Mitchelin Agilis Camping Tyre Pressures - The Facts (1 Viewer)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
There's probably not a week goes by when someone doesn't ask the question of tyre pressures. It's at this stage that every other motorhome owner who has their tyres blown up to a desired pressure, passes on the info, which is wonderful as that's what we do on the forum.

However it does concern me that the ones that are asking, don't follow the manufacturers guidelines and advice.

I only fit Mitchelin Agilis Camping, as it's my choice to do so. I know there are other alternate brands, but the Mitchelins make me happy.

As to the pressures, I take the following advice from the people who know better; the manufacturer.

From the data sheet:

Motorhomes require tyres are that are adapted to their conditions of use. In 2003, the ETRTO (European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation) changed the standard, as well as its recommendations relating to motorhome tyres, and now says "CP-type tyres have been designed to cater for the higher loads imposed by motor-caravans”, and that "it is strongly recommended that motor- caravans are only fitted with CP-tyres”.

At replacement, Michelin strongly recommends the fitting of CP tyres to vehicles originally homologated and fitted with CP tyres.
The load on the tyre must not exceed its maximum limit for any reason, i.e. the load rating must be respected. The ETRTO also states that where CP tyres are used on the rear axle (single fitment), they must be inflated to a pressure of 5.5 bar instead of the normal pressure of 4.75 bar for example.

MICHELIN CP marked tyres are therefore specially designed to be driven at an inflation pressure of 5.5 bar (550 kPa) This higher pressure improves road holding and increases resistance to the challenging driving and usage conditions encountered by motorhomes, especially with regard to loads (occasional static and/or dynamic overload associated with this type of vehicle; considerable rear overhang, load imbalance, high centre of gravity due to highly positioned loads) and long-term periods of disuse.

Fitting tyres that are not adapted to this type of use could lead to:

- poor handling (roll, pitch, yaw, difficulties in road holding)

- in difficult or severe conditions, premature deterioration of tyre components, such as the crown, which could lead to a rapid deflation.

In use: check and adjust if necessary tyre inflation pressures monthly and before any long journey. Under-inflation can be dangerous: for example, for the tyre size 225/70R15 Camping CP, an under-inflation of 0.5 bar/7.2psi (11%) is equivalent to an overload of around 100 kg per tyre.

Overloading (even temporarily) or poor vehicle load distribution can cause premature deterioration of vehicle components and/or tyres and thereby cause damage to persons or property”.

If the vehicle is parked for a long time, do not leave the tyres under inflated, and always make sure that the inflation pressures are correct before next using the vehicle. Protect tyres from UV radiation, e.g. from sunlight, and use axle stands to avoid tyre contact with cold winter surfaces (concrete, stone etc).

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Link worked for me.

Thanks for the info PP Bear

For info, for those that prefer PSI, 5.5 Bar = 80 PSI

The advice does not say that all tyres must be at 5.5 Bar, Rear ones should be but front ones depend on load, 65 PSI = 4.5 Bar is not uncommon for front wheels on a 4 tonne motorhome

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I read so many threads about tyre pressures and it would be really easy to listen to the ones that advise lower pressures for an easier ride etc. Lower pressures may work for some people but it really does cheer me up every time I see a convincing post which confirms that I am right to follow the vehicle manufacturers instructions to inflate to 80 psi.

Food for thought though... On delivery pressures were only 65 psi

IMG_20200222_121609.jpg

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Personally I thought this online calculator was a very useful guide - even warns you if your current tyre rating is close to or over advisable limits.
Take your weights from your plate under the bonnet (usually).

TYRE PRESSURE GUIDE

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Personally I thought this online calculator was a very useful guide - even warns you if your current tyre rating is close to or over advisable limits.
Take your weights from your plate under the bonnet (usually).

TYRE PRESSURE GUIDE
It comes up with higher pressures than the chart in my manual gives.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I'm trying to find out from Michellin what the correct pressure for the 118R 225/75-16 Agilis CP is. The tyre states 75psi max which is lower than than the 5.5 bar they advise for CP tyres.
I ran the previous 116Q tyre at 80psi (max permitted) all round as recommended by the motorhome manufacturer (Rapido) and the ride was fine.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Same with mine. We have Continental Vanco CP tyres which, like the Agilis, say max pressure 69psi (4.75 bar), but the plate inside the passenger door recommends 5 bar on front and 5.5 on the rear.

As a relative newcomer, I’d appreciate forumites’ opinions/advice on whether to stick with the tyre manufacturer’s maximum recommendation, or exceed this as the van manufacturer (Rapido) and ETRTO recommends.

Confused of Devon.

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
I just contacted my tyre manufacturers technical department, gave then tyre info and axle leadings and they advised me what pressures to use. I am on Conti’s not Michelin but my pressures are 4.5 bar as advised.

Easy to find out yourself, do the same.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Same with mine. We have Continental Vanco CP tyres which, like the Agilis, say max pressure 69psi (4.75 bar), but the plate inside the passenger door recommends 5 bar on front and 5.5 on the rear.

As a relative newcomer, I’d appreciate forumites’ opinions/advice on whether to stick with the tyre manufacturer’s maximum recommendation, or exceed this as the van manufacturer (Rapido) and ETRTO recommends.

Confused of Devon.
Continental are about the only manufacturer who give very precise recommendations on pressures based on the axle load. For this you need to take the fully laden MH to a weighbridge and find out the load on each axle.
I did this and now run at much lower pressures than I used to, 55 psi instead of nearer 80. It gives a much better ride and the tyres have lasted very well. I'm changing two next week which have done 46,000 miles, about 30,000 of which were at the lower pressure. There is no uneven wear and would even last a bit longer but I want to change them as they are seven years old. MH is 3.5t, tyres 16".

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Confused of Devon.

When presented with opposing views from forumites, how will you know which of the views is correct?

As advised by nabsim, the best view is that of the tyre manufacturer.

I just contacted my tyre manufacturers technical department, gave then tyre info and axle leadings and they advised me what pressures to use. I am on Conti’s not Michelin but my pressures are 4.5 bar as advised.

Easy to find out yourself, do the same.

Ian

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
T
I'm trying to find out from Michellin what the correct pressure for the 118R 225/75-16 Agilis CP is. The tyre states 75psi max which is lower than than the 5.5 bar they advise for CP tyres.
I ran the previous 116Q tyre at 80psi (max permitted) all round as recommended by the motorhome manufacturer (Rapido) and the ride was fine.
The 75 psi quoted is a requirement for the USA market which I feel is totally irrelevant to the European market.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002

Confused of Devon.
Email Continental with your actual front and rear axle weights, checked on a weighbridge in running order. They will advise their recommended pressures for your situation. Mine are 3.0 bar front and 4.5 bar rear. I can't recall the exact weights but they were about 1650kg and 2100kg. There is a chart for the tyres available somewhere but I'm typing this from a Spanish beach cafe!

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Really helpful advice, thanks all. I downloaded the conti data and will use their guidance for my tyres and loads. Just need to get to a local weighbridge and spend my £15 (£5 per ticket, so rear, front and total).

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Contact the manufacturers with your "actual" weights...

I did with my Bridgestone tyres & this was their reply:
"Thank you for the email and all the details contained within,
Based on your tyre size – 215/70 R15 109/107 S R630, we would advise the following cold pressures :-
Front pressures = 53 PSI
Rear pressures = 53 PSI
This based on the front tyres supporting a load 1750 divided by 2 = 875kgs per tyre, and the rears supporting a load of 1740kgs divided by 2 = 870kgs per tyre. This is also based on the van having single wheels on the rear axle (2x front 2x rear).
Hope this helps, but you do require any further information please do hesitate to contact me either by return of email or call me on my direct dial line...
"

Much lower than other manufacturer's & tables might suggest - but this was from the 'horse's mouth' so to speak...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Really helpful advice, thanks all. I downloaded the conti data and will use their guidance for my tyres and loads. Just need to get to a local weighbridge and spend my £15 (£5 per ticket, so rear, front and total).
You only need two. Total and one axle, then do a take away sum to get the second axle. :)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I agree, difficult to ignore manufacturers advice ........... the VERY reason why I would never fit Michelin :LOL:

I prefer the commensense and less 'cover our arse' policy of Continental (y)

Just sayin ;)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My Carthago Manual gives different advice for Michelin Agilis Camping tyre pressures (not 80psi on the rear) and I choose to follow this advice. To me it makes more sense, I just can’t fathom why the front pressures should vary according to the axle load but not the rear.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You only need two. Total and one axle, then do a take away sum to get the second axle. :)
Nah, much easier to do 'addition' so get each axle weighed and add together to get the total! :giggle:

TR5

Apr 30, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
I wouldn't rely on the converters recommendations, either. AutoTrail fit (or at least fitted) 225/75/R16 116 tyres - load rate 1250kg per tyre to the axles of Frontiers, the rear axle maximum load is - 2500kg, so the TyreSafe recommendation of tyres having an absolute minimum of 10% leeway of maximum load over and above the axle load is right out the window.
They also recommend the fronts at 80psi, regardless of axle load. They must like promoting wheel spin on FWD vehicles.
For the fronts, weigh the axle when fully loaded with what you would take, including driver/passenger/s, and then work out what that is as a percentage of the maximum load rating of the tyre. Whatever the percentage is, you the same % of maximum inflation pressure for the tyre. i.e. if load on the tyre is 75% of it's maximum capacity, then set the tyre pressure at 75% of the max. tyre pressure for that tyre - you won't be far out! Too high a pressure in the fronts just induces wheel spin, and less grip to stop in an emergency.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back