Morelo TV's (1 Viewer)

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
This may sound like a stupid question but....

Is there any reason why I can switch my two German TV's for nice Samsung or LG 4K versions?

I expect you say that its because they are 12v versions but I always have 240v available so why not?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
In my Yank I have a 48" in the lounge, 40" in the bedroom and a 40" in a bespoke locker outside (Thought that this one would be naff and I'd be too embarrassed to use it but its great for sports events)

All smart in their own right, but HMDI linked to a HDMI distribution unit with Humax 1TB box, NowTV stick, Amazon Firestick and Google Chrome. All linked to the internal surround sound system, Sony sound bar and external waterproof speaker system, so no, absolutely no reason to compromise at all!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
In my Yank I have a 48" in the lounge, 40" in the bedroom and a 40" in a bespoke locker outside (Thought that this one would be naff and I'd be too embarrassed to use it but its great for sports events)

All smart in their own right, but HMDI linked to a HDMI distribution unit with Humax 1TB box, NowTV stick, Amazon Firestick and Google Chrome. All linked to the internal surround sound system, Sony sound bar and external waterproof speaker system, so no, absolutely no reason to compromise at all!

Blimey, that sounds like a great set-up!

Thanks, Eddie. Raises some interesting points too. Like, why do you have the NowTV, Amazon Fire and Google Chrome devices? Surely, basically, they all do the same job no?

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Makes my plan for a PC monitor and a Firestick streaming Plex from home look pretty lame Eddie!

So I'm running Plex at home too but have no idea how to serve it up to the Morelo.

Would that require a VPN from home to the MH Michael?

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
No reason, I've never been very impressed with the AlphtronicTV's the Germans fit in all their vans.

Could it be the firmware installed in the TV to link with the Oyster satellite TV system tuning section maybe?

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Makes my plan for a PC monitor and a Firestick streaming Plex from home look pretty lame Eddie!

If you're thinking like that Michael, maybe you should get the factory to flood-wire your Morelo with CAT6 cabling as it's so much easier to do during the build than later; having a neat little ethernet outlet in multiple areas of the MH would be a great asset or better still, design it around your floor plan yourself now and have them install it for you (with all cables going back to a single 16 port ethernet POE switch in a locker somewhere).

I know most people would say "why do that when everything is wireless these days" but I like cables as they don't suffer the issues that wireless can do (like frequency congestion, drop-outs) etc.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Blimey, that sounds like a great set-up!

Thanks, Eddie. Raises some interesting points too. Like, why do you have the NowTV, Amazon Fire and Google Chrome devices? Surely, basically, they all do the same job no?
Now TV for Sky Sports (Rugby (y)) Amazon for Grand Tour and I tend to buy/download movies via Amazon Prime and Google Chrome so that I can cast my Samsung phone to all three TV's simultaneously.

The lounge TV can either play to a Sony sound bar or the internal or external sound systems, this is not for volume, quite the contrary. We took delivery at the end of July and didn't use it to the end of August, we had a great BBQ with some close friends, the girls wanted the "Greatest Showman" on (so did the boys truthfully :whistle:) so the alpha males crowded around the BBQ (because we were allowed to ;)) with the girls watched Zac and Hugh strut their stuff, but, when anyone went into the van, they didn't miss any of the action.

Some will consider it a waste of time, I don't and also I don't really care as I could compromise but don't want to, I have a good system setup through all parts of the house, so why should I compromise when I go camping! after all I could buy a tent and really get back to basics (if I didn't want my wife to ever join me again)

Lets be honest some luddites think that inverters and Lithium is some type of arcane art! So TV in a camper? shocking lol

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I'd stick with 12v. What happens when the 240 electric goes down?
Has happened to me on aires and campsites.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Pretty much everything in the van is 220 VAC so relies on the inverter/charger, and with the setup we have we often don't bother plugging in depending on how long we stay.

In the Spring Summer we are self sufficient and in the Autumn and Winter, truthfully I would go to a site that didn't have decent facilities which normally equates to hook up as well

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
So I'm running Plex at home too but have no idea how to serve it up to the Morelo.

Would that require a VPN from home to the MH Michael?
As it happens I have a static IP on the FTTP to the house, and the Plex server both local IP and roaming IP through forwarding ports. Because I have a static IP I am not sure if Plex operates its own DDNS as I have had no need to test it. As to serving it in the Morelo you just need a device running the Plex client, for example, a laptop, a phone or as I will use a Firestick which has a Plex client. I will be plugging the Firestick into the HDMI port of the monitor and it will wifi to my router, which has both cellular and hotspot wifi access. Actually pretty simple, just waiting for the monitor today. I know you have a Pointing all singing combo unit so it should not be an issue for you. I prefer a lego brick approach, with inherent redundancy. So I have a small TP router and a new Netgear Nighthawk M1, and an Ubiquiti Bullet. The nighthawk has a LTE MIMO dual antenna on the roof with motorised lifting mount and the bullet a 8db omni antenna up there too on another motorised mount. The two internet access sources are switched to the WAN port on the router with a manual R45 transfer switch so it is a manual selection not a software one.
I have got Morelo running 3 CAT 6 cables front to back but will use WiFi from the router predominately.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
F**K off big inverter with matching battery bank solves that! But my router and MIFI are all 12 volt. I think the TV is 12vdc from a brick but will know for sure when it arrives!!!:cool:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Not had one myself just not thought much of them when I have seen them in friends vans, especially for the price they are.
Oyster? Soooo old school who has satellite TV nowadays ;)

Joking aside I did debate whether I bothered fitting Satellite TV on the new van, in the end decided that it was probably one van too soon to give it up completely

Having said that I used it once whilst away for New Year as I watched everything on demand as and when we wanted to, so in hindsight, so far it has been a waste of time

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

Joking aside I did debate whether I bothered fitting Satellite TV on the new van, in the end decided that it was probably one van too soon to give it up completely

Having said that I used it once whilst away for New Year as I watched everything on demand as and when we wanted to, so in hindsight, so far it has been a waste of time
So I may be on the right track cancelling my Satellite.;)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

I think you quoted the wrong post Eddie I was refering to the TV. :)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
So I may be on the right track cancelling my Satellite.;)
truthfully? Possibly. I genuinely did chat with my wife, and with the guys in the office and as I said in my last post, decide that as of September 2018 it would on balance "probably" still needed, but, my pattern tends to be to change the camper every four'ish years and I really struggle to think that we will be installing a satellite system on Ed's 2021 motorhome

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
What happens when the 240 electric goes down?

What happens? Er, we talk to each other or read a book/kindle.

I have lithium cells with amazing capacity through the inverter and can honestly say I've had few issues. I also have a dual fuel generator if I'm far enough away from other people to feel it's fair to use, so 'not a problem' I suppose is the more accurate answer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
[QUOTE=" Lets be honest some luddites think that inverters and Lithium is some type of arcane art! So TV in a camper? shocking lol[/QUOTE]

Loving that reply :ROFLMAO:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
What happens? Er, we talk to each other or read a book/kindle.

I have lithium cells with amazing capacity through the inverter and can honestly say I've had no issues. I also have a dual fuel generator if I'm far enough away from other people to feel it's fair to use, so 'not a problem' I suppose is the more accurate answer.
That is a very good point, although many of us have some amazing technology, it is only there so it works, how we want it, when we want it. When on our own we spend more time playing Backgammon, Cards or Rummikub

All of which requires a partner, not power lol

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
[QUOTE=" Lets be honest some luddites think that inverters and Lithium is some type of arcane art! So TV in a camper? shocking lol

Loving that reply :ROFLMAO:[/QUOTE]
I shall be at the mercy of many at the NEC next month. You will be amazed how many people will make a beeline to the Van Bitz stand to tell me what I don't need and why I am an idiot for having:- (Delete as applicable)
Sat Nav
Satellite TV
Inverter
Lithium Batteries
Generator
Solar Panels
Tracking
Motorhome alarm
Reversing camera
Side view cameras
Slide outs
Leveling jacks

My colleagues do try to shield me a bit and deflect a large number of pointless arguments by clocking the attire and manner, typically Gravy dribbles down the front of their Hofmeister sweat shirt, gravy dribbles despite it being only 10am, so not a fresh stain, having a pungent whiff of "damp" with a souciant of body odour about them, and normally their opening gambit is, "Right which one of you lot is Eddie" as their tongue wrestles with the errant false teeth that presumably once fitted superbly, just not the current user!

Oh we run the gauntlet to offer toys! we really do!

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Just connected up my new Lenovo 22inch monitor to the Firestick, connected to all the test WiFi mifi for the new van, and wow the Firestick is just what I needed. Downloaded the Plex client and signed in to all the streaming accounts and it is ideal, all for £200. Just need a Vesa 100 locking swivel mount.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I've had an Alphatronic. Swapped for Avtex. Programme guide better.
Surely more efficient to have 12v tv, rather than run 240v through invertor??

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I've had an Alphatronic. Swapped for Avtex. Programme guide better.
Surely more efficient to have 12v tv, rather than run 240v through invertor??
If they did 48" smart TV's in 12 VDV i
I'd be the first in the queue (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back