. You really can throw them around, they handle very well. I honestly don't see much point in a faired tourer when the GS is so good, you're pretty well protected behind the bodywork on the Adventure model at least. If you want to go less money again then the older models were always highly rated as well.

As for a trailer - I was chatting to a bloke at our local supermarket recently, he had a whacking great LT on a trailer behind his motorhome. The trailer was one that pumped up and down on air suspension, he swore by how easy it was to use. Not cheap but it does look very good.

https://airtrailer.nl/en/motorcycle-trailers-airtrailer-mono/

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Didn't keep my BMW 1200 RT LE long enough or did high milage to notice any reliability issues.
A great bike. Only 3 year old when sold and less than 6k miles on.
I needed an auto, although the BM had pro shift, and wanted a reverse gear so bought a Wing.
IMG_20170526_091713.jpg

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Had one of those for 3 years, did over 40k on it toured France/Belgium /Holland every year, quite a trip from up here. Brilliant bike, had it on PCP, but never again going that route on a bike. Bought my K1300GT for cash.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I got a FJ1200 for free, or the Halifax building society paid for it buy giving me free shares which I cashed in straight away. Toured abroad including Norway, had three piece GIVI luggage, the topbox would take two full face lids. Coming out of our digs in Northern Spain one Summer SHMBO clipped one pannier on (1st time) and we headed off East to Santander, I could just say see the luggage in my mirrors so when I couldn't see the one she fitted it was a quick u-turn and blast back along the road, luckily a resident of some house saw it skidding along the road and picked it it and stood it at the end or her garden, scratched but not badly damaged. :LOL:
Bought an accident damaged BMWR1100GS after the FJ, that was a lovely mile muncher too, transferred the GIVI luggage to that before selling the Yam for £600 to a mate. Happy days.

Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Having carried a range of motorcycles on my Motorhome for a number of years using an Easy lifter and other arrangements, I believe such big bikes are just too heavy for the lifter and rear end of the Motorhome. Whilst not quite as convenient for manoeuvring, I would definitely use an inline or transverse trailer. Another option might be to tow it with an elevated front wheel (with the bikes rear wheel on the ground). However a trailer for me would give the best safe and care free travel for a big bike. Other members of course may be able to suggest other options that have worked for them.

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
Can't for the life of me remember the details, it is 10 years ago at NEC, looks like a typical Harley set up chopped and painted. I foolishly did not photo the description board!
The link shows other pics, the attention to detail is phenomenal, you would not dare take it out on the road!

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Didn't keep my BMW 1200 RT LE long enough or did high milage to notice any reliability issues.
A great bike. Only 3 year old when sold and less than 6k miles on.
I needed an auto, although the BM had pro shift, and wanted a reverse gear so bought a Wing.
View attachment 670556
I did look at the Goldwings but maybe a bit too flamboyant for me. Leaning towards the k1200 gt as lighter and has 4 cyl engine.

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Can't for the life of me remember the details, it is 10 years ago at NEC, looks like a typical Harley set up chopped and painted. I foolishly did not photo the description board!
The link shows other pics, the attention to detail is phenomenal, you would not dare take it out on the road!
Easy Rider :giggle:

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Having carried a range of motorcycles on my Motorhome for a number of years using an Easy lifter and other arrangements, I believe such big bikes are just too heavy for the lifter and rear end of the Motorhome. Whilst not quite as convenient for manoeuvring, I would definitely use an inline or transverse trailer. Another option might be to tow it with an elevated front wheel (with the bikes rear wheel on the ground). However a trailer for me would give the best safe and care free travel for a big bike. Other members of course may be able to suggest other options that have worked for them.
I've never seen a system that would allow the rear wheel on the ground.

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
I got a FJ1200 for free, or the Halifax building society paid for it buy giving me free shares which I cashed in straight away. Toured abroad including Norway, had three piece GIVI luggage, the topbox would take two full face lids. Coming out of our digs in Northern Spain one Summer SHMBO clipped one pannier on (1st time) and we headed off East to Santander, I could just say see the luggage in my mirrors so when I couldn't see the one she fitted it was a quick u-turn and blast back along the road, luckily a resident of some house saw it skidding along the road and picked it it and stood it at the end or her garden, scratched but not badly damaged. :LOL:
Bought an accident damaged BMWR1100GS after the FJ, that was a lovely mile muncher too, transferred the GIVI luggage to that before selling the Yam for £600 to a mate. Happy days.
We did north spain in the FJ - it was one of the best times ever. Headed into north portugal driving down some of the best roads I ever rode on. Full leathers though in 30 degree heat. Had Givi luggage as well for two of us. I want to take the MH with bike on back and do all that again! GS might be too tall for me - I'm 5' 8" and remember trying one when I was looking years ago and my feet couldn't touch the ground.

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Do it!
For my retirement I did a solo two months 3,400 mile European camping trip (Alps, Pyrenees etc) on my 1954 Matchless 350cc bike.

View attachment 670458

The view atop the Col du Tourmalet , one of the highest Pyrenean passes was.........errr..............indescribable.

View attachment 670459
Us guys can have so much fun when we're allowed to (y)

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Had one of those for 3 years, did over 40k on it toured France/Belgium /Holland every year, quite a trip from up here. Brilliant bike, had it on PCP, but never again going that route on a bike. Bought my K1300GT for cash.
Doing that trip on the bike from Edinburgh down to Plymouth was bad enough! Once we were in France though it was great roads all the way to Spain and Portugal

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back