Morocco in Motorhome for 90 days (1 Viewer)

Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
Nice place, Nice people, Fantastic scenery, and soon to be a ferry straight to Morocco,
A serious contender for winter sun. I loved it.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Hi all,
Looking for some advice here.... we are thinking about 90 days in Spain and Portugal later this year followed by 90 days in a non schengen country (suggest Morocco) then back to Spain France and Italy for the next 90 days. Never been to Morocco, looking for advice please.
Hi all,
Looking for some advice here.... we are thinking about 90 days in Spain and Portugal later this year followed by 90 days in a non schengen country (suggest Morocco) then back to Spain France and Italy for the next 90 days. Never been to Morocco, looking for advice please.
Morocco is a fabulous country with fabulous people, but go with an open mind and equally an open wallet, the people there are unbelievably poor, but they expect nothing from you but are extremely grateful for anything they’re given, think of being overjoyed at being given a pair of well worn Crocs, and you get some idea of their life a lot of them have virtually nothing other than what they stand in, are are always extremely helpful if you’ve got a problem, we have been to Morocco quite a few times and we wild camped almost all of it, not for the cost but for the beauty of where we camped, however sites are not expensive at around £10 per night with ehu. Give it a go you’ll love it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Hi all,
Oh and make sure you stock up discreetly in Spain with alcohol, very limited outlets in Morocco, the large supermarket chain of Margane, sell alcohol but beers is expensive Asia the wine and as for spirits only if your loaded.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Are you sure?

Not quite, once you have been in Spain or Portugal for 90days (The Schengen zone) you have to spend the next 90days out of it, so 90 days Spain/Portugal Morocco 90days, then back to Spain.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Oh and make sure you stock up discreetly in Spain with alcohol, very limited outlets in Morocco, the large supermarket chain of Margane, sell alcohol but beers is expensive Asia the wine and as for spirits only if your loaded.
It's Carrefour that sells alcohol, the King would not be amused if they were selling it in the Marjane supermarket.

Dec 30, 2019
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
Read somewhere that its actually 89 days as your first day is lost in the UK, If French border force stamp you passport before you cross channel then clock is ticking (do we still have French border force at calais/ashford ??)

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
We do still have French Passport Control officers at Eurotunnel certainly at Folkestone. I cannot comment on other exit and entry points.
If you want to work out how long you can travel in Europe or any other countries covered by the Schengen zone (as against Morocco) then this calculator provides an easy way of planning your trips in advance, and ensuring that you do not exceed the normal 90 days in 180 days (rolling window).

If you want to know what countries are in or shortly to join the Schengen Area see:

Citizens of many countries, including the UK are granted a Visa waiver, which means you do not have to actually go through the rigamarole of applying for a Visa short term visits to Schengen Area member countries. However:-

"Importantly, it does not matter if you have entered Schengen territory on a Schengen Visa, or if you are the national of a country, to which a visa waiver has been applied. You are not allowed to overstay the 90 days amount of permitted stay per 180 days, even if you belong to one of the latter. It does not also matter if you are overstaying a Schengen tourist visa or you are overstaying a student visa."

The 90 day allowance starts when you cross the border of a Schengen Area country and ends when you leave the Schengen area through the same or a different country's border. It is therefore very important to get your passport stamped on ENTRY and on EXIT. If you don't get the EXIT stamp and the database updated then the system, which is shared across the zone, does not know that you have left the zone, and therefore the clock will keep ticking.

And if you do overstay knowingly or otherwise then you will will have difficulties when you next try and re-enter the zone, face a fine, or a ban from entry. These penalties are set at the country level.

Therefore if travelling to Morocco by van from the UK overland it is important to a) Get an ENTRY stamp in your passports when entering France (assuming that is your first entry point), b) Get an EXIT stamp when leaving Spain c) When re-entering the Schengen Area after your stay in Morocco getting an ENTRY stamp at the Spanish border and d) When leaving France for the UK getting the EXIT stamp.

Should Morocco ever become part of Schengen then you won't need to worry about b) or c). However your time in Morocco will count towards the 90 day limit. NB Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia, and Cyprus are are seeking to join Schengen although the accession dates are undecided as far as I know.

Nov 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Imminent buyer!
I read that leaving Spain on the day for Morocco, counts as a full day in both countries on the stamps. Therefore to stay in Morocco for the required 90 days you will be returning to Spain in just 89 days so not fulfilling the 90 day rule. Apparently overstaying a day or two in Morrocco for the first time, you are just fined a nominal amount and warned about it, not sure if it is stamped in your passport as an overstayer (more research to be done on that!) Apparently I read Morocco has a payment scale on days overstayed that rises quickly the more days that are overstayed with possible further action the longer it is. This is of course second hand knowledge. I also read there is a legal way to get an extension in Morocco but it sounded quite complex and involved days of running here, there and everywhere for form filling and official interviews plus of course the handing over of payments.
I need to do much more research as I'm hoping to go in 2022. For me though I would only have used up approximately half of my Shenzhen allowance so I can leave Morocco on the 90th day or before.

rattay

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I read that leaving Spain on the day for Morocco, counts as a full day in both countries on the stamps. Therefore to stay in Morocco for the required 90 days you will be returning to Spain in just 89 days so not fulfilling the 90 day rule. Apparently overstaying a day or two in Morrocco for the first time, you are just fined a nominal amount and warned about it, not sure if it is stamped in your passport as an overstayer (more research to be done on that!) Apparently I read Morocco has a payment scale on days overstayed that rises quickly the more days that are overstayed with possible further action the longer it is. This is of course second hand knowledge. I also read there is a legal way to get an extension in Morocco but it sounded quite complex and involved days of running here, there and everywhere for form filling and official interviews plus of course the handing over of payments.
I need to do much more research as I'm hoping to go in 2022. For me though I would only have used up approximately half of my Shenzhen allowance so I can leave Morocco on the 90th day or before.

rattay

At last, someone has grasped the complications.

I've been trying, on other forums, not here, to explain, but very few can (or rather don't want to) understand.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
At last, someone has grasped the complications.

I've been trying, on other forums, not here, to explain, but very few can (or rather don't want to) understand.
Surely the safest thing to do would be to leave on day 88. A day or two short of 90 isn't going to ruin ones holiday.

Nov 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Imminent buyer!
Surely the safest thing to do would be to leave on day 88. A day or two short of 90 isn't going to ruin ones holiday.
I will be doing as you say but the information was for those that need to spend 90 days out of the Shenzhen zone!

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We can all plan for Morrocco in 2022, but if we can’t get a ferry and can’t get insurance, then let’s all plan for 2023 , inshallah .

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I will be doing as you say but the information was for those that need to spend 90 days out of the Shenzhen zone!
I don't think I would be welcome in the Shenzen zone :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

On a sensible note I think it would be a bit foolish to push it that close to the wire and would many of us want to be in Morocco in the full summer, so you could alternate using Morocco or Turkey in the winter and Croatia, Rumania, Bulgaria etc in the summer.

Yes it is a bit inconvenient but for us its really about whats best for our country and family rather than making our retirement plans a bit easier.

Nov 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Imminent buyer!
On a sensible note I think it would be a bit foolish to push it that close to the wire and would many of us want to be in Morocco in the full summer, so you could alternate using Morocco or Turkey in the winter and Croatia, Rumania, Bulgaria etc in the summer.

Yes it is a bit inconvenient but for us its really about whats best for our country and family rather than making our retirement plans a bit easier.
My post was for information for people who did want to spend 90 days in Morocco on this Moroccan thread.

90 days in France and Spain, 90 days if possible in Morocco or the possibilities to extend the extra day to make 90 days up, and 90 days back to Spain and France with the last 90 days of late Summer back in the UK. I was pointing out the potential difficulties of the 90 days needed in Morocco, and don't really know where the personal patriotism or other reasons come into it?

rattay

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
My post was for information for people who did want to spend 90 days in Morocco on this Moroccan thread.

90 days in France and Spain, 90 days if possible in Morocco or the possibilities to extend the extra day to make 90 days up, and 90 days back to Spain and France with the last 90 days of late Summer back in the UK. I was pointing out the potential difficulties of the 90 days needed in Morocco, and don't really know where the personal patriotism or other reasons come into it?

rattay
I wasnt intending to take away from your post but as someone whose done it several times - although not since the 90/180 started to be enforced - I wanted to clarify what is more likely to happen. But just to add that We ve encountered people who have spent far longer in Morocco by applying to the local police, its apparently pretty common practice amongst the windsurfers ( who can never get enough) around Tan Tan

Nov 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Imminent buyer!
Yes I understand you wasn't taking away anything from my post and whether you were or not is irrelevant and nothing to be in the slightest bothered about.

I was simply stating my second hand knowledge on the 90 day rule and how it could prove problematic if using Morocco for the full 90 days Schenzhen rules.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
I don't think I would be welcome in the Shenzen zone :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

What is best god our country in your opinion. Funny how pro brexit sentiments are permitted but those critical are invariably sent to Coventry.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back