Mirror smashed in Spain ( Sorry it's a Long One ) (1 Viewer)

Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Hi all,
Got back home, about 2 am, this morning, after an eight week trip, touring France, Spain, Gib, and Portugal. After entering Spain from Portugal, somewhere just North over the Border, ( can't remember the name of the Small town/village ) a Lorry smashed my Passenger side Mirror. I could see the Lorry from about half a mile away, as we were coming down a narrow Mountain Road. The Lorry was coming towards me from a Main Road, and was building up speed, I assume to try and get up the Hill, although he carried no load. I said to my wife, that I thought he was driving far too fast. I was driving at about 40 Km/hr, and constantly braking,as I new the road was too narrow, but the Lorry driver,if anything was even trying to build up speed. To cut the long story short, the Bang frightened my wife to death, as it occurred on her side. I immediately stopped, but the Lorry Driver continued for approximately another 100 Metres. I think he only stopped, because he saw that there was a car behind him, otherwise he would have just continued. He would not give me his name, or any info,and I showed him that I had a Dash Cam running at the Time. He just wasn't interested, even when I explained in my Pigeon Spanish that he was going too fast, and I knew that he understood what I was trying to say.
I got my wife to take his Registration No. and the Name of his Company from the Door on the Lorry, and told him that I was going to Telephone the Police. My wife phoned the Police, who took ages to arrive, although the town was only about 2- 3 Kilometres away. The Lorry Driver in the mean time drove way before the Police arrived. I gave the Police my Documents, and the Lorry Driver's Company Name and Lorry Reg, while ringing my Insurance company, who said the fault is 50-50, so not worth claiming for, as my excess was £250, plus my Premium would go up next year. I tried to get quotes for a new Mirror in Vigo, Santiago and one or two other places. The best Price was €381 all in including fitting, but would have to wait 3 days. My wife didn't want to wait that long, and wanted to move on. So here we are, back home, after getting the Ferry from Santander on Saturday Night, arriving at Portsmouth Sunday Night at around 8 pm. and getting home to Lancashire at 2 am.this morning. Went to our local Peugeot Dealer this afternoon, who has problem trying to source a replacement, and have been quoted, wait for it...
£562.00 I don't know whether this included VAT and Labour.
My question is " Does anyone know where I can source a cheaper Mirror for the Passenger Side for my Peugeot Van, Boxer 333 MWB 2198 CC YEAR 2010 ?
Sorry it's such a long one.
Many thanks. BillyS

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There are a lot on eBay at very reasonable prices but I don't know exactly what yours looks like. I just searched on "peugeot boxer mirrors".

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If you can source a replacement from ebay, all I can say is they are dead easy to replace, a few bolts and you are good to go!

OP
OP
BillyS
Oct 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Thank you Lenny HB. Just looked on their Website, and a price of £204.59
That's quite a difference from the Peugeot Dealer, who quoted £ 562.00

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

papaken

Free Member
Jan 29, 2013
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
I had the same in France in June, a British driver in a 4x4 clipped my passenger wing mirror and the 2 outriggers snapped off, fortunately the mirror stayed intact so I managed to temporarily strap the outriggers back in position until I got home.

My son a body shop manager tried his suppliers and unfortunately they sent a replacement but with short outriggers so it was returned, and the correct long outrigger unit was I thought expensive at £240.

I had searched eBay previously so another search on eBay and I managed to find the correct hand and size for £99.

It took my son 30 mns to gain access and strip the side panel and speaker to get to the electrical connector and with only two bolts to release the broken unit and a perfect replacement was complete.
I think without his knowledge it would have taken me a lot longer and it is easier as a two man job.

OP
OP
BillyS
Oct 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Thank you Kevan. The price looks even better at £156, than the one I saw at £204.56
It just shows what rip off Merchants Dealerships are, who quoted me at £562.
BillyS

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Be careful you buy a mirror for a RHD vehicle. If you had bought one in Spain the angles of the support arms would have been wrong.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know how much is left but if the mirror holder is still there you can get stick on mirrors for about a tenner

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
There are many alternative mirrors for your van which may include heaters or temperature sensors in addition to which side it belongs, so make sure you include any extras which could account for the variety of prices. I have used Wingmirrorman and been delighted with the service and costs. The mirror is very easy to fit yourself.

Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Some times you have got to very careful what you tell your insurance company had the same problem happen in italy waggon hit the wing mirror in a tunnel.
so informed insurance company glass ok so carried on the plan was to get it repaired or replaced when we got home.
any way got it repaired did not claim on the insurance 4months later got clipped by a white van told insurance company van went i for repair only to find out lost all my no claims for two bumps in a year even though i was not at fault. even though i did not claim i told them. Guess who does not pay for protected no claims anymore

OP
OP
BillyS
Oct 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Be careful you buy a mirror for a RHD vehicle. If you had bought one in Spain the angles of the support arms would have been wrong.
I have not purchased a replacement yet. Just waiting for my son in law to be, to see if he can source one cheaper elsewhere. Thank you all for your prompt replies. BillyS

papaken

Free Member
Jan 29, 2013
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
I ordered mine by reg no.
And had measured the extension arm 3 1/2 inch electric adjustable from the drivers door and I found out it also had an internal heater.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Halfords sell replacement Mirror glass.

I had one smashed on my Combo Van, the price of a replacement, like you it made me blink!
I cut out a cardboard template and took it to a glass place , the fella did it there and then, from memory it cost me £9

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It depends on several things so you need to make sure you get the right mirror/arm set up

Is yours electric or manual?
Is yours heated or not? If so you'll need one with the heating elements in.
Is it short or long arm?
Does it have an aerial or temperature probe in it?

There are lots for sale on Ebay, new and second hand, so have a good shuftie.

Don't forget to search for Fiat and Citroen ones too as they are all pretty much the same!

Also if your main parts are okay and you only need new mirror glass and back panel you can buy these off Ebay separately, this is a thread from when we had the same problem:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...-the-door-now-its-broken-on-the-floor.131939/

OP
OP
BillyS
Oct 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Unfortunately, the Large Mirror, as well as the Plastic Housing got damaged. The bottom mirror is OK. It needs a complete new Unit

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Unfortunately, the Large Mirror, as well as the Plastic Housing got damaged. The bottom mirror is OK. It needs a complete new Unit
By plastic housing I assume you mean the bit that attaches to the door?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Since you have the details of the van that hit you I assume you will be sending a bill to the company along with a copy of the dashcam video and asking them to pay up?

If they don't pay then you could put the dashcam footage on youtube and name and shame. :)

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
I had a similar experience in Germany. A chap in a van took out my LHS wing mirror. The police eventually turned up, told me it was 50/50 and they couldn't arbitrate but as I wasn't German I had to pay an amount (I think € 30) to them for attending. Suppose I should be grateful I wasn't Greek...
I then went to a local Iveco crowd who were very helpful. They tried to replace the mirror, but discovered a LHD van mirror wouldn't work on my RHD van. So they essentially rebuilt mine - put new glass in, duct tape around the plastic etc. - and this lasted until I got home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back