More bad press for MH's (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Am I missing something here , man empties dishwater down drain ( I think we can agree it was not black waste ) sparking indignation and fury ?
Where do people think their dishwater goes at home ?

Domestic kitchen and shower water go down same waste drain as toilet water.

That water should not go down run-off drains from roads.

Two facts are missing from this report: firstly what drain was the waste going down, and secondly why did not someone take a sample of the discharge for analysis as to its content.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Durness , yrs ago I remember when two german bikers pulled into petrol station , they seemed confused , it was mid pm on a Saturday , i was coming out of the local store and went over to ‘ help ‘ they were very low on juice , i told them they wont be open now till Monday ! They shrugged their shoulders . Course last time I visited they got a card payment pump so all good , oh yes they also got a zip wire in the bay . To me the vista as been violated

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
Whatever the circumstances, seems there’s a growing anti sentiment to MH visitors in that part of the world. I wouldn’t visit, plenty of other places without the hassle & animosity. Its a shame that our hobby/lifestyle is under such scrutiny.
Is there? Or is it just the Sun drumming up a story? Genuinely interested as thinking of going in May.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Am I missing something here , man empties dishwater down drain ( I think we can agree it was not black waste ) sparking indignation and fury ?
Says toilet water in the article, not sure where you get dishwater from.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Don’t take any notice of rubbish like that. It might be fresh water for all we know and the local was so desperate to take a picture they did so illegally earning themselves 6 points and a fine in the process.

Nothing to see here…..

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I think the point made was that its still more bad press for motorhome owners wanting to travel to Scotland. Why dump anything down a drain especially in the middle of a village in Broad daylight. Just asking for bad press.
Don't forget that some village folks can't afford anywhere near a motorhome and do envy someone with the means to spend a lot of money on 4 wheels so will be quick to point fingers and take photos of Mohomes dumping anything, leaving litter, parking over 2 spaces, parking where its not permitted. Etc etc.

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Domestic kitchen and shower water go down same waste drain as toilet water.

Two facts are missing from this report: firstly what drain was the waste going down, and secondly why did not someone take a sample of the discharge for analysis as to its content.
Not where I live , toilet to septic tank and soak away , run off and grey water to separate soak away to a 2 acre field that grows crops .

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Is 'Doing the NC500' some sort of trophy for kudos-seeking Youtubers and Faecesbook users?
I'll have to mention that over the years I must've 'Done the M25' several times and see if anyone's interested.
The most useful bit of the article (for 'wild' campers) is:

A team of 18 rangers were taken on to deal with issues like this in the Highlands.

They talked to visitors and passed on vital information, as well as putting out fires and cleaning up litter.

But funding for the scheme has been pulled and there will be no rangers on patrol this year as the camper vans come flooding in.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Vantage Sol
A friend of mine hired a large six berth Swift to do the NC500 a year or two ago. The hire company told him the best and easiest way to get rid of water from the waste tank (not toilet) was to leave the tap open as you drive along! He seemed genuinely surprised when I took a sharp intake of breath as he told me!

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Not where I live , toilet to septic tank and soak away , run off and grey water to separate soak away to a 2 acre field that grows crops .
Toilet waste into same drain as kitchen sink, shower etc.. got manhole in utility room floor where you can watch if interested..
Then drain along side of house to main drain under road which has all the road gutters going into it....

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Toilet waste into same drain as kitchen sink, shower etc.. got manhole in utility room floor where you can watch if interested..
Then drain along side of house to main drain under road which has all the road gutters going into it....

Oh video please - makes it a realtime toilet thread.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
photo of toilet waste video about dangerous driving ..

SCOTLAND’S environmental watchdog has launched an investigation after a motorhome was allegedly seen dumping toilet waste on the NC500.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

Run off water from roads will contain oil, diesel, petrol, brake dust, rubber, dead badgers, dead birds, dead foxes, other general dirt, - is washing up and shower water any worse than that?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not down storm drains that go straight into rivers.

Please note I am not having a go, or taking either side in the OP. Just answering your question.

Putting grey waste down the storm drain is not a neutral act, although with what the water companies are doing.......

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
There's about 5 images on the FB Group, of which the one below is the only one (I've seen) of what was dumped down the drain.
To me it looks like grey waste, and not black waste. Not saying its right, but huge difference between the two.
Just remember the FB Group is question as an absolute hatred of tourists, especially those in motorhomes. Although it probably doesn't stop them from going on holiday, and thus being ... a tourist. :rolleyes:

Untitled-1.jpg

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
My grey goes under our hedge, it's doing fine.Regarding the NC500, there are pages on facebook where it's absolutely hated, especially motorhomes/campers. Just small minded people really.
I live on the NC500, I've written to Highland council about toilet facilities, I've suggested that as they get roundabouts sponsored why don't they get public toilets sponsored ? and our local council to put a service point in next to our (closed) public toilets but neither are interested.

What I'd like to know, does any other ares in UK have these problems re motorhomers ????

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
dishwater wasn't mentioned in the report I read

it was toilet waste that was allegedly dumped at a beauty spot..

but there have been several reports on Facebook The Dirty Truth so maybe a different one

Last edited:

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
A few of these problems might be from rental van's 🤔 not actually knowing what or where to do things very lack of education, definitely more facilities required although I personally wouldn't go there to much animosity the same with Cornwall they don't need tourist money so don't give them any jump on a ferry or the tunnel at least there there's a welcome and plenty of facilities, and a lot less midges.

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
They took photos. But they probably don’t exist, otherwise the article would be rammed with them. Till then it’s just another NIMBY story
Just another story as you say, however, it is exactly that, another story with no counterbalance story running simultaneously. Public are only informed of one side of the story from which they form their opinion, so in terms of informing public opinion it may as well be true.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
A few of these problems might be from rental van's 🤔 not actually knowing what or where to do things very lack of education, definitely more facilities required although I personally wouldn't go there to much animosity the same with Cornwall they don't need tourist money so don't give them any jump on a ferry or the tunnel at least there there's a welcome and plenty of facilities, and a lot less midges.

As the saying goes ….’familiarity breeds contempt’.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.