Miserly Motorhomers! (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
:LOL:
I loved this comment....

"Instead they’ve been camping at graveyards and cemeteries where they hang out their washing and even have BBQs."

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
:LOL:
I loved this comment....

"Instead they’ve been camping at graveyards and cemeteries where they hang out their washing and even have BBQs."
Well they are the most lively party spots on that route

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
They are parked at the gate to one of the best beaches up north.
The parking is on the entry road to the beach and the golf club.
The cemetery is to the side/back of the ruined church.
There's around 10-12 spaces on either side and is meant to be parking for the cemetery and the beach.
There's a house on the other side of the road.
We've seen motorhome parked in the golf club car park.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Would love to do the NC500 but I really can’t do with what looks like quite a bit of hassle

Shame

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
For Sale
Would love to do the NC500 but I really can’t do with what looks like quite a bit of hassle

Shame
no need to have hassle.. only FLTs get hassle.. but go when it's less busy ..

or .. go up the West Coast , starting from Oban .. and do you your own thing.. there are plenty of beautiful places that are not on the tourist trail that the NC500 has become ..

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004

Shame
Had enough of the remarks, and snarky looks/comments and Im sick of hearing about over crowding because of English, the water thieving Sassenachs.
I mean....you'd think that its as if no Scots whatsoever go touring Scotland in vans.
There are plenty other areas a bit quieter than the NC route

Its a shame as I dont really think the majority locals are like that, but they are tarnished by the arseholes, and sick of it I think.

SO now i head the other way and feel comfortable over the water

Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
yet a few years ago, many scottish agencies were full of it, come and visit the NC500 ....... perhaps they should have got their act in place BEFORE establishing the route by ensuring provision of facilities. would it really have been outside their box to have established overnight parking areas near local facilities, cafes, restaurants, pubs etc - i am surprised there isnt a pub stop/restaurant stop guide for such tourist routes.

The Germans have managed their Romantic Road route very well, with established Aires in towns and villages ....

there will always be some who push the boundaries and we all have our own concept of the right thing, which applies to locals and those visiting. i wonder how many of those complaining have been known to push the boundaries of their own activities. I am not condoning "bad behaviour" and certainly not condoning illegal activities, but neither am i supporting a holier than thou attitude ...

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Why make it voluntary ?
Is it to keep the locals from having to pay ?
I havent been, would probably be press ganged by the wife to hand over a voluntary payment if we did go, as she is a nicer person than me, but I do feel like going now if it winds up the morally outraged

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
As I get older and grumpier ( if that’s possible) , it never ceases to amaze me how people just don’t seem to realise that by posting their favourite camping / parking spots they have destroyed what they initially wanted.
The moment these so called tourist routes are published is the day I wouldn’t want to go as sadly the tourists destroy what was the original character or charm ☹️
Going for a nap now 😂

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
What’s a Flt
It stands for Free Loading Tosser.

To some of us it is a badge of honour, by going to places where there is no payment requested, voluntary or requirement, and keeping our costs of our holidays down. eg, I paid 12 euros "camping" fees for 29 days in Spain recently, but I only used official aires and the 2 euro aire we had to hunt down the bar that you had to pay in. We pay when required or select free aires, We have just always been frugal, hence we can afford a motorhome

On the other end of the scale of FLTs are people in vans who may be doing absolutely nothing wrong, but in the opinion of some, they shouldnt be doing what they are doing which may include parking in a layby or car park overnight for many nights on the trot, forcing local councils to use height barriers or parking fees etc.
If they leave their rubbish about after then they are another level of FLT.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
1715706943147.png

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

Shame

Don't believe any ot this crap. We did 3 weeks last may. It was quiet, pleasant. We had a wonderful few weeks.

Jun 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam746
It stands for Free Loading Tosser.

To some of us it is a badge of honour, by going to places where there is no payment requested, voluntary or requirement, and keeping our costs of our holidays down. eg, I paid 12 euros "camping" fees for 29 days in Spain recently, but I only used official aires and the 2 euro aire we had to hunt down the bar that you had to pay in. We pay when required or select free aires, We have just always been frugal, hence we can afford a motorhome

On the other end of the scale of FLTs are people in vans who may be doing absolutely nothing wrong, but in the opinion of some, they shouldnt be doing what they are doing which may include parking in a layby or car park overnight for many nights on the trot, forcing local councils to use height barriers or parking fees etc.
If they leave their rubbish about after then they are another level of FLT.
I knew I should of paid more attention, or in fact attended more regularly at school, but I did get my red and yellow swimming, but thanks I can now stop trying to work out where the forklift truck came into it.
I think as long as people are courteous to others and the countryside it should be left to the freedom of choice as to what method of parking up .
I personally look to sites that have EHU Toilets and showers we are on our 6th MH and yet to take a shower in the vehicles

Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
What’s the scary thing about showering in a motorhome shower then?
what could go that wrong?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Done it three times and never had any hassle

Don't believe any ot this crap. We did 3 weeks last may. It was quiet, pleasant. We had a wonderful few weeks.
We're, generally, on parts of the N500 every year and have minimal negative feedback but that may be as a result of us parking up with consideration for locals/others or using sites.

We also know the proper etiquette for driving on the road network and understand we're there to enjoy ourselves whilst others are there because they work/reside there.

It's easy to say provide a supporting infrastructure before publicising but in one of the least densely populated areas of the UK who provides the funding and what criticism then gets flung about if it doesn't take off?

Scotland was receiving considerable support from the EU but we know what happened there.

A key factor in the lack of infrastructure is the current lack of understanding at both local and national Government level of transient visitors/holidaymakers however I do believe that within Scotland, albeit slowly, we are trying to improve this.

As I'm sure most will agree "high profile" stories sell newspapers so, given some of the comments made, how much of these articles are hiped up?

If truth be told it doesn't disappoint us that others have taken the position of "not for us" as that does leave more room for us!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back