Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
My MOT on the motorhome is due on the 25th Jan. As the Moho is in storage and we have no plans to use it until lockdown is lifted I thought I would just leave it till later in the year when lockdown lifts then make an appointment for MOT.
I then thought perhaps I should check with insurance (comfort) if I would be covered should my van be stolen.
Short answer ...... No
So booked in for tomorrow....... whether or not this is classed as an essential journey is anybody’s guess.

RichardandKaren

Free Member
Oct 4, 2017
Leamington Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786F
That's a strange one. I can see why an MOT is key for road risks but it doesn't in any way affect the risk of it being stolen from your drive. I think this may be a case of the broker just telling you a stock answer whereas the actual underwriter might have said that " no, it's not relevant" had the broker bothered to ask them of course.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i took ours for MOT on Monday. it was only 3 miles away dropped and then collected later.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
One important thing is if the van is stolen the insurance will pay the value, they will argue that it's worth a lot less without an MOT. I would keep it legal for the road and have habitation checked as well.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Sounds somewhat unreasonable on Comfort's part for maintaining the van on risk in storage without an MOT (for a very valid reason).

Having said that, I was able to get one of our cars MOT'd in our village last Wednesday - which I understand was entirely within the rules. However, I asked to pay on the telephone when it was ready, in order to literally just collect the keys without hanging around.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The Policy wording may clearly state that the Motor Home MUST be kept in a roadworthy condition
ie MoT is required

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Comfort day stopped for t'week. As Geo stated above.

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
This nudged me to check as MOT due end of the month, comfort policy does say must have an MOT at all times, they sent an email when the MOT extension came out saying it was ok without until the gov changed the rules back.

So time to get MOT booked and then drive to and from on SORN.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Would It would be illegal to drive it on highway when it is sorned you can't even have it on highway while sorned'

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
The Policy wording may clearly state that the Motor Home MUST be kept in a roadworthy condition
ie MoT is required
So anyone insured with Comfort who has sorn'd their MH isn't insured? Not road worthy?

Checked with AIB that mine is covered whilst sorn'd

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Given the circumstances and efforts and sacrifices the general public are making to support unnecessary travel the Insurance companies are being very short sighted.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
So anyone insured with Comfort who has sorn'd their MH isn't insured? Not road worthy?

Checked with AIB that mine is covered whilst sorn'd
Your confusing Sorn woth No MoT there all covered under sorn so long as you have mot

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Given the circumstances and efforts and sacrifices the general public are making to support unnecessary travel the Insurance companies are being very short sighted.
In the same vein, NO extension of MOT dates.

So my car has to MOT'd in a couple of weeks otherwise how do you do click and collect from the supermarket?

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
If the worst happened, the MH was nicked and it was me not you, I would go absolutely ballistic if they tried to squirm out of paying. I would fight them through every court in the land. Would be morally, govt guideline and spiritually wrong FULL STOP 🛑

I think staying home easily top trumps the situation you are in!!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Your confusing Sorn woth No MoT there all covered under sorn so long as you have mot
Check with the insurer but just SORN the vehicle, its not on the road and in storage you won't be expected to have an MOT or TAX.

One of my cars has a SORN no current MOT and the insurance company is quite happy about that. As soon as its back on the road it will have a MOT.

RichardandKaren

Free Member
Oct 4, 2017
Leamington Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786F
I think that most - if not all - policies will actually include the following words ( or something very similar) that the vehicle "has a valid MOT if one is required by law". If you have your vehicle stored away from the public highway then there is no legal requirement for it to have an MOT. However, if you are worried by this then best to contact your broker but do ask them for the insurer's opinion not just theirs ( as that might be the opinion of some 12 yrs old scrote!).

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You too missed the point
Sorn with mot ALL covered
Sorn with no mot some covered
Ask insurer if coverd under sorn ALL WILL SAY YES
Cos you failed to mention MoT expired

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Also check about taking vehicle for MOT if you are shielding. The Government website states you should not and only go when shielding is lifted. If you need MOT for tax they state for you to SORN vehicle. Easy to achieve if it's not you main vehicle but should you be using it if you are shielding?

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Completely and utterly disagree with this advice! The OP doesn’t need the vehicle at the moment and is complying with all laws. Stay home top trumps the MOT of a vehicle not in use!!
Problem is insurance is a contract with terms you have to meet, if you want it to payout should the worst happen.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
sorry No am not.

Sorn is vehicle off the road it does not need an MOT or anything else it's off the road. As long as it is not parked on a public highway or similar. Think you can get specific insurance for stored vehicles guess you'd have to look for it.

To be road worthy a Motor Vehicle must be Taxed, Mot'd and Insured OR be of a certain age to be exempt from being MOT'd, whilst no tax revenue required it still has to be taxed and insured. Even if exempt from MOT it MUST be maintained in a road worthy state.

Happy to be advised otherwise

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
It really is quite simples, SORN the vehicle notify the insurance company. You do not need TAX or MOT on a Vehicle that has SORN and yes book a MOT when you want one you are then legally allowed to drive to to the test station and once the MOT has passed get a TAX disc in the mean time keep paying your insurance (assuming you want insurance whilst SORND)

1) Aviva say:
You're legally required to ensure your vehicle remains insured, otherwise you could be prosecuted and fined up to £5,000. If you plan to keep your vehicle off the road, you can apply for a Statutory Off-Road Notification (SORN) with the DVLA and, once this is complete, you don’t legally need insurance. When you want to use your vehicle again, you’ll need to tax and insure your vehicle to avoid penalties

2) Comfort Say:
Once the registered keeper of the vehicle has made a SORN, whilst there is no longer a legal requirement to insure the vehicle, you can maintain your Comfort Insurance motor policy. In fact, because motorhomes and campervans are highly expensive, with the typical price being in region of £60K-£70K, it is highly recommended that fully comprehensive motorhome insurance cover is maintained at all times, even if the you have no immediate intention of taking your vehicle out on the road. There are several key reasons for this recommendation:

3)RAC Say:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
You too missed the point
Sorn with mot ALL covered
Sorn with no mot some covered
Ask insurer if coverd under sorn ALL WILL SAY YES
Cos you failed to mention MoT expired
I agree with speaking with the Insurance company I have comprehensive cover on the vehicle in my garage (due to its value) No MOT for the east two years or TAX, the insurance company is quite happy with the arrangement particularly as it lowers the risk yet I still pay the same premium so everyones happy (ish)

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Not for travel to and from a pre booked MOT test.
As I understand it, it is legal to drive a vehicle to a pre-booked MOT when it does not have a current MOT, but not legal to do so when it is SORNed. I stand ready to be corrected, as happens often enough.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back