LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Overpriced as it's old stock built (that CPU is about 3 intel versions old from 2017) at a time when some components were more expensive?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
its nnot that expensive if you compare it to a laptop with same spec ok you need the peripherals

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Paid £1200 for a Dell Laptop I7" screen, 3/4 years ago, with I7 7500, 2.7GHZ, 16GB Ram, and 250GB SSD. Looking at replacing soon and they haven't got any cheaper, but existing will do fine as we are not Gamers.
Son was over last weekend, reckons that the replacement for his 5 year old I Mac Laptop will cost him best part of 3K to try and "Future Proof" it for 5 years, but he does use it for work in Cyber Security for Banks etc.
LES

Jul 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Perpetual newbie
Stocks on tech are low so prices are kept high due to supply issues. Depending on the needs you could consider a Raspberry Pi v4, well spec'd and at a fraction of the cost - got a complete 4GB with case, SD-card, power plug etc around £60 a few months ago, slightly more expensive now but still a bargain compared to a regular desktop and there's even a laptop conversion kit available for the mobile folks.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016

Mini PC,​

Fanless Desktop Computer,​

Intel i7-8550U 8th Gen. 4 Cores CPU,​

16GB DDR4 RAM,​

256GB SSD+1TB HDD,​

4K 4096x2304,​

HD Port,​

DP,​

WiFi,​

Metal Case,​

Windows 10 Pro ..​

£610.00
Doesn't sound particularly expensive for that spec.

Isabellah

Free Member
Jan 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
Don't own on yet
for that specs the price is fair, the CPU is good enough and you'll have a fair amount of RAM

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Same as Motor Homes smaller the van bigger the price !

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
8GB of memory and not upgradable?
Storage soldered onto motherboard, not upgradable?

Think I will pass.

Although the M1 chip seems to be pretty amazing.
Then buy it upfront with 16GB Mini's as you will be aware are hosted in many a data centre, not everyone can or needs to fiddle with a Computer. for those who want and need a more professional set up https://www.apple.com/uk/mac-pro/ add change and delete to your hearts content.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My laptop was about £250 four years ago, it's a bit slow but does everything we need. Lenovo with 1TB 👍

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Then buy it upfront with 16GB Mini's as you will be aware are hosted in many a data centre, not everyone can or needs to fiddle with a Computer. for those who want and need a more professional set up https://www.apple.com/uk/mac-pro/ add change and delete to your hearts content.
On the page linked there wasn't a 16GB version...

8GB is not enough in todays world it wasn't about needing or wanting to fiddle, it was about getting a usable system up front.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Ok. I just realised you can up spec once you click on the chosen one.

I upgraded to 16GB and chose a 2TB nvme. The price shot up to £1,699 :Eeek:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
That is another reason why I won't buy Apple.
They are charging £800 to upgrade from a 512Mb NVMe drive to a 2TB NVMe drive.
You can buy them for £199..

Then the upgrade from 8GB to 16GB is £200. 8GB of DDR4 memory is only £20-£30 and that is retail price.
This is a really good quality module https://amzn.to/3Aywt7G

If they charged reasonable price even with a decent premium of say 10 or 20% I could understand it. But 400-1000% premium is in rip off territory in my view and not great value at all.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
On the page linked there wasn't a 16GB version...

8GB is not enough in todays world it wasn't about needing or wanting to fiddle, it was about getting a usable system up front.

Upgradable to 16GB and strangely enough I am using a 2014 Mac mini with 8GB ram for a Zoom Call I am Chair for it will have a short throw projector plugged in a Bose speaker a Yetti Mic and a High end logitech Camera. It will chug along but will be stable and work.

Screenshot 2022-01-25 at 17.07.24.png

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
That is another reason why I won't buy Apple.
They are charging £800 to upgrade from a 512Mb NVMe drive to a 2TB NVMe drive.
You can buy them for £199..

Then the upgrade from 8GB to 16GB is £200. 8GB of DDR4 memory is only £20-£30 and that is retail price.
This is a really good quality module https://amzn.to/3Aywt7G

If they charged reasonable price even with a decent premium of say 10 or 20% I could understand it. But 400-1000% premium is in rip off territory in my view and not great value at all.
If you just upgrade to 16 Gb of memory its £899, you can chose to have low internal hard drive and 2TB external making it much cheaper

Clearly not rip off for many people, and as i pointed out I am using a 8 year old Mac its slow but more then capable of doing the job I need and for many people it would be an excellent media server which is what I normally use that one for.

Its like saying N&B are a rip off as the vehicle contains many components that Swift use

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you just upgrade to 16 Gb of memory its £899, you can chose to have low internal hard drive and 2TB external making it much cheaper
But if I am buying a compact system I really don't want to have stuff hanging off the back of it, especially when £200 for a 2TB internal is available.

Clearly not rip off for many people, and as i pointed out I am using a 8 year old Mac its slow but more then capable of doing the job I need and for many people it would be an excellent media server which is what I normally use that one for.
Charging £800 for a £200 part is clearly a rip off. And that is without deducting the removal of the 500GB...
I use a £54 raspberry pi as a media server. Why spend all the money on an Apple then only use it for media serving? Seems to me that would be under utilising an expensive bit of kit and increasing your electric bill. Also the pi in a solid metal case is much, much smaller and in my view just as good looking.
1643132071599.png

Its like saying N&B are a rip off as the vehicle contains many components that Swift use
No it's not.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
But if I am buying a compact system I really don't want to have stuff hanging off the back of it, especially when £200 for a 2TB internal is available.

Charging £800 for a £200 part is clearly a rip off. And that is without deducting the removal of the 500GB...
I use a £54 raspberry pi as a media server. Why spend all the money on an Apple then only use it for media serving? Seems to me that would be under utilising an expensive bit of kit and increasing your electric bill. Also the pi in a solid metal case is much, much smaller and in my view just as good looking.
View attachment 579233

No it's not.
Thats quite funny post no17 you said "8GB is not enough in todays world" that £54 Pi only has 4GB memory :LOL:(y) The mini do get some great reviews for a mini PC

Apple Mac mini with M1 review: Shockingly good for the money

The new Mac mini packs enormous power with its M1 chip in a more affordable package

And yes I have a Raspberry Pi cracking little machines, along with a Mac Mini and Mac Book Pro :)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thats quite funny post no17 you said "8GB is not enough in todays world" that £54 Pi only has 4GB memory :LOL:(y) The mini do get some great reviews for a mini PC
Here we go again. I said 8GB is not enough for normal computing use for an awful lot of people. 16GB is the standard now for everything from basic productivity work to games.

I wasn't suggesting the Raspberry Pi is suitable as a desktop for anything serious. I was suggesting it is ideal as a media streaming server and much better value for that purpose than an Apple Min

And yes I have a Raspberry Pi cracking little machines, along with a Mac Mini and Mac Book Pro :)
Horses for courses. At £699 it is marginally good value. But the second you want anything other than the basic specs it is rip off territory.
The Mac mini would be no good for me as I need lots of local storage and although I can get by on 8GB 16GB gives me overhead for doing more of the stuff I do at the same time.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
8GB of memory and not upgradable?
Storage soldered onto motherboard, not upgradable?

Think I will pass.

Although the M1 chip seems to be pretty amazing.

The M1 chip includes the RAM within the actual package itself, so they are fundamentally not upgradable. The M1 "chip" is actually multiple integrated circuits all within one enclosure. I would imagine bringing the memory onboard simplifies system design and shortens distances. Limitations caused by the speed of light are actually quite important to modern system design. I also imagine it also allows significantly more flexibility by the memory manager to allocate resources between CPUs, GPUs etc.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Here we go again. I said 8GB is not enough for normal computing use for an awful lot of people. 16GB is the standard now for everything from basic productivity work to games.

I wasn't suggesting the Raspberry Pi is suitable as a desktop for anything serious. I was suggesting it is ideal as a media streaming server and much better value for that purpose than an Apple Min

Horses for courses. At £699 it is marginally good value. But the second you want anything other than the basic specs it is rip off territory.
The Mac mini would be no good for me as I need lots of local storage and although I can get by on 8GB 16GB gives me overhead for doing more of the stuff I do at the same time.
Being a Mac and Pi User I do appreciate where the differences lay the machine I am using at the moment has 16GB which is useful when putting to work on video editing etc but for this forum I could get by just using the Pi.

My guess its about choice and perspective yeas Mac's are not cheap but you do get a heck of a lot for your money and they tend to last

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The M1 chip includes the RAM within the actual package itself, so they are fundamentally not upgradable. The M1 "chip" is actually multiple integrated circuits all within one enclosure. I would imagine bringing the memory onboard simplifies system design and shortens distances. Limitations caused by the speed of light are actually quite important to modern system design. I also imagine it also allows significantly more flexibility by the memory manager to allocate resources between CPUs, GPUs etc.
The M1 memory is not within the actual chip package. It is co-located on a daughter board with the CPU which is then mounted to the motherboard.

They can choose which memory configuration as they are putting together the daughter board. In this picture you can see the two memory chips to the right of the CPU.
3 different bits of silicon mounted on a sub/daughter board.

So it is actually cheaper for them to provide a 16GB upgrade for this than it is for a normal PC as there is no DIM sockets, DIM PCB and ancillary circuitry.

1643153737713.png

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Ah. Not seen actual images before. They claimed it was within the package. I guess they're defining the child-board (we're not supposed to use father/mother/son/daughter/master/slave any more) as the package.

Whilst, I imagine, it is easy to configure the boards at time of manufacture, I would guess that adding 8GB subsequently is not an option. Does an 8GB unit have an empty gap, or just two half density chips?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Whilst, I imagine, it is easy to configure the boards at time of manufacture, I would guess that adding 8GB subsequently is not an option. Does an 8GB unit have an empty gap, or just two half density chips?
I would guess they use half density chips. Keeps the price down by not having to design to daughter boards. But that is just my guess.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I would guess they use half density chips. Keeps the price down by not having to design to daughter boards. But that is just my guess.
I would also imagine two half density chips would maintain performance by having twice the bus width. Willing to be proved wrong, though!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back