Minoan lines - avoid at all cost (1 Viewer)

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
Just been touring Europe for the last few months and decided to take the ferry from Patras to Venice as a change from driving through the Balkans.
We booked with Minoan Lines to depart from Patras at 7pm and arrive Venice at 1:30 am (33 hours journey).
We were told there was a delay of 4 hours in departing, turned out to be an 8 hour delay (finally departing 2:30am).
During the sailing (4 hours from Ancona) there was an announcement that everyone had to disembark in Ancona, the ferry would not be going on to Venice.
Disembarked at 2 am and then had to drive 450 km to Venice encurring additional tollcost and diesel.
The cost of the ferry was €455 and we have been trying now for a week to get a refund with no luck so far.
The food on board was disgusting, the staff unfriendly and the cleanness very poor.
Personally we would never use Minoan lines again and I would recommend you check the reviews on trip advisor before booking any tickets.
We are currently in Budapest (34 degrees) and will soon be departing for the uk.
Happy camping everyone.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We never use Minoan now after a couple of sailings with the dogs where the staff behaved as if we had brought pigs on board, and also when they wouldn't give us electricity for our motorhome even though we had a fridge/freezer full of food. We always use Anek/Superfast now and with one exception the staff and sailings have been great. The one exception was earlier this month when we came back from Crete. The ship had been changed to the Elyros, which we were told was their best ship - well maybe it was but the staff were incredibly rude and miserable and the deck crew refused us electricty until I found someone in charge who sorted it. The other advantage of Anek/Superfast is that 'Camping on Board' really means that - i.e. you sleep in your own van. With Minoan you have to stay in a cabin because, as far as I am aware, they don't have ships with open decks.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We used Miloan in 2015 for Ancona to Patras, cabins were a bit basic otherwise Ok, staff fine no problem getting an EHU. The only problem we had was a couple of months before our crossing the cancelled our sailing but gave us a wide choice of other crossing and free food vouchers as compensation.
With Minoan you have to stay in a cabin because, as far as I am aware, they don't have ships with open decks.
The ones we were on had semi open decks i.e. big open windows down each side but they had stopped doing camping on board but you get a free cabin if travelling with a Motorhome or caravan.

That was nearly 4 years ago so may have gone downhill.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Just back in Italy from our first Greek trip. First and last use of Minoan. Late leaving Ancona for Patras' and dumped us there late evening instead of late afternoon. Return from Igoumenitsa even worse. First they tried to shift us to a 0400 departure instead of 2359, then the 2359 failed to appear until 0200. Arrived Ancona slap in the middle of evening rush hour traffic. Loading/ deck staff rude, impatient and give contradictory instructions. Try to reverse you into lunatic positions. On board food terrible. Chose Minoan because it was considerably cheaper than Anek for our dates but definitely would avoid in future. Probably drive both ways. Four hours on the Dieppe ferry is right on my boredom threshold. Why do people like cruises?

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
We used them only once. Anek ever since. If possible from Ancona but Bari if I've left it too late.
Last year we arrived in Ancona in March in the worst snow they'd had for 6 yrs. The port was closed and the ferry couldn't dock so they were refunding people or transferring bookings to the next available sailing. Which could have been several days. So we took the refund and immediately rebooked from Bari leaving the following day and set off down the autostrada following three snow ploughs!
Us to, looking at an Apri/May trip next year. FLT heaven.:LOL:
We're heading back next April too, might see you en route!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back