Mirror, Mirror on the door ... now it's broken & on the floor!

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Minxy Girl, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We are now members of a bit of an 'exclusive' club which we hoped we would never be members of! The broken mirror brigade!!!!! :mad:

It happened a couple of days ago - an idiotic German MHer was driving down a road in Croatia towards us and towards bend in the road, we couldn't see him, he couldn't see us, however when he got to where we could see him about 15ft away he was already slightly over the white line onto our side then the pillock (substitute a stronger name if you wish ... I can't repeat the one I used!) who was driving too fast took fright at the large rock which was sticking out slightly on his side and over-reacted so pulled out more onto our side and hit our bl**dy mirror ...if he hadn't panicked he would probably have missed us. In the split second before it happened we knew we were going to make contact and couldn't do a thing about it as we had a wall at the side of us and hubby decided not to 'modify' the bodywork with it!

Being on the 'inside' of the road I was in the 'line of attack' (note to self ... must remember to get a left-hand drive vehicle next time!) there was one hell of a bang and the mirror hit the side cab window, hurling plastic through it off the indicator lens. We stopped and the MH behind the one that hit us slowed down but then they drove on, we eventually turned round (one Croatian driver stopped to make sure we were okay which was nice) and went back to see if they'd stopped somewhere too but they were no-where to be seen, they'd obviously legged it!

The back casing has a piece missing near where it goes onto one of the arms, and another crack where the indicator lens 'should' be, the Fiat top mirror is still in one piece but some of the mirror coating itself has splintered and come off, the small bottom mirror is more shattered but still in one piece, and the top blind spot mirror which we added previously disappeared into orbit somewhere I assume as we couldn't find it at all afterwards. After lots of gaffer tape and messing about I've managed to make the mirrors usable to some extend and we've moved the blind spot mirror from the other side and put it on top so that helps.

Before anyone says it - we don't think Mirror Guards would have helped as the impact was so great, we were surprise the cab door glass itself didn't smash and we have a couple over very small marks in the paintwork; I found plastic from the indicator lens on the dinette seat later on, good job it went past rather than hit me as I had the window fully open.

We aren't letting it spoil our holiday but its annoying ... expense we weren't expecting ... will have to see what it will cost to replace when we get home, hopefully Ebay will have something suitable.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. big map

big map Funster Life Member

The noise it makes when they go is terrifying isn't it!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Please report it to the police @Minxy Girl He may try to blame you and claim from you. Do you have dash cam footage?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Never happens on the roads to Skeggy........(y)(y)

• Funny Funny x 5
  5. Petest

Petest Funster

Have you a dash cam? That should have recorded the incident and will have the offending vehicles reg number.

• Like Like x 1
  6. reckless

reckless Funster

I don't think this club is at all exclusive! Confirm mirror guards probably wouldn't have prevented it.

This happened to us in France, white van man. We're also RHD and now whenever a vehicle gets a bit too close I find myself cringing away from the window.

Gaffer tape and a vanity mirror saved the day for us. We now carry temporary replacement mirrors.

Karen

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Funny how they always seem to bugger off after contact. Had the same with a lady driving a Landrover Discovery. Nearly half way over my side of the road and bang, she hit my mirror with her A pillar and drove off.

Luckily there was nothing actually broken, but it did pop the lower glass out, which was then saved by the wiring to the mirror heater.

Your story is almost identical to the one covered by Jeremy Vine on radio 2. Guy hits the mirror on a motorhome and knocks it off with his van, but no damage. They both stopped, took it knock for knock and drove off. A few weeks later the motorhome driver gets a letter from his insurance company stating that he had caused excessive damage to the other van, why hadn't he reported the accident and the drivers making a claim. Luckily he had a dash cam and sent off evidence to prove the case and the whole thing was dropped.

Defo let the police know what happened, you never want something silly like that happen to you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Anyone with that problem, ie smashed mirror On the Passengers side of a series 2 Ducatto cab, I have a spare and it will cost you the same as I paid £10 +post.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

these days if the other one doesn't stop then you should always report it as it is " leaving the scene of an accident" offence.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Hettie's Crew

Hettie's Crew Funster

Wingmirrorman in Bury, they have a website, sorted me out with a new one at £170 compared to Fiat who wanted £320. They come in short, medium and long arm lengths. £170 was for a medium with power and heat.
    I put covers on after ours got smashed solely because it makes them more visable.
    Luckily I could still use the the small mirror at the bottom to get by until we got home.
    Coach builts use the medium length.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Dave K

Dave K Funster

Is that because there's never 2 drivers on it at the same time....:D

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. Cyclewalkbob

Cyclewalkbob Funster

We had exactly the same on the I'l de Re' in May. We had dash camera but could not view it till we got home. White van coning around corner too fast with wheels over white line, then saw us and tried to steer away, but wheels still just on white line and of course the mirror totally destroyed. He stopped and then drove off!

Limped back to campsite and explained to the campsite owner who said he would book us in for 4 days, it took three days to get replacement fitted and they are Soooo expensive!

Mirroe guard would not have stopped the damaged.

I know your pain Minxi Girl!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Only because the Skeggy welcoming comitee blocked the road

image.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Dave K

Dave K Funster

I got one from eBay for our old bolero £126.00, it was a long arm electrically operated one

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tootles

Tootles Funster

My very point, Robert. :)

16. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

When we had ours 'done' by a lorry in Scotland the dashcam was no help as the offending lorry was tailgating another so no registration visible. Over £1k to replace (Rapido coach type mirrors)

17. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Could you see the name of the offender? Often worth reporting to the police and the company concerned who may have records of where their drivers were.

• Like Like x 1
  18. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Its surprising just how much mirror guards can take. A very similar tale happened to us last year and thankfully the mirror guard saved most of it...Apparent damage was the bottom mirror burst off the socket. @andy63 worked magic with some superglue.

Hope you get it fixed easily enough.

• Like Like x 3
  19. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

mirror covers wont prevent damage but can be used to cover a hole in the mirror casing if you are lucky

• Like Like x 1
  20. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

No dash cam footage ... although we do have one it lives in a bag on the shelf until hubby decides to work out where he wants it putting ... do NOT tempt me!!!! :mad:

No details of the reg no, I know it was German as I recognised the plate as it came towards us but that's all ... :( nothing therefore to report to the cops!

Yes they DO make a hell of a noise when they first get hit followed immediately by the 'echo' bang as they hit the window! The worse thing is being sat there and knowing its gonna happen but you can't do owt to stop it! :Eeek: