Morocco 2020 (5 Viewers)

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We went for 11 weeks this year and not being FLts we hardly used any gas at all, staying on the very many cheap sites that are found all over and using electric cooking and heating.

There were problems for many with voltage drops messing with the fridges but as ours is an old banger we had no problems with it .

We have an underslung tank and think it would be difficult to get it filled.

The Maroc Telecom signal was fantastically good.( Unlike in Germany where we are now ) and WiFi was common on the campsites

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
So, sounds like I could take a spare bottle and attach it to my filler point - has anyone else tried this with an underslung tank - shouldn't be any different from Maslow should it?

As long as you ve got a decent sized tank if you fill it at Los barrios before you go ever it should last, don't forget its warm over there, we only got though about 40 litres in 2 months of mostly of ehu and a lot of cooking, although we do supplement the cooking with a moroccan bottle with a spin on top.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We went for 11 weeks this year and not being FLts we hardly used any gas at all, staying on the very many cheap sites that are found all over and using electric cooking and heating.

There were problems for many with voltage drops messing with the fridges but as ours is an old banger we had no problems with it .

The Maroc Telecom signal was fantastically good.( Unlike in Germany where we are now ) and WiFi was common on the campsites
Aes fridges really don't like low voltages, we mostly avoid plugging in there

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No

Eight weeks not eleven!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
This year we saw a lot of French motorhomes with the 240v transformer sitting quietly under their vans - sure I saw a link fairly recently about a unit being available in the UK.

Our fridge cuts out below 200v, it assumes a power failure of some kind, and auto switches to gas. But in any case we rarely use hookup in Morocco, and we couldn't use it anyway for the fridge as the mains element failed on our way south and I couldn't get a replacement. We survived okay on gas - see earlier post.

The only time we ever failed to make a connection on Maroc Telecom was on the beach site at Sidi Ifni when the cliffs hid the masts from us - those on the front row were okay though. Even high in the mountains and in the desert there was always a good signal. Camp site wifi was the same as everywhere else, sometimes good, often iffy.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
But what are you going to do then? IMO you should make some provision, even if it's only buy the hose and Camping Gaz adapter.
Sorry but to me four weeks isn't worth the cost of getting there, if that's all you're planning. But if that's all the time you have........
Probably going to have a few weeks in Spain first. If I think we will spend more than 4 weeks in Morocco then will do as you say.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
As long as you ve got a decent sized tank if you fill it at Los barrios before you go ever it should last, don't forget its warm over there, we only got though about 40 litres in 2 months of mostly of ehu and a lot of cooking, although we do supplement the cooking with a moroccan bottle with a spin on top.
We have 90 litres underslung so sounds like we will be in good shape

May 16, 2019
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Caravan Owner
Exp
Caravan since 1984
Don’t know whether this helps or not. We are caravanners not motorhomers. We spent just under 4 weeks in Morocco last year in November/December and are going back for a couple of months at the end of next January. We got as far as Tan Tan Plage. We always had EHU and a hot shower ( even in the most basic basic campsites) and ‘borrowed’ a full 11 kg gas bottle from a Spanish campsite which lasted us through Morocco and subsequent Christmas and New Year with our family in Spain. We used the gas, mainly for cooking ( we ate in a lot!), and when I handed the bottle back, I had probably only used about a quarter of the bottle.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
How many litres of ‘black’ will you carry? There are not many ablution stations in Maroc like those in Boroughbridge. (y)
Around 120 litres - one solution is to carry a wheeled waste tank ad empty into that and wheel it off to get rid of it.

Ona previous visit to Morocco I accidentally emptied my cassette in what turned out to be a shower tray not a toilet dump! There was a very nice toilet/shower attendant who thankfully was more than pleased to accept Dhirams to clean p my terrible mess.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Having read previous posts about attaching a Morrocian gas bottle to our Gaslow system I've asked Gasit which hose I might need to use. They quickly replied as below...
Right so you will need a Gas reserve hose system but it all depends on which fitting will be on the Local gas bottle.

These are the hoses that you might need:

So the first link has a POL male thread on it and the second link has a female butane nut on it.

If you have done the same thing before please can you let me know which fitting / hose I will need.

Thanks Martin

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It's the second one, with the female connector. The female end screws directly onto a Calor bottle or, as you need, a big Moroccan bottle. The other end screws into your refill point.

I actually use the Gaslow hose, the 1m rubber one is somewhat cheaper than the Gasit offering and IMO perfectly acceptable. As with all hoses you need to inspect it regularly for damage etc.
However there is one foible - the ends are both fixed so you have to "start" the thread in each end at the same time as one is left-hand and the other is right-hand, so that the whole hose twists as you are tightening it. It's no big deal.

You can also buy a Camping Gaz adapter from Gaslow which fits on the bottle end of the same hose. This fits the small gas bottles (907 lookalike) available everywhere in Morocco for peanuts. I buy one for backup and also have a screw-on gas ring for cooking outside, which again can be bought for around £2 everywhere. If you've a problem storing/transporting the big bottles they could be a better option. But I would encourage you to fit an in-line filter before the regulator if you do.

Just a final tip - try and buy Africagas bottles as they are used more widespread than some others.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Having read previous posts about attaching a Morrocian gas bottle to our Gaslow system I've asked Gasit which hose I might need to use. They quickly replied as below...
Right so you will need a Gas reserve hose system but it all depends on which fitting will be on the Local gas bottle.

These are the hoses that you might need:

So the first link has a POL male thread on it and the second link has a female butane nut on it.

If you have done the same thing before please can you let me know which fitting / hose I will need.

Thanks Martin
Have a look at #70 & #75 of this thread.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
So, sounds like I could take a spare bottle and attach it to my filler point - has anyone else tried this with an underslung tank - shouldn't be any different from Maslow should it?
The only safe way to do it is with a regulator on the bottle then a hose to a BBQ connection point. We did this on the advice of Autogas 2000 when we had tank problems in Spain. It works fine and I guess you should have no problems buy a bottle and regulator in Morocco if required.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
The only safe way to do it is with a regulator on the bottle then a hose to a BBQ connection point. We did this on the advice of Autogas 2000 when we had tank problems in Spain. It works fine and I guess you should have no problems buy a bottle and regulator in Morocco if required.
Connecting to the bbq is not the only safe way to do it.
Gaslow do a purpise made hose for connecting fill point to gas bottle.
Connector fits Moroccan bottle exactly.
I have read that connecting to bbq not the best idea.

• Thanks
Reactions: DBK

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Screenshot_20180809-164052_Facebook.jpg
Mr Mousy this will exactly fit a Moroccan bottle. Just ensure you favd a big enough spanner to fit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191031-074229_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20191031-074229_Maps.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 25

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Connecting to the bbq is not the only safe way to do it.
Gaslow do a purpise made hose for connecting fill point to gas bottle.
Connector fits Moroccan bottle exactly.
I have read that connecting to bbq not the best idea.
Thanks, I was referring to underslung tank systems where that Gaslow pipe couldn't be used. :)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp

Not sure I understand why using the Gaslow Reserve Connection Hose should not be safe. Admittedly if you follow the instructions in that it should only be connected to an empty bottle then an underslung tank as the sole supply could be problematical, but otherwise I don't see a difference. As I have posted before I just connected up despite the bottle not being empty and had no problems. The only thing I can think of is that you're then trying to push gas into a liquid under pressure - maybe there's potential trouble with that?

Personally I see more possibleproblems e.g. substandard connections, in using the BBQ point method. But I'm open to other opinions.

Thanks, I was referring to underslung tank systems where that Gaslow pipe couldn't be used. :)

Please enlighten me - why couldn't the hose be used on an underslung tank? It connects to the fill point, not the tank.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Please enlighten me - why couldn't the hose be used on an underslung tank? It connects to the fill point, not the tank.

Access virtually impossible on ours, the layout is completely different to a system using bottles in a locker. It might be possible if you put the MH over a pit but this isn't something I would do on a trip when the BBQ method is such an easy alternative.

Not the best photo but the filler point is the black dot below the driver's door handle and above the red warning sign. You would need to get to the other side of this.

LRM_EXPORT_490367954135_20191003_205705258.jpeg

Last edited:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
The fill point is the fill point. You connect one end of hose to fill point and other to gad bottle. It goes through your Van's regulator. It is what this house is designed for. Dont see a problem?
If anything, using bbq not great idea as gas is designed to flow out of bbq point, not into it.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Today I switched from Comfort to Saga.
Saga was £140 more for similar cover but will give me a fully comprehensive green card for Morocco free of charge
It is on their 3 year fixed deal but you can cancel after one or two years at no cost.

Comfort wanted £53.60 for the first week green card and £33.60 subsequent weeks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back