MOT confusion (1 Viewer)

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Any change in MOT date due to Coronavirus extension is on the GOV.UK web site.
It still shows Mrs Else's car due on 24th April and the MH on 30th May.
I thought thing were to change at the start of April.
Does anyone know when things will change.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
How do you go on at the end of the 6month extension if we are still in lockdown?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

No... It will only change just before the date due.
Mine was due on the 9th April and changed yesterday.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
It's a rolling timescale from mid April. If your mot is not due yet then the date will not be shown as extended, I believe the dates start to change from 13th april, to Oct
If the lock down continues the due dates will move forward, but if the lock down ends say in May then the extension will stop. Its a flexible extension. It explains it all on the website.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It's a rolling timescale from mid April. If your mot is not due yet then the date will not be shown as extended, I believe the dates start to change from 13th april, to Oct
If the lock down continues the due dates will move forward, but if the lock down ends say in May then the extension will stop. Its a flexible extension. It explains it all on the website.

Started last Monday, Jim, 30th March.
As above mine has already changed (y)

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Yes appreciate it started 30th March but not all dates were extended immediately. My car mot is due 24th April and is still due 24th April, I am not expecting it to change untill mid April. If it was due say mid May and the lock down was to end 1st May then there would be no change to the mot, its a rolling programme such that the govt can reinstate the mot due dates when this CV lock down issue is resolved. So you have to keep up to date with the website if your mot is, due, soon.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I hope they allow enough time to get them all done at the end there's going to be half a years worth waiting to be done.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The confusion for me is that the Guidance says you must keep your vehicle roadworthy, and have regard to the service intervals in your handbook. What is missing is any mention that taking your vehicle to a garage or MOT station is a reasonable excuse not to stay at home.

Car repair and MOT services are in the SCHEDULE 2 PART 3 list of businesses authorised to stay open during the emergency period.

Taking the two together strongly implies a possibility of repairs, service or MOT tests being "reasonable excuse" exceptions to the instruction to stay at home, although not included in the list in Regulation 6 (2) which is itself not exhaustive. Still a grey area.

The emergency restrictions are due to be reviewed every 21 days, the first one on 16 April.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The confusion for me is that the Guidance says you must keep your vehicle roadworthy, and have regard to the service intervals in your handbook. What is missing is any mention that taking your vehicle to a garage or MOT station is a reasonable excuse not to stay at home.

Car repair and MOT services are in the SCHEDULE 2 PART 3 list of businesses authorised to stay open during the emergency period.

Taking the two together strongly implies a possibility of repairs, service or MOT tests being "reasonable excuse" exceptions to the instruction to stay at home, although not included in the list in Regulation 6 (2) which is itself not exhaustive. Still a grey area.

The emergency restrictions are due to be reviewed every 21 days, the first one on 16 April.
If they thought it was reasonable to go for an MOT why would they have extended the date for renewal. If you were on your way for an MOT how could it be reasonable to go for it if they have said it is not essential to do it at the moment even more so if the DVLA have any other vehicles registered at your address?. The fact it's not listed means to me that its not ok to get it done.
Sounds like another bit of trip out creep for some.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
If your not using your vehicle during lockdown or having limited use of it, then it should not really be deteriorating with wear and tear to make it un-roadworthy anymore than it was at the start of the lockdown.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Slightly off track but , if your vehicle fails mot thru a damaged windscreen and auto glass ( Insurance companies most use ? ) are currently shut only repairing key workers , what happens then ? A long wait till back in business ?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Slightly off track but , if your vehicle fails mot thru a damaged windscreen and auto glass ( Insurance companies most use ? ) are currently shut only repairing key workers , what happens then ? A long wait till back in business ?
That's an unforeseen consequence if you take it for an MOT and it's decided that it's unsafe to drive away and use then it's good in a way that you're off the road but could be harder to get parts.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
and if it fails you only get 10 days on the existing MOT to have it repaired and retested or you're without a valid MOT. How does that leave you if the vehicle has to be parked on the road without a valid MOT?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The extension must be a relief for some people who are in the shielding group but have their MOT due but can't get out to have it done.

Our car was collected, MOTed and returned having passed the MOT. :)

Van not due until July.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If they thought it was reasonable to go for an MOT why would they have extended the date for renewal. If you were on your way for an MOT how could it be reasonable to go for it if they have said it is not essential to do it at the moment even more so if the DVLA have any other vehicles registered at your address?. The fact it's not listed means to me that its not ok to get it done.
Sounds like another bit of trip out creep for some.

Some further brief points as to why I think it is OK despite the grey area:

essential is not the actual wording of the Regulation. If Parliament had meant that it would have said so. You only have to be able to show a reasonable excuse for your need to leave the place where you live.

The MOT amnesty didn't apply to MOTs that were due to expire before 30 March, a week into the stay at home instruction; therefore trips to MOT test stations were envisaged at the very least to enable key workers to be able to drive to work in vehicles to which the amnesty did not apply. This is the Guidance:

"29 March 2020 or before

You must book an MOT as usual unless either:
You must stay at home (self-isolate) if either of these situations apply - do not take your vehicle for its MOT.

Follow the guidance for what to do if your MOT runs out."

If you follow the link to the "getting an MOT" current official Guidance even gives an example set in the current emergency period:

Example
Your MOT is due to run out on 15 May, so the earliest you can get it done is 16 April. However, you take your vehicle for its MOT on 14 April and it passes. This means that the MOT expiry date changes to 13 April the following year.

Why would the Guidance say that if it wasn't permitted?

If that isn't enough, the Regulation says "including" so the list can be construed eiusdem generis (as the rule of interpretation used to say before Latin maxims got banned). In other words, you can interpret the Regulation as including other reasonable excuses for your need to leave the house, not stated on this list, as long as your purpose is in a similar vein to stated examples.

I suspect that the MOT amnesty might have been intended as an incentive to stay at home to reduce the number of non-essential journeys but it doesn't of itself make a trip to the MOT station a breach of the Regs.

HTH

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Why would you assume taking a vehicle for a mot would be classed as non essential if so why are the mot stations open

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Why would you assume taking a vehicle for a mot would be classed as non essential if so why are the mot stations open
Because there are some people who are required to be at work in critical jobs if they are concerned about the safety of their vehicle they might need to take it for an MOT. I think it's actually more likely that the intention was to keep garages open for that group and the mot service is coincidental a bit like supermarkets selling stuff they happen to stock when the intention was food supply. Why else would they extend MOT other than in the shielding group?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Because there are some people who are required to be at work in critical jobs if they are concerned about the safety of their vehicle they might need to take it for an MOT. I think it's actually more likely that the intention was to keep garages open for that group and the mot service is coincidental a bit like supermarkets selling stuff they happen to stock when the intention was food supply. Why else would they extend MOT other than in the shielding group?
Come to think of it maybe a better question is if someone is keen to do their best to avoid spread with the number of deaths and our PM being ill why would they visit an MOT station when the mot has been extended?. If they do aren't they clearly like the idiots on the park having a picnic looking for ways to creep out and not worried about anyone else.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
That was not what I asked re read it our local council mot station is open and the do not repair only mots

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
That was not what I asked re read it our local council mot station is open and the do not repair only mots
See the last post do you agree anyone going out is bending the rules in a similar fashion to the idiots sitting in parks?

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
No I don't if you cannot go for a mot why are the mot stations open but totally agree about the idiots going to the park

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
The Gvt will extend all MoT's by six months as they become due during the locksown, so why on earth would someone go for an MoT when they don't need to!

Mick
totally agree it was more in answer to post #7

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The Gvt will extend all MoT's by six months as they become due during the locksown, so why on earth would someone go for an MoT when they don't need to!

Mick

It depends. If you need your vehicle to go to work or for some other permitted reasonable excuse to leave your house, then MOT amnesty or not you still have to maintain it and keep it roadworthy otherwise you commit an offence. The MOT itself only indicates the safety of the vehicle on that particular day, as we know.

If it needs to be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's handbook, then why not get the MOT done at the same time. Only one journey there and back. When the 6 month MOT amnesty / extension ends, and travel restrictions are relaxed, there could be a hell of a scramble to get MOTs. Test stations will most likely be unable to cope with sudden high demand. You might have a long wait and meanwhile your MOT runs out. That's one reason to combine it with the annual service or a repair. Assuming of course your Fiat Professional workshop is open.

Vinyl gloves, antibacterial gel and wipes, facemask, all the usual precautions should avoid spreading the virus.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I had my MOT booked prior to the stay at home instruction so I phoned the garage who said I could cancel if I wanted but they also said that the vehicle should still be kept roadworthy, I then phoned my insurance company who intimated the same. That if I had an accident and it didn’t have a valid MOT there may be a reduction in the payout. I went ahead and got it done, driving it straight to the garage and back to storage. I also haven’t sorted it, not that I think we are going anywhere soon.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Has the Gov. not said that only ESSENTIAL shops and services are to remain open ? Therefore any shop or service which remains open surely must be classed as an essential service ?

B&Q are heavily pushing on their website flowers and plants which you can order by click and collect. I'd say that a visit to a garage for the peace of mind of a new MOT is much more essential than flowers and plants.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Think we all need to remember that an MOT is only confirmation that a vehicle is roadworthy at the time it passed the test. If it became unroadworthy the next day say by driving over a pothole and the wall of a tyre was damaged, you are still at fault \ unroadworthy even though you have a valid MOT.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Has the Gov. not said that only ESSENTIAL shops and services are to remain open ? Therefore any shop or service which remains open surely must be classed as an essential service ?

B&Q are heavily pushing on their website flowers and plants which you can order by click and collect. I'd say that a visit to a garage for the peace of mind of a new MOT is much more essential than flowers and plants.
I'd say neither is essential anyone doing either is not trying their best to avoid contact. In the case of B andQ at least you're not having someone else in your car just before you and neither are the staff coming potentially into contact with the inside of your vehicle just after you have been in it. To my mind its the same as inviting someone into your house totally against the spirit of the restrictions

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back