Moroccan rabies vaccination (1 Viewer)

Did you have a rabies vaccination when visiting Morocco?

• YES

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • NO

Votes: 19 76.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
For those who visited Morocco in recent years, did you have a rabies vaccination or didn't you.

Not interested in reasons why either way, just whether you did or not.

Reactions: DBK
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Had a meal in a Moroccan restaurant in Mazarrón today and I did not have one.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
No we haven't, but our dog has just had her rabies booster. We just had hepatitis, tetanus and polio jabs.

Just read that Rabies jabs for humans cost £165, from Superdrug. However there is a warning, you will end up licking your own a8se.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I was attacked by 2 Alsations in Morocco last year. The enclosed photos show the damage caused to my leg. The scar was the result of an operation to reattach my Quadraceps tendon to my kneecap.

Both dogs had recent certificates, certifying rabbies free. Nevertheless with in 2 hours I was vaccinated against the disease.

Inspite of the experience we have booked the ferry and are going back in January.

Attachments

• 34B00A70-B5D3-4A56-9A1C-A20B93DF7E15.jpeg
    34B00A70-B5D3-4A56-9A1C-A20B93DF7E15.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 8A1C8F92-BE95-41D3-942F-0A8333373204.jpeg
    8A1C8F92-BE95-41D3-942F-0A8333373204.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 8C480273-3CB3-443A-8E0F-B16E8951E9E8.jpeg
    8C480273-3CB3-443A-8E0F-B16E8951E9E8.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
For those who haven't seen the news a tourist has just died from rabies caught from a cat bite in Morocco. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46180330
Yes, that's why I posted this poll, to see the proportions of those who do and don't vaccinate.
It appears at first glance nobody bothers.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes, that's why I posted this poll, to see the proportions of those who do and don't vaccinate.
It used to be a very painful injection, into the stomach I seem to recall and needed to be repeated a few times. Probably a bit easier now.
But I guess statistically the risk is low otherwise visitors would be advised to get vaccinated before travelling.

The official advice is on this page: (which does seem to suggest vaccination is worth considering especially if you are going to be away from good medical support as rapid treatment after being bitten is essential)

https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/154/morocco#Vaccine_recommendations

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I was attacked by 2 Alsations in Morocco last year. The enclosed photos show the damage caused to my leg. The scar was the result of an operation to reattach my Quadraceps tendon to my kneecap.

Both dogs had recent certificates, certifying rabbies free. Nevertheless with in 2 hours I was vaccinated against the disease.

Inspite of the experience we have booked the ferry and are going back in January.

Wow that must have been serious dog attack, hope you're all OK now. Good to know that they dished out the vaccine that quickly, maybe also shows why less people would take it proactively, especially if it's not a nice one.

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Wow that must have been serious dog attack, hope you're all OK now. Good to know that they dished out the vaccine that quickly, maybe also shows why less people would take it proactively, especially if it's not a nice one.

It could have been a lot worse, I genuinely feel quite lucky.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
When I worked over seas I had the rabies vacsen over a for week period I had for injections in to my upper arm
Bill

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
When I worked over seas I had the rabies vacsen over a for week period I had for injections in to my upper arm
Bill

Much the same for me. I had 2 injections the first day a third one the next day and a fourth one 7 days later, all in the upper part of my arm.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The rabies vaccination does not ( I am told) pervent Rabies, what it does is give you more time to have a the neccessary course of treatment once the Blood tests confirm the presence of the disease in the blood.

I was bitten, some years ago, by a dog in The USA. It was 12 days of waiting before the dog was confirmed as being rabies free. (y) In the meantime I was sh***ing myself as I had not had the Vaccination. The Doctors told me that getting the vaccination at that point would be inefective. And all they could offer was the full hospitalisation and treatment IF it was confirmed that the dog had been Rabid!.:cry:

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We had vaccinations as part of the insurance requirements when we went on an organised trek in Morocco. Some were done in Spain and the rest in the UK.

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
We had vaccinations as part of the insurance requirements when we went on an organised trek in Morocco. Some were done in Spain and the rest in the UK.
That’s interesting, the fact that you had some injections done in Spain . After my third injection I had to wait 7 days for the next one so thought it would be a good idea to start travelling back towards home thinking I would have my next one in Spain. Went on the internet,couldn’t find anywhere where I could guarantee to get an injection on time.

We decided to stay put because it was critical that I got that injection on time, and Morocco is well geared up with the vaccine.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The rabies vaccination does not ( I am told) pervent Rabies, what it does is give you more time to have a the neccessary course of treatment once the Blood tests confirm the presence of the disease in the blood.

I was bitten, some years ago, by a dog in The USA. It was 12 days of waiting before the dog was confirmed as being rabies free. (y) In the meantime I was sh***ing myself as I had not had the Vaccination. The Doctors told me that getting the vaccination at that point would be inefective. And all they could offer was the full hospitalisation and treatment IF it was confirmed that the dog had been Rabid!.:cry:
Rabies is one of the few diseases where vaccination after infection works but the vaccine has to be given quickly although the site of the infection is also a factor. The virus attacks the brain so if you are bitten on the face or neck it will reach the brain faster than if you are bitten or scratched or even just licked on a hand or foot. I'm guessing in your case the doctors felt the passage of time was too long. It must have been a scary time. :(

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
No we haven't, but our dog has just had her rabies booster. We just had hepatitis, tetanus and polio jabs.

Just read that Rabies jabs for humans cost £165, from Superdrug. However there is a warning, you will end up licking your own a8se.
See other post, Ours were FREE on the NHS why use a private source or have things changed ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/rabies/vaccination/

Where to get the rabies vaccine

You may be able to get the rabies vaccination at your local GP surgery, but you may need to pay for it.

Alternatively, you can pay for the vaccine at a private travel vaccination clinic.

Will I have to pay for the rabies vaccine?
You'll usually have to pay for the rabies vaccine if you need it for protection while travelling.

The vaccine course involves 3 doses. Each dose usually costs around £40 to £60, with a full course typically costing around £120 to £180.

If you need the vaccine because there's a risk you could be exposed to the infection through your job, your employer should be able to provide it for you free of charge. Ask your employer or occupational health provider about this.

EDIT..

Just looked it up ..

Charges at our surgery

Rabies jabs (3) including dispensing fee*. £225.00

*Payment due before any vaccination

More Information ..

Morocco
Immunisations
  • Confirm primary courses and boosters are up to date as recommended for life in Britain - including for example, (if indicated), MMR, vaccines required for occupational risk of exposure, lifestyle risks and underlying medical conditions.
  • Courses or boosters usually advised: Hepatitis A; Tetanus.
  • Other vaccines to consider: Hepatitis B; Rabies; Typhoid.
  • Selectively advised vaccines - only for those individuals at highest risk: none.
  • No yellow fever vaccination certificate required for this country.

https://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/africa/morocco

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
@pappajohn are you able to make the poll results visible without voting? I can't see what the results are without voting :unsure: and since I haven't been to Morocco if I voted it would skew the results.

Or are the results visible to everyone after the poll has closed on the 19th?

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012

That's great news!!
I have spent years trying to get so supple. One rabies jab could have saved years of flexibility exercises :LOL:

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just been for our Vaccine review for Morocco today . only needed the Typhoid as ours had run out .

We asked about the Rabies jab , they said that the Doctors / Health Guidelines say you don't need it , BUT , if you want it go to the Holiday clinics at Asda , Tesco you will need 3 separate jabs at a cost of ...£150 owwww much .

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
On the campsite at Kinitra. They were guard dogs that weren’t chained up.
The owner of the site provided us with a car and driver paid for the all medical treatment ie X-ray the injections. The vet came to the site and checked the dogs again even though the certificates had been issued less than 3 months earlier.
A few people have said, so he should have but it was done willingly and without any hassle and under the circumstances that was worth a lot.

I agree it was just bad luck, wrong place wrong time.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It used to be a very painful injection, into the stomach I seem to recall and needed to be repeated a few times. Probably a bit easier now.
But I guess statistically the risk is low otherwise visitors would be advised to get vaccinated before travelling.

The official advice is on this page: (which does seem to suggest vaccination is worth considering especially if you are going to be away from good medical support as rapid treatment after being bitten is essential)

https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/154/morocco#Vaccine_recommendations
I think that was the rabies treatment, not the vaccination.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
@pappajohn are you able to make the poll results visible without voting? I can't see what the results are without voting :unsure: and since I haven't been to Morocco if I voted it would skew the results.

Or are the results visible to everyone after the poll has closed on the 19th?
I realised I made a mistake with that but don't know how to correct it

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I don’t disagree with your comments and although we are going back to Morocco in January, we will be giving Kinitra a miss

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The vaccine they give now is supposed to protect you but they recommend you get a booster withing 7 days of being bitten.

UK is one of the few countries in Europe that is rabies free, we had our jabs a few years ago when we went to India. I think the jabs last 10 years, now we travel a lot in Europe and visit our daughter in Thailand so will probably renew them when they are due.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Nobody bothers you say, do you have any idea how many animals pets and livestock would be slaughtered if just one of you brought this horrendous disease back to the UK with you. Just a tad selfish do you think @pappajohn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back