Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks Liz, you're a star.

.....but you're right about the journey being the pleasurable bit. Can you imagine crusing the canals at two or three miles an hour with a cuppa in hand and the fresh breeze in your hair.

Sounds good to me:cool:

You don't get that on the A1.
Neighbours here in Torridon had their own canal boat built ... they sold it a couple of years ago as one of them was struggling with it, and bought a PVC!!

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Neighbours here in Torridon had their own canal boat built ... they sold it a couple of years ago as one of them was struggling with it, and bought a PVC!!

I'm not surprised Liz. I read about a guy the other day who has just paid £250,000 for his new canal boat (widebeam) and the hull has been built wonky like a banana so it veers off to the right when cruising.

There's no denying that 'British built' means you take your chances these days. You just have to look at some of the British MoHo offerings to realise how poor we build things.

The British Bung On Another Thousand scene and the MoHo scene seem to have something in common - the new ones all seem to come with a whole host of faults.

I'll feel at home, lol.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Went to see a few nice sewer tubes the other day on the Trent (57' x 6'10" for the non boaters) but all were a bit older style for my liking. The conventional TRAD style would be ideal for accessing the whole C&RT network so that's our first choice for now Michael. We would go down the 'Continuous Crusing' licence for sure.

That said, we are passing Wincham Wharf next week on our annual trip to Cornwall so we'll pop in as Nicky wants to check out the widebeams for sale.

IMO the widebeam boats are like a Morelo in terms of what areas of the network it can access whereas the NB's are like a PVC.....

.........so it'll probably be a PVC again for me ;)
Narrow tube, avoid v hulls and get a full survey or retro fit a sound hull, or someones abandoned project. Wide beams are great for trip boats and wide canals and permanent live aboard but can't really move off his cut and are useless for narrow locks and buggers to steer in strong wind and or tidal ranges ( Ex Boatmaster!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Narrow tube, avoid v hulls and get a full survey or retro fit a sound hull, or someones abandoned project. Wide beams are great for trip boats and wide canals and permanent live aboard but can't really move off his cut and are useless for narrow locks and buggers to steer in strong wind and or tidal ranges ( Ex Boatmaster!)

I'm even considering an ex-hire boat from Black Prince as they seem to sell them in good order. I did email BP a few weeks ago but I don't reckon they'll have any offerings until Oct-20 and, like motorhomes, there seems to be a whole load of new staycation folk enquiring about their boats.

We best revert back to Morelos or else we'll be getting kicked off the Morelo Forum::bigsmile:

Many Thanks for the post-up (and cool job BTW).

Andrew

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
We nearly joined you in buying a high spec Concorde but a couple of small health issues at the time of committing made us dither and next thing both options got sold, like you we would have been sitting with 2 very expensive vehicles, one not getting sold and the other not getting used. The money is sitting in the bank until things settle down or do what you have and buy in France. Stick around and keep poking the grumps. 😎

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'm even considering an ex-hire boat from Black Prince as they seem to sell them in good order. I did email BP a few weeks ago but I don't reckon they'll have any offerings until Oct-20 and, like motorhomes, there seems to be a whole load of new staycation folk enquiring about their boats.

We best revert back to Morelos or else we'll be getting kicked off the Morelo Forum::bigsmile:

Many Thanks for the post-up (and cool job BTW).

Andrew
It's your thread Andrew talk about what you like;) isn't there a boat builder up near you at Trimdon or Shildon?

Ah ha, Google suggests they went "pop" in 2006, shows how out of date I am.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Andrew

Just to add to your excuses sorry reasons for not not buying a Palace the £ vs € has stuck another £25k on the price and now you have the 2021 price list out and guess what? the prices haven't gone down:LOL:

But seriously next time you look there will be a new Loft Liner on the Eurocargo truck chassis, oh I must stop looking at new vans now but old habits die hard.

M

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Andrew

Just to add to your excuses sorry reasons for not not buying a Palace the £ vs € has stuck another £25k on the price and now you have the 2021 price list out and guess what? the prices haven't gone down:LOL:

But seriously next time you look there will be a new Loft Liner on the Eurocargo truck chassis, oh I must stop looking at new vans now but old habits die hard.

M

Shhhhhh...........Naughty........you know not to mention money in the Morelo section or else the Forum Money Police (FMP) will come along and stick it to us!

How about we have a code from now on:

1. Banana = £100K.
2. Peach = £50K.
3. Apple = £10K.

......so a standard Palace would cost two bananas and a Peach and if you chuck in an Apple or two then you could get the Lithium pack fitted as an option.

::bigsmile::devil::devil:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We nearly joined you in buying a high spec Concorde but a couple of small health issues at the time of committing made us dither and next thing both options got sold, like you we would have been sitting with 2 very expensive vehicles, one not getting sold and the other not getting used. The money is sitting in the bank until things settle down or do what you have and buy in France. Stick around and keep poking the grumps. 😎

Very wise indeed sir. I'm not sure if European camper travel will ever revert to the old norm (not for the next umpteen months), but at least you're in a great position to take advantage of any future scenario as it may arise.

Things come to those who wait IMO (or to those who are financially savvy).

All the best

Andrew

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Shhhhhh...........Naughty........you know not to mention money in the Morelo section or else the Forum Money Police (FMP) will come along and stick it to us!

How about we have a code from now on:

1. Banana = £100K.
2. Peach = £50K.
3. Apple = £10K.

......so a standard Palace could cost two bananas and a Peach and if you chuck in an Apple or two then could get the Lithium pack fitted as an option.

::bigsmile::devil::devil:
:LOL:(y) You could get a really good spec Palace full active air retarder stickers on the side:ROFLMAO:;) for a couple of 🍌 and a 🍑 Yes that includes the lithium upgrade and an extra battery, subject of course to currency fluctuations of a couple of 🍏

M

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
:LOL:(y) You could get a really good spec Palace full active air retarder stickers on the side:ROFLMAO:;) for a couple of 🍌 and a 🍑 Yes that includes the lithium upgrade and an extra battery, subject of course to currency fluctuations of a couple of 🍏

M

Now we're talking - The FMP will be lost now.

We've cracked it.

Martin, loan me a couple of bananas please. I'll pay you back, honest.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
........ and now you have the 2021 price list out and guess what? the prices haven't gone down:LOL:

I was informed recently that a MY21 Palace (basic spec) had risen by GBP£4K Martin. Is this correct or has the price inflated even further.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
It looks as if someone didn't go through with the purchase of the 93MB, now back up for sale at a reduced asking price:

Screenshot_20200813-195022_Samsung Internet.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It looks as if someone didn't go through with the purchase of the 93MB, now back up for sale at a reduced asking price:

View attachment 415453
I saw a few days ago that they had a few van with reduced prices, quite a bargain now ;) big thing though, take a bit of polishing :LOL:

Martin

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I saw a few days ago that they had a few van with reduced prices, quite a bargain now ;) big thing though, take a bit of polishing :LOL:

Martin

Speaking of polishing Martin, how about this; 60 x 12ft:

Nicky and I took it for a spin yesterday albeit it wasn't a good experience due to its sheer size on a very narrow bit of canal:
Screenshot_20200813-200504_Gallery.jpg

........and then somehow we managed to squeeze it through the wee bridge in the pic:
Screenshot_20200813-200549_Gallery.jpg

It needs solar so a 600W kit should do.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Speaking of polishing Martin, how about this; 60 x 12ft:

Nicky and I took it for a spin yesterday albeit it wasn't a good experience due to its sheer size on a very narrow bit of canal:
View attachment 415456

........and then somehow we managed to squeeze it through the wee bridge in the pic:
View attachment 415457

It needs solar so a 600W kit should do.
So do you just the pointy bit in the hole and let the rest sort itself out.

M

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
I’m looking for a new MH but just don’t get why I’d spend so much as this

View attachment 415453

There’s a 2016 model for sale for £200k (not saying it’s identical)https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/buyers-guide/motorhomes/details/90-g/132808

So in 4 years you’ve burned £80k ish, plus running costs so potentially £35k per annum.

I‘m not bothered about the size issue, as I’ve driven bigger US MH’s for events etc, but £280k would buy a 3 bed house where I live in 2016 (I’ve got 19 of them) you’d get £9.12k per annum in rental return and today the house would be worth £340k so you’d be £96k up less running costs.

So exclude running costs on both the Morelo and the house you’d be £176k better off, that’s enough for a £96k motorhome and £20k in holidays each of the 4 years.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I’m looking for a new MH but just don’t get why I’d spend so much as this

There’s a 2016 model for sale for £200k (not saying it’s identical)https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/buyers-guide/motorhomes/details/90-g/132808

So in 4 years you’ve burned £80k ish, plus running costs so potentially £35k per annum.

I‘m not bothered about the size issue, as I’ve driven bigger US MH’s for events etc, but £280k would buy a 3 bed house where I live in 2016 (I’ve got 19 of them) you’d get £9.12k per annum in rental return and today the house would be worth £340k so you’d be £96k up less running costs.

So exclude running costs on both the Morelo and the house you’d be £176k better off, that’s enough for a £96k motorhome and £20k in holidays each of the 4 years.

Those are good numbers you've quoted but ultimately if someone has the dosh (or budgets accordingly) and they enjoy doing something worthwhile then how about adding a bit of style to the equation by going upmarket.

I don't see much point in having a healthy bank account when you are six feet under.

I suppose it all comes down to personal choice, priorities and affordibality.

All the best,

Andrew

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Those are good numbers you've quoted but ultimately if someone has the dosh (or budgets accordingly) and they enjoy doing something worthwhile then how about adding a bit of style to the equation by going upmarket.

I don't see much point in having a healthy bank account when you are six feet under.

I suppose it all comes down to personal choice, priorities and affordibality.

All the best,

Andrew

I guess your right, We looked at Morelo MH’s at the NEC show early this year, just didn’t get the point, but before covid I was planning to fly a group of friends to Honk Kong in first class for a steak at my favourite restaurant, which is actually bonkers.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I guess your right, We looked at Morelo MH’s at the NEC show early this year, just didn’t get the point, but before covid I was planning to fly a group of friends to Honk Kong in first class for a steak at my favourite restaurant, which is actually bonkers.

I have three points for you:

1. I like steak.

2. My passport is in-date.

3. I've never been to Hong Kong.

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
......and now someone else has; sold again.

With Premium reducing their stock by a good chunk has brought the vans more in-line with the European forecourt prices.

If Premium were able to sell at the higher prices, why are they reducing the prices now/

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
If Premium were able to sell at the higher prices, why are they reducing the prices now/

As far as I can see the only in-stock vehicle which was sold close to its asking price was the Loft but, even then, I reckon they knocked off c.10% from screen.

The in-stock Palace and Home were reduced recently (both just sold) and the other Home (RHD cancelled order) was sold for a whole chunk of money below the RRP.

The other Morelo pre-orders work out to be a whole load cheaper than in-stock vehicles (for this year at least).

That's how I see it Geoff.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Perhaps they want to get rid of the high price stock before the bubble bursts and they get suck with them.

You make a good point Lenny as the last thing you want for a small turnover business is assets to the value of a million on your forecourt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Geoff, I'll expand a bit more to help explain my figures.

If I can refer to my screenshot in #644 above, where the 93MB was reduced from £301,790 to £280,000, then this reduction of £22,000 is just the standard 8% off the RRP which any punter can achieve during the peak selling period. The 8% allowance is also the maximum sales threshold (IMO) before it dents the dealers expected profit margins.

If we then enter the back end of the sales season then as you'll appreciate the dealer will be keen to negotiate further to help unburden himself of debts; plus preparing for the next delivery of 2021 vans.

Also, it gets even more financially worthwhile for pre-orders with long lead times etc.

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
True Andrew, and I think the bubble certainly will burst. It seems crazy at the minute.

We gave it some serious consideration Paul (this mid-life crisis of mine is starting to take its toll though, lol), but, with the CV19 situation as is then the last thing we wanted was a bloody big chunk of redundant plastic on the drive.

There have been a few cancelled orders from what I gather so we're not alone in our thinking.

Hope you and Caz are both well,

Andrew

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back