Morrisons LPG - no issues at all (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have an under slung tank so don’t need to open anything to fill up .
Can you explain to me just out of interest how closing the cylinder before filling works please?
It sounds to me that if the cylinder valve is closed then no new LPG can’t get into said cylinder. Is this the case? If it is how does the gas get past the closed valve?
Like I said, to me closing the valve then trying to fill is contrary to how I think a valve works.
The outlet and filler are separate connections in the tank/bottle. It is recommended to turn the regulator off to avoid damage to the regulator as the filling pressure is around 140 psi. Truma regulators have an inlet pressure rating of 230psi so should take it but not worth the risk with regulators costing £200.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I've go a fixed underslung tank but haven't tried to top it up yet. In MFers experience will the attendant help you out to show you how to do it first time?
It’s very easy to fill up. Remove the cap on your fill point, mines a half twist. Pickup the filling nozzle from the pump and ensure the connector that fits to your fill point is turned fully anti clockwise. Slide the filling nozzle over your fill point ensuring the two lugs on you fill point engage into the spaces for them in the filling nozzle. Once these are engaged turn the filling nozzle only (not the squeeze lever bit) fully clockwise to lock the lugs in place. Then squeeze the trigger this creates a gas tight seal. You will then need to press and keep pressed the red button on the pump it sometimes takes quite a while before gas starts to flow so be patient. You’ll know is flowing when the pump starts counting. Hold the button until the pump stops counting. Release the button and then squeeze the trigger to break the gas tight seal. This will result in a small blast of gas, keep your hands behind the protective shield on the trigger. Once this is released the nozzle can be turned anti clockwise to enable it to be removed from your fill point. Replace the pump nozzle and DO NOT FORGET TO REPLACE YOUR FILL POINT CAP.
Hope this helps.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I filled at BP here in Poland yesterday and the LPG is also adjacent to the other pumps, so what is the problem? Seems to me just the same as filling there with petrol or diesel, but quicker. Or one could do LPG and diesel.

Geoff
The BP one I mentioned has the LPG pump right in the middle and not much room in front to the shop, I got stuck once as I parked too close to the pump a problem with the rear overhang.
By comparison the Morrisons pump is still in a row of pumps but it's the end row with loads of space.

The BP
1620465711702.png

The Morrisons
1620465851643.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
We took the camper out today (first time for 4 months!) and it was lovely but hubby is having to 'learn' how to drive it again, get used to the size etc, I'm sure he'll be well versed after our drive to Wales on Sunday though ... anyway back to the point of this thread! :giggle:

We needed fuel and gas so went to Morrisons at Anlaby, E Yorks and filled up both, gas was 57.7p per litre and diesel £1.247 per litre, no issue whatsoever with being allowed to fill the gas and once full hubby went in to pay but was told that they are used to MHs going in and wanting gas and fuel so are happy to wait until they've done both before they pay for them.
exactly the same here in Grays, Essex

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The only criticism I have of the Anlaby Morrisons set-up is that the LPG pump nozzle is on the same 'tower' as the fuel which you would think is great, except its ruddy unleaded! :rolleyes: It means therefore once you've done the LPG you have to move forward to the next pump to do the diesel.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I have an under slung tank so don’t need to open anything to fill up .
Can you explain to me just out of interest how closing the cylinder before filling works please?
It sounds to me that if the cylinder valve is closed then no new LPG can’t get into said cylinder. Is this the case? If it is how does the gas get past the closed valve?
Like I said, to me closing the valve then trying to fill is contrary to how I think a valve works.
I never turned the bulk tank valve off on the Hymer when refilling ours Glenn, as our regulator was on the opposite side of the vehicle to the tank, after an expansion chamber. If the regulator was attached to the tank, I would have turned off the outlet valve before refilling.

With the inherited Gaslow refillables on the Flair, I always turn the cylinder outlet valves off before refilling, as the regulator and Truma Duo changeover kit is right there on top of everything else, and I don't want to risk damaging any of it. :(

Edited.............I wear a pair of black gauntlet type rubber gloves when refuelling with Autogas, having seen the evidence of the skin damage to a fellow Funster, caused by a faulty cut off valve on the LPG pump. :whatthe:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It’s very easy to fill up. Remove the cap on your fill point, mines a half twist. Pickup the filling nozzle from the pump and ensure the connector that fits to your fill point is turned fully anti clockwise. Slide the filling nozzle over your fill point ensuring the two lugs on you fill point engage into the spaces for them in the filling nozzle. Once these are engaged turn the filling nozzle only (not the squeeze lever bit) fully clockwise to lock the lugs in place. Then squeeze the trigger this creates a gas tight seal. You will then need to press and keep pressed the red button on the pump it sometimes takes quite a while before gas starts to flow so be patient. You’ll know is flowing when the pump starts counting. Hold the button until the pump stops counting. Release the button and then squeeze the trigger to break the gas tight seal. This will result in a small blast of gas, keep your hands behind the protective shield on the trigger. Once this is released the nozzle can be turned anti clockwise to enable it to be removed from your fill point. Replace the pump nozzle and DO NOT FORGET TO REPLACE YOUR FILL POINT CAP.
Hope this helps.
The only thing I’d add is that when you squeeze the trigger there will be a little clip to hold it in place , sometimes it’s just a bit of wire. Also I look away just as I release the trigger, I don’t like the gas in my face.
I’ve got a pair of old leather gloves that I wear, belonged to my Mum.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The only thing I’d add is that when you squeeze the trigger there will be a little clip to hold it in place , sometimes it’s just a bit of wire. Also I look away just as I release the trigger, I don’t like the gas in my face.
I’ve got a pair of old leather gloves that I wear, belonged to my Mum.
I always wear a pair of big thick gloves when filling I don't like gas freeze burns, I've only ever found one pump where the clip works.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We struggled at the Morrisons on Holderness road, so moved on to one near B&Q again struggled couldn’t get it to lock on, had a look at our filler not too happy with how it had been done one screw was too long and was fouling the connection, added the extender we sometimes need abroad and bingo. Will give Morrison’s another go as it is cheaper.
Hettie's Crew noticed a Hymer missing from the storage we use, think it might be yours enjoy your time away.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We struggled at the Morrisons on Holderness road, so moved on to one near B&Q again struggled couldn’t get it to lock on, had a look at our filler not too happy with how it had been done one screw was too long and was fouling the connection, added the extender we sometimes need abroad and bingo. Will give Morrison’s another go as it is cheaper.
Hettie's Crew noticed a Hymer missing from the storage we use, think it might be yours enjoy your time away.
Not ours, hope it’s still there, I last saw it at 11.30 this morning while trying sort out the rear camera not working.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I always wear a pair of big thick gloves when filling I don't like gas freeze burns, I've only ever found one pump where the clip works.
If the clip doesn’t work I’d then not be able to reach the button! Fine normally but I’d popped out on my own whilst Nick was playing golf yesterday to get ready for Norden Farm. It would have been doubly annoying as the first pump was being serviced and I had to go to another garage. I’ve never found one without some sort of clip though fortunately.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If the clip doesn’t work I’d then not be able to reach the button! Fine normally but I’d popped out on my own whilst Nick was playing golf yesterday to get ready for Norden Farm. It would have been doubly annoying as the first pump was being serviced and I had to go to another garage. I’ve never found one without some sort of clip though fortunately.
My filler is low down on the sill at a lot of pumps it's a two man job as UK pumps if you let go of the button you have pay and get the cashier to reset the pump. Only appears to be in the UK.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Morrison North Watford today, filled up just over 7L and payed £4.27. That’s how much gas we used since 20th of March, the day when we left Romania, and filled up for the road. lithium and solar replaced the gas consumption. I recon this fill up will take us well into the summer, unless we go to Scandinavia.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Had a problem at the BP on the A64 a couple of weeks ago

pulled up to the pump and got ready to fill when the guy announced Motorhomes my size 9m couldn’t fill and had to go to the services on the other side of the A64. What size has to do with anything I have no idea There wasn’t another car in the station and I have filled up there before

Mar 2, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Im a newbe
We have never had a problem at Morrisons in Littlehampton so keep fingers crossed for future top ups !.

Prospector

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jun 24, 2015
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-Line
Exp
Since 2015
I usually use the Morrisons on Holderness Road and have never had a problem.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I usually use the Morrisons on Holderness Road and have never had a problem.
Son uses it for his car when he visits, it was a fault on our filler 😢 would have taken it up with dealer but fills ok when we use the extension. Was our first time trying to fill with this van.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
We were out for a few days, wanted lpg, stopped at Morrisons in Doncaster, off the M18 no issues, saw a sign for Hull, turned around and went home

Dave did you have enough turning space or did you back out?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I envy all of you with a Morrisons locally that sells LPG, all our newish ones dont have LPG, they seem to have loads more LPG stations up north, but sadly not down here in Surrey. We normally have to go off piste en-route to somewhere, but also find the LPG apps are well out of date in many cases.
LES

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We used to regularly fill up with LPG at our local Morrisons, however the pump was shut down for some time and we were told that they were awaiting parts to mend it. it was out of order for so long that we feared the worse and they would remove it altogether. Last week when filling up the car we noticed that it had been fixed. When we mentioned it to the cashier, she confirmed that it was working but not to fill bottles. As we obviously have bottles but fill via the external connection, does that mean we can no longer use this facility?. We will try away.

We used to regularly use the garage at Powburn (Hedgeley Services) on the A697 for LPG as it is on our route south. The LPG pump was taken out a while back but it appears to be back again :)

I noticed that the owners (Penny Petroleum) have other forecourts so have emailed them in the hope they will provide a list of all the outlets that have LPG. If they oblige I will post in the resources section and open a new discussion.
I imagine they don't want people trying to fill 'free standing' bottles, eg standing them on the forecourt, in the back of cars etc, not those which are fixed into vehicles so I wouldn't worry about it, just ensure that you turn off the bottles before going in so you don't have to open the gas locker.

That's what I thought as well. I've never been refused a fill as we have an exterior filler.

I've go a fixed underslung tank but haven't tried to top it up yet. In MFers experience will the attendant help you out to show you how to do it first time?

If they are not busy they will come out and help if necessary. Once in Wales we pulled in to the LPG pump and a young man came running out - I started to think he would say "no" but he filled the tank for us and then very shyly asked if he could have a look inside as he was planning a self build and wanted ideas :)

Also for sometimes you need to go into the office to ask them to switch the LPG pump on.

LPG will be around for quite some time as quite a few houses in rural areas have LPG central heating or cooking - as do static caravans. One of our local oil companies has an LPG pump. I haven't used it but know people who have.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Was at the St Ives Cambs Morrison LPG point today for the first time in 3 weeks. There is a new a4 sign stating that filling is only allowed to fixed containers.

fullfat

Free Member
Nov 27, 2017
The North
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Im 8.5 on a tagg and would need to be on the inside as my filler is on the passenger side...Im not sure on the turn..
Think the spaces behind the pump would need to be clear, then you could reverse to straighten up

Dec 9, 2020
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Since Nov 2020
Regarding isolating the gas for the habitation. Isn’t this supposed to be isolated before taking the vehicle on the road anyway? I’m new to this, but at handover the sales chap said the law is that it has to be turned off when on the road.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back