AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Just had the first Mot. Ford Transit 6mt long, chasson 510. Hadn’t spotted before that you get axle weights on MOT report.
So, our motorhome, no water, no passengers, no food, but with kitchen stuff, and 2 full 13kg calour gas, bottled chairs table ramps, full fuel tank. Weights were,

Front 1562kgs.
Rear. 1472kgs.
Total weight 3034
Van plated at 3500kgs.

Weight plate on van, front 1850kgs, Rear 2250kgs

Therefore loads of tolerance on back axle , but not so much on front. Explains why after 17k miles the rear tyres pumped up to 4.5 bar as door sticker advises, have more wear in the middle, than edges.

Put in me and wife plus dog in then additional 150odd kgs in front of van.
Water 160 kg midships. Plus clothes, food, beer,and bikes (1mtr overhang), should be ok when in full touring mode. Around 100kg spare.

So found one way to have an annual weight check.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Just had the first Mot. Ford Transit 6mt long, chasson 510. Hadn’t spotted before that you get axle weights on MOT report.
So, our motorhome, no water, no passengers, no food, but with kitchen stuff, and 2 full 13kg calour gas, bottled chairs table ramps, full fuel tank. Weights were,

Front 1562kgs.
Rear. 1472kgs.
Total weight 3034
Van plated at 3500kgs.

Therefore loads of tolerance on back axle , but not so much on front. Explains why after 17k miles the rear tyres pumped up to 4.5 bar as door sticker advises, have more wear in the middle, than edges.

Water 160 kg midships. Plus clothes, food, beer,and bikes (1mtr overhang), should be ok when in full touring mode. Around 100kg spare.

Is that common? Never seen a weight report like that on an MOT.

Ours was 3180 fully loaded (1/4 tank of water) with 2 people, I got a free weigh in at the local quarry :)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I've been looking at the weight measurement on the brake-rolling road for years! Never seen it on the report though: I'll go and check.

My MH MOT man is very helpful, allowing me to sit in the cab to switch lights, press brake, washers etc. Then we walk round underneath the MH, where he sprays brake-pipes and exposed areas with white grease, while we discuss where I've been, local news, families etc. He also lets me be in the cab to apply the brakes and then drive out of the bay while he prepares to print the certificates. [My car MOT man insisted that I sit outside the test area and have no contact until he is finished.]

Gordon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
AXO66

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Is that common? Never seen a weight report like that on an MOT.

Ours was 3180 fully loaded (1/4 tank of water) with 2 people, I got a free weigh in at the local quarry :)

It’s on a sheet of paper showing something called wheel drag and efficiency if presented weight:oops:

No real idea what it-means, but says passed (y)

Other bit i get is the exhaust emmisions test sheet.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Seems pointless to me,but interesting,nevertheless.
Nothing shown about weight on my recent mot.
The only weights that matter are those that apply when you are fully loaded,and the only way of doing that is at a weighbridge.

OP
OP
AXO66

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
I've been looking at the weight measurement on the brake-rolling road for years! Never seen it on the report though: I'll go and check.

My MH MOT man is very helpful, allowing me to sit in the cab to switch lights, press brake, washers etc. Then we walk round underneath the MH, where he sprays brake-pipes and exposed areas with white grease, while we discuss where I've been, local news, families etc. He also lets me be in the cab to apply the brakes and then drive out of the bay while he prepares to print the certificates. [My car MOT man insisted that I sit outside the test area and have no contact until he is finished.]

Gordon

Ah the benefits of rural life. My MOT man won’t drive ours onto the ramps....just in case... I do it. Wife taught his kids ,so plenty to chat about as test done.

OP
OP
AXO66

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
The only weights that matter are those that apply when you are fully loaded,and the only way of doing that is at a weighbridge.

Defiantly true
But as i hadn’t noticed this before thought to just put it on here.as might be of interest.

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
Defiantly true
But as i hadn’t noticed this before thought to just put it on here.as might be of interest.
It is of interest, and used sensibly, like taking the trouble to either remove stuff before test, or weigh and record what you leave in it, kit can be very useful.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Not all vehicle lifts have the weighing facility, the one that I use on a regular basis does not because I have asked. They do let me have a look underneath though while it’s up in the air mainly to check on the tank straps

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Don't rely on the weights.
My 7500kg RV showed just 640kg on the front axle.... The V10 engine and 4 speed auto box alone would far exceed that.
The rear axle showed just under 3 ton.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I suspect it has as much to do with the age of the test equipment. Much modern stuff has "bells and whistles" But is not a "Requirement". Older kit being adequate (for the time being). So therefore is not replaced just for the Hell of it, the cost of most of this stuff is horrendous! I have earlier MOT`s which do have the weights printed. (and shows the front axle as 640Kg!!) But the last one (done locally) does not?. The weighbridge showed the front as 1620Kg BTW.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I suspect it has as much to do with the age of the test equipment. Much modern stuff has "bells and whistles" But is not a "Requirement". Older kit being adequate (for the time being). So therefore is not replaced just for the Hell of it, the cost of most of this stuff is horrendous! I have earlier MOT`s which do have the weights printed. (and shows the front axle as 640Kg!!) But the last one (done locally) does not?. The weighbridge showed the front as 1620Kg BTW.
The thing is Pete, they need the axle weight to calculate the brake force required for the MOT.
Obviously an axle weighing a true 2500kg will require a lesser force/effort than that of a displayed weight is 4000kg so it will never reach the required force without wheels locking early...

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The thing is Pete, they need the axle weight to calculate the brake force required for the MOT.
Obviously an axle weighing a true 2500kg will require a lesser force/effort than that of a displayed weight is 4000kg so it will never reach the required force without wheels locking early...
True John, but many of the earlier units did not do printouts of the weights, just the Results of the testing. As in ie; "Pass" or "Fail" or recorded as %age. Bill, who does my Motorhomes and cars, His kit came out of the Ark, I suspect! :giggler:

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I take my van in for MOT fully freighted.
Full water, fuel etc ready to go. Just needs myself and memsahib
Always had axle weights, and very little variance each year.
Got just over 600 kg to play with..

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Had weights shown on my MOT done last week. MH mostly empty so I have weighed everything I put in it so I have a general idea of weight.

postic17

Free Member
Aug 19, 2019
Corsham Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class LMC 1988
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello all
I'm a newbie so have been going through alot of the posts here. The weights subject made me look at what my MoHo has designated. I was startled to see that the gross weight limit is just 2800kg. It is a 1988 LMC Liberty on a Ducato2500; I'm concerned as most posts I've read are mentioning 3500 and over - I have on-board 100L water; solar panel and leisure battery. What's the typical load weight when deploying? I'm concerned that my gross weight is so low that I can't pack everything - and I'm intending to take a year going round Europe (if we're still allowed) next year.
I'm looking to get to a Weighbridge fairly soon, but your advices would be appreciated

Attachments

• lmc liberty Munny.jpg
    lmc liberty Munny.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 15

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Hello all
I'm a newbie so have been going through alot of the posts here. The weights subject made me look at what my MoHo has designated. I was startled to see that the gross weight limit is just 2800kg. It is a 1988 LMC Liberty on a Ducato2500; I'm concerned as most posts I've read are mentioning 3500 and over - I have on-board 100L water; solar panel and leisure battery. What's the typical load weight when deploying? I'm concerned that my gross weight is so low that I can't pack everything - and I'm intending to take a year going round Europe (if we're still allowed) next year.
I'm looking to get to a Weighbridge fairly soon, but your advices would be appreciated
Whats stopping you getting to a weighbridge now??
Pack it for travel and get it weighed
No opinion on here will come close to fact............or is it a case of denial:):)

postic17

Free Member
Aug 19, 2019
Corsham Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class LMC 1988
Exp
I'm a newbie
At the moment I'm sorting the electrics out - 30 years have resulted in a number of bodge jobs including using too thin a cable for some connections, so I'm wanting to ensure all the wiring is safe - especially as I'm making a few additions - before driving it anywhere. I just though 2800kg seemed low from all the reports.
But thanks for replying!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Apart from self, wife, and dogs, mine is fully loaded when I take it for MoT. The water tank may or may not be topped off but it won't be empty.

Sep 10, 2019
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware s
Exp
Since 2015

Front 1562kgs.
Rear. 1472kgs.
Total weight 3034
Van plated at 3500kgs.

Front 1562kgs.
Rear. 1472kgs.
Total weight 3034
Van plated at 3500kgs.

You don't need an annual weight test .on some mot brake testers the weight is taken automatically to calculate the brake efficiency only ,with brake testers with no weight sensors the efficiency of brakes is calculated by the gvw recorded by Vosa ,and what ever the readings are taken by the tester . I am an mot tester hope this helps

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back