Miserly Motorhomers! (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Would love to do the NC500 but I really can’t do with what looks like quite a bit of hassle

Shame
What hassle would that be.... you obviously believe to much facetube and social media bullshit.
There is very very little hassle and if any is generated it is by the arsehole motorhomers who do not respect the locals wishes.. and certainly not I repeat NOT by the locals.
Play by the rules... respect others property's and land, pay for your stays, even if it is only a donation that is requested and you will ALWAYS get a cheery good morning from the locals....
If you don't abide by the rules then you deserve all the hassle you seem to expect.. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴

PS ... and remember that a lot if not most facilities provided for us to enjoy, pubs, shops and even stop overs are run by and funded by local communities so failure to pay does not harm some local business person who is there to make money but by the local community who is invariably run and managed by volunteers...

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
More nimbys thar need to get a life.

I'm Scottish in a 10k motorhome. If I park in a carpark that has a voluntary charge I can say hand on heart I won't be paying it. You want me to pay then say so and I will most likely park somewhere else.

As for using water in a cemetery who the feck cares? As long as no damage is being done Scotland has plenty water it can spare.

It sounds like more jealous disgruntled idiots to me.

Nearly all carparks in the North of Scotland were Free before. In fact around the trossachs , Loch lomond etc there were dozens of laybyes that councils decided to spend a load of tax payers money turning them in to carparks with barriers etc so they could then charge people to stop at.

And the Facebook pages dedicated to these bored folk to complain about tourists to the Highlands just need taken down.

Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
Good. I’m pleased there’s nothing scary.
Don’t suppose you’re gonna tell why you dont though?😁 🤷‍♂️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
It's getting rather tiresome now, reading about the NC500 and problems up here. Doesn't anyone have anything nice to say about the Highlands ?

After all 6 million visitors can't all be problematic or having a bad holiday ?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It's getting rather tiresome now, reading about the NC500 and problems up here. Doesn't anyone have anything nice to say about the Highlands ?

After all 6 million visitors can't all be problematic or having a bad holiday ?
It's the local idiots who live up there that are creating the issue. Either that or the media is just making up the stories. But if you click on that one link on page 1 then look at the dozen other stories about the nc500 nearly every article mentions the Facebook groups " the land weeps" or the " nc500 the dirty truth" . 2 groups full of factless speculating busybodies who simply don't want any tourists in the places they live so they give these comments to the press who love to publish it.

I mean reading those articles it's almost laughable at the exaggerations and enhancements.

Truth is the tourists aren't going to stop , they will probably increase and no amount of signs, bans, rangers, articles etc are going to change that. So they can either accept the fact that people are going to continue to visit or they can stress themselves in to an early grave moaning about it. Mind you there's often sod all else for them to do up there than sit on those groups whining.

The north is beautiful for sure but once you've seen it or live among it then it's a bit feckin boring.

Jun 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam746
Good. I’m pleased there’s nothing scary.
Don’t suppose you’re gonna tell why you dont though?😁 🤷‍♂️
Nothing sinister just find good site showers more spacious and a higher head as I am 6ft 2.
Should I not be happy with the site showers I would use the van, but always research sites before booking, as I do with hotels, and have yet to be disappointed

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
up the West Coast , starting from Oban .. and do you your own thing.. there are plenty of beautiful places that are not on the tourist trail that the NC500 has become ..
Lets keep them that way

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It's in "The Sun" Scottish or other wise it's a load of lying crap.

Remember the "97"
I'm thinking there's something going on with the press and media regarding tourism ...because it seems to be their main stories at the minute. Greece is also in the news now for apparent tourism issues around Athens. More "tourists go home" type graffiti etc..

Is it some crazy shit to get everyone to stay in their own countries? Or is it just to create more division etc. But its rife

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I'm thinking there's something going on with the press and media regarding tourism ...because it seems to be their main stories at the minute. Greece is also in the news now for apparent tourism issues around Athens. More "tourists go home" type graffiti etc..

Is it some crazy shit to get everyone to stay in their own countries? Or is it just to create more division etc. But its rife
Article in the local press today warning tourists about Croatia (Dubrovnik) in that it will be rammed to overcapacity (OK, overcrowded in their words!) in July so steer clear.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Had enough of the remarks, and snarky looks/comments and Im sick of hearing about over crowding because of English, the water thieving Sassenachs.
I mean....you'd think that its as if no Scots whatsoever go touring Scotland in vans.
There are plenty other areas a bit quieter than the NC route

Its a shame as I dont really think the majority locals are like that, but they are tarnished by the arseholes, and sick of it I think.

SO now i head the other way and feel comfortable over the water

I feel the same about heading south, but the shortsighted loathing of motorhomes and the folk who use them isn't restricted to Scotland.

This whole island nation of ours is largely motorhome unfriendly, due to local councils mostly, laying down ridiculous restrictions. Which is fine, if that's what local vote for, but councils bemoaning budget deficits need to wake up. The French have worked it out. Free parking and cheap aires encourages tourists to stop and spend money in their towns.

There are exceptions in Britain. I was in Wales last month and I was surprised and delighted to see that in one particularly idyllic spot, there was a dozen motorhome-length parking places, and no height restrictions. I have no doubt that they charge for it, but even so, an innovative and sensible local council.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I feel proud to be classed as a FLT, whenever possible we use park ups with no charge. If a voluntary contribution is suggested we pay it, we always collect any rubbish and take it away with us to bin later. We also search out small independent shops and spend the money saved on camping fees. Do I feel guilty going a FLT ? Definitely not.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I feel proud to be classed as a FLT, whenever possible we use park ups with no charge. If a voluntary contribution is suggested we pay it, we always collect any rubbish and take it away with us to bin later. We also search out small independent shops and spend the money saved on camping fees. Do I feel guilty going a FLT ? Definitely not.
Being from Aberdeenshire you've got a lot more than FLTing to feel guilty about!:whistle2::giggler::imoutahere:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Classic FLTs who give all a bad name and end up with motorhomes being banned .
A bit odd I thought that there were no pictures supporting these claims. However, I'm sure there will be the odd bad behaviour being displayed and no doubt much is being made of a minority rather than the good behaviour of the majority.
We do most if not all of our motorhoming outside of the UK and do find the general attitude towards motorhoming in the UK is more Negative than positive. If your not on a campsite you more or less unwelcome.
In Europe its entirley different.
This attitude in the UK will never change I beleive.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Going to Cornwall this weekend for a couple of months, they want the money and we want a pleasant holiday. That's why I don't go to Scotland, lousy weather and expensive for no good reason. Then France when the school holidays have finished.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I must be missing something but are all the cars paying the voluntary fee🤷
I'm willing to bet the guy who overheard the conversation didn't pay himself . That's my biggest gripe with these schemes. No one charges cars for parking overnight in a carpark etc ...they just motorhomes as a cash cow.

Campra did not help with their bright idea of contacting councils and telling them people would pay 10/15 to park overnight in lots of carparks throughout Scotland that never had an issue with campers overnight in the first place.

Arbroath was a perfect example of interference where it wasn't wanted or needed.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
A bit odd I thought that there were no pictures supporting these claims. However, I'm sure there will be the odd bad behaviour being displayed and no doubt much is being made of a minority rather than the good behaviour of the majority.
We do most if not all of our motorhoming outside of the UK and do find the general attitude towards motorhoming in the UK is more Negative than positive. If your not on a campsite you more or less unwelcome.
In Europe its entirley different.
This attitude in the UK will never change I beleive.
And it's unfortunately mostly down to jealousy ....you can see it in the wording of the comments allegedly left by these people ( they're driving £70k motorhomes) ...or ( huge big motorhomes) blah blah blah.

My motorhome is worth maybe £15k at a push ... would they make the same comment?

It's that old misconception...if you drive a car worth £1k but have £80k in the bank you're poor .
But if you drive an £80k car and have nothing in the bank you must be wealthy.

Jealous bored people annoyed because someone is getting something they're not.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Going to Cornwall this weekend for a couple of months, they want the money and we want a pleasant holiday. That's why I don't go to Scotland, lousy weather and expensive for no good reason. Then France when the school holidays have finished.
Enjoy Cornwall 🤣 from what I've seen they also don't welcome motorhomes ...and they have patrols going round carparks moving you or fining you.

As for expensive. The last time I enquired about a campsite in Cornwall...they wanted £40 per night and that was in 1999

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back