Motorbike up to 125cc on a car License in France (1 Viewer)

Jan 16, 2017
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Since 2015
Is it legal to ride a motorbike in France,Italy and Greece on a Car License ,I passed my test in 1966.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Marshall

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Found this on google. Also I don't think learner licences are valid abroad.

Car driving test passed before 1 February 2001. You can ride a moped (max 50cc) without L plates. If you want to ride a motorcycle over 50cc and up to 125cc you will need to take CBT. Once you have a valid CBT certificate you can ride a 125cc with L plates.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As Olly said.....provision licence is not permitted anywhere in Europe.....and probably anywhere else as well.
Provisional licence means you haven't yet met the minimum legal standard to drive unsupervised.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M
Jan 16, 2017
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Since 2015
Have not got a Provisional License I have Car License and as OLLY said I can drive a Scooter/Moped up to 50cc in the UK however what is the situation abroad.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Have not got a Provisional License I have Car License and as OLLY said I can drive a Scooter/Moped up to 50cc in the UK however what is the situation abroad.
Yes, I appreciate you have a car licence......which doubles as a provisional licence for any categories you haven't passed a test for.....ie: motorbike....bus...roadroller etc
With a CBT certificate and 125cc bike you still need L plates which means you haven't passed a test so have a provisional licence.

The law says you can ride a 50cc bike on a car licence and the licence is a European version so also applies abroad but you asked about a 125cc bike.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Here in Spain a car licence covers a bike up to 125cc without doing anything else .

Here

The relevant Spanish law says:-

"Las personas que estén en posesión del permiso de la clase B en vigor, con una antigüedad superior a tres años, podrán conducir dentro del territorio nacional las motocicletas cuya conducción autoriza el permiso de la clase A1."

Simply translated it says that if you have a valid car licence more than 3 years old, you can drive a A1 motor cycle (ie up to 125cc) within Spain.

That of course applies to holders of Spanish licences but it seems that under the EU rules about mutual recognition of licences that the law in Spain would apply to a UK licence so you get the bonus of being able to do something that you would not be allowed to do in the UK. BYythe same token a Spaniard can only drive a moped in the UK on his car licence.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
In France this says ;

A car licence ( B) entitles you to ride a motorcycle of up to 125cc, provided you’ve been driving for at least two years (although you must retake the theory exam if you’ve held a licence for more than five years without riding a motorcycle). from here.https://www.justlanded.com/english/France/Articles/Travel-Leisure/Motorcycles-in-France

so with reciprocal rights it would seem you would be covered on a UK licence as long as you have "ridden a bike on a car licence " in last 5 years

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I don't think a UK licence would allow you to drive a 125cc bike in Spain Gus. What you can drive is whats on your licence I would have thought.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would expect reciprocal rights to mean a Spanish person could ride a 125 in the UK on his car licence but a UK person could only ride a 50cc in Spain.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Greece you need a minimum A1 even to hire a moped
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/greece/safety-and-security

And of course, L plates mean no pillion unless they hold a full bike licence.
Yes , no pillions here or 'L' plates for that matter.

I don't think a UK licence would allow you to drive a 125cc bike in Spain Gus. What you can drive is whats on your licence I would have thought.

No Spain ,along with Portugal class a B car licence as allowing AM ( Up to 50cc)& A1 ( up to 125cc )after 3 years holding it. No pillions allowed .
http://n332.es/2016/01/14/what-types-of-vehicles-can-i-drive/

It would come under reciprocal rights if you held a UK licence for B.

& I have found the full list here;

B licence holders in Czech Republic (only motorcycles with automatic transmission), Italy, Latvia, Malta, Slovakia (after two years and only motorcycles with automatic transmission), Spain (after three years), Poland (after three years), Portugal (at least 25 years old or additional licence for mopeds) and Belgium (only with a Belgian Driving Licence, after two years) are allowed to drive motorcycles not exceeding 125cc within the respective countries. In Austria (after five years, training of 6 hours), France (after two years, a training of 7 hours), Luxembourg (after two years, training of 7 hours) and the United Kingdom (Compulsory Basic Training), a practical training without exam is needed for B licence holders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_driving_licence#Categories_valid_in_all_EEA_countries_.5B7.5D

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I would expect reciprocal rights to mean a Spanish person could ride a 125 in the UK on his car licence but a UK person could only ride a 50cc in Spain.
Yes `perhaps I have used the wrong word. A spaniard in UK would only be allowed up to 50cc without a CBT whereas a Uk B holder can ride one in spain & other countries on produation of an EU licence showing B entitlement as long as that country allows it & subject to the varying requirements some countries in last list have.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
And of course, L plates mean no pillion unless they hold a full bike licence.
Learner riders are no longer allowed to carry pillions even if they, ie pillion ,have a full licence.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Is it legal to ride a motorbike in France,Italy and Greece on a Car License ,I passed my test in 1966.
In the UK. you can ride a bike < 50cc, and carry a pillion, with a car licence obtained < 1997. By convention, reciprocity, you can do the same in the EU and other countries with reciprocal arragements.

So, NO, not 125cc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back