Mina De Sao Domingos Portugal. A heads up! (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The police have been turning up and ejecting camping cars from the parking bays next to the lake. There is also a no camping cars sign on the entrance to the parking bays. I'm sitting in one as I type this expecting to be ejected any day now. The word on the street is this is all down to the nearby hotel owner who owns the restaurant on the parking island by the lake. However, yesterday municipalities workers started cleaning up the parking bays' weeding etc. We were also visited by tourist office reps doing a survey and they said they did not agree with this restrictions restrictions and would try and build a recognised Aire in the immediate vicinity. At present, there about 20 motorhome here in total parked in various places. Helpfully, this will be resolved soon and camping cars will be welcomed again.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
ts easy dont camp only park.
eu ruling parking ok camping not allowed.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We were there last month. It's a lovely spot and a shame if it was stopped.

Didn't I read somewhere folk were being moved off while the kayak racing was going on?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its really just that so many want to get every thing out and act like they are on a campsite .
just park . no ramps etc no campsite junk and you get left alone .
its the abusing m,homers that are spoiling every where.

Deleted User
There is also a no camping cars sign on the entrance to the parking bays. I'm sitting in one as I type this expecting to be ejected any day

Breaking the law then?

The word on the street is this is all down to the nearby hotel owner who owns the restaurant on the parking island by the lake

Who's word is that then? The restaurant owner probably pays a premium for the location and gets very little custom from the motorhomers. I don't know whether the restaurant is open in the winter but it is now the Easter holidays, next Tuesday is a public holiday in Portugal, perhaps the restaurant owner would like some business over the holiday! Get a lot more cars with a lot more people without the motorhomes.

At present, there about 20 motorhome here in total

Another 20 breaking the law then, a nice little earner if you all get fined.

eu ruling parking ok camping not allowed.

Parking OK if allowed. sign says no campervans so presumably local law enforcing this.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
a m,home is a car or m1 class car with special body regardless of weight etc . its against eu regs to discriminate . unless size . or weight is the issue . there should be a sticker on the rear of sign so you can check local bye laws if there is any .
spain used to break the rules and many in uk do.

Deleted User
a m,home is a car or m1 class car with special body regardless of weight etc . its against eu regs to discriminate . unless size . or weight is the issue . there should be a sticker on the rear of sign so you can check local bye laws if there is any .
spain used to break the rules and many in uk do.

No point in arguing the point but if a gun toting GNR, Guardia Civil, Mossos Esquadria or any other Policeman asks me to move I tend to do so:)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
No point in arguing the point but if a gun toting GNR, Guardia Civil, Mossos Esquadria or any other Policeman asks me to move I tend to do so:)
they dont point their guns at you . that just a myth. far better to get arrested specially in spain . then telephone the interiour minister and complain . been there done it . instant release and now laugh about it with the guardia concerned.

Deleted User
they dont point their guns at you . that just a myth. far better to get arrested specially in spain . then telephone the interiour minister and complain . been there done it . instant release and now laugh about it with the guardia concerned.

I never said they did but i personally have no intention of getting arrested to argue the toss, they have the authority, if you are not wanted somewhere then move.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Oh Please! Matamorus take a chill pill. It's not a black or white situation. As for breaking the law, I think not. I'm of the view the sign is illegal but would move 50 yrs to a position outside of the parking bay area if requested to do so by the local plod.No one who has been requested to move by the police has been issued with a fine.
You are making this a bigger issue than it is.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Got back to the motorhome 15 minutes ago and there is the GNR, parked immediately behind my motorhome in a conversation with another camper. They watched us enter the motorhome and have now driven off without speaking to us or getting out of their car. They appear to be very relaxed about the whole thing. If I had to move it would have only been 30 yrs to the hard standing at the entrance to the car park or elsewhere near the lake as others have done.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Lol and now we have moved. Took 10 monutes in total and now on hard standing in front of car parking bays. I was informed that GNR stated fines would imposed for those campers in any of the bays. Non Portuguise would be required to show there driving licence which would be confiscated if the fine was not paid. It is what it is

Deleted User
Oh Please! Matamorus take a chill pill. It's not a black or white situation. As for breaking the law, I think not. I'm of the view the sign is illegal but would move 50 yrs to a position outside of the parking bay area if requested to do so by the local plod.No one who has been requested to move by the police has been issued with a fine.
You are making this a bigger issue than it is.

Perfectly chilled thank you:)

To me it seems a perfectly black and white situation, there is a sign that says no campervans, you and others chose to ignore it. It is not up to us, as foreigners, to decide if a sign is legal or not.

You now say you have moved to a legal spot, enjoy your stay it is nice up there:)

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Lol nice place is an understatement. I and others moved out and a shed load of newcomers moved in. Several French, Dutch and Spanish now in there plus two caravans.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Tomorrow the restaurant opens and I guess the police want the car park free of campervans for the expected visitors. I shall update you on any action taken by the GNR on campers parked in parking bays. Now getting slightly trolled on Portuguise wine.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Lol nice place is an understatement. I and others moved out and a shed load of newcomers moved in. Several French, Dutch and Spanish now in there plus two caravans.
Yes ,but you surely do not resent the other people moving in?
They are unaware of why you have moved out!!!
Just talked to a couple who left there this morning,
They made the same decision as you ,except that they moved to another location!
It's happening all over, last Sunday we and a large contingent of Spanish vans were moved from manta rota, we were given the option to move up into the streets!!,or to move first thing next morning.
Could not have been more civil,and not a problem !

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Oh dear me. Stay calm Funsters.

This is a location I know very well.

I visit most years at least once.

Of course being a professional, full-time, freeloading tosser, I NEVER park on the cark park, the bays on which are quite obviously for cars visiting the beach and the cafe.

Several campers are usually parked there, out of season, often with tables, chairs, gas bottles and washing out, (yukk yukk yukk yukk).

But, around on the other side of the lake, accessible by going down a little side road by the ice cream hut, you can park under the trees nearby the picnic tables and benches and no one has ever bothered me. One or two local vans sometimes park near by, and at the weekends, I am often witness to a wonderful Portuguese family picnics when 5 or 6 cars will empty out three (or four) generations... kids, teenagers, mums, dads, grannies and grandads. They spread out table clothes on the (concrete) picnic tables and lay out enough food to keep a small army marching.

I admire the way the menfolk are not allowed to do anything other than stand around drinking beer and nibbling the crisps the kids bring over to them. A very civilised culture.

Black and White worriers might claim that I am "breaking the law", which I very strongly suspect is total rubbish in this location, but I KNOW I haven't caused grief to anyone other than buying ice creams from the hut, supplies from the charming local shop (who always seem extremely friendly and pleased to see me).

The herding motorhomers on the other side of the lake have often been asked to leave in the past, presumeably because it is a holiday weekend or something like that, but no one has ever disturbed me and the one or two occasional vans with me.

I know I won't hesitate to spend a few nights there again in the future.

This is NOT the Algarve.

JJ :cool:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Sorry to go on and on, but I get so thoroughly fed up hearing all the nonsense, week in and week out, about how the GNR do this and that and we will all be fined and or shot, because they have guns you know...

If you are respectful and sensible and don't pack yourselves into small areas with dozens and dozens of other motorhomers, you can have such a wonderful time in this beautiful country.

Maybe the real solution to these perceived problems is to remember that a motorhome is designed for motoring.

Let the campsite folk enjoy their campsite making friends with their (often very near neighbours), sitting outside in the sun, brain cell killing by partaking in the Blood of the Devil, but for goodness sake, let us free spirits continue to enjoy our unregimented lifestyles away from the gangs of tourists.

Anyhow...

I must get busy, busy, busy.

Wonderful, free loading, VIP Funsters are visiting Quinta Majay tomorrow.

Do you think they know I haven't had the pool water tested by the Health and Safety folk?

Nor will they be insured if a huge eucalyptus tree falls on them?

And it is an orchard not a campsite.

Deleted User
@JJ strangely I could not agree more with what you have said, even though I obviously have the herding instinct as I mostly stay on sites.......but I do like my own space.

Deleted User
It's happening all over, last Sunday we and a large contingent of Spanish vans were moved from manta rota, we were given the option to move up into the streets!!,or to move first thing next morning.

Presumably because you were on the car park and not on the official aire?

Deleted User
Black and White worriers might claim that I am "breaking the law", which I very strongly suspect is total rubbish in this location,

A sign says ' No Campervans'.....don't get more black and white than that(presumably only on the car park)

This is not the Algarve.

I don't recall anyone saying that it was.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Oh dear me. Stay calm Funsters.

This is a location I know very well.

I visit most years at least once.

Of course being a professional, full-time, freeloading tosser, I NEVER park on the cark park, the bays on which are quite obviously for cars visiting the beach and the cafe.

Several campers are usually parked there, out of season, often with tables, chairs, gas bottles and washing out, (yukk yukk yukk yukk).

But, around on the other side of the lake, accessible by going down a little side road by the ice cream hut, you can park under the trees nearby the picnic tables and benches and no one has ever bothered me. One or two local vans sometimes park near by, and at the weekends, I am often witness to a wonderful Portuguese family picnics when 5 or 6 cars will empty out three (or four) generations... kids, teenagers, mums, dads, grannies and grandads. They spread out table clothes on the (concrete) picnic tables and lay out enough food to keep a small army marching.

I admire the way the menfolk are not allowed to do anything other than stand around drinking beer and nibbling the crisps the kids bring over to them. A very civilised culture.

Black and White worriers might claim that I am "breaking the law", which I very strongly suspect is total rubbish in this location, but I KNOW I haven't caused grief to anyone other than buying ice creams from the hut, supplies from the charming local shop (who always seem extremely friendly and pleased to see me).

The herding motorhomers on the other side of the lake have often been asked to leave in the past, presumeably because it is a holiday weekend or something like that, but no one has ever disturbed me and the one or two occasional vans with me.

I know I won't hesitate to spend a few nights there again in the future.

This is NOT the Algarve.

I was trying to remember who payed for the ice cream. ;):D2 Bob.
20141023_102024.jpg

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Correct! Of course not. The GNR came back again last night, drove round and exited without stopping. The Restaurant opens today and I think we will find out this morning their (GNR) true intent. I think they may come in and clear the parking bays, may issue fines to those in the parking bays and/ or clear the whole area. We shall soon find out. With respect to Manta Rota, I thought this was a dedicated pay for parking motorhome stop. Is this not so or do I have my places mixed up.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
The
Presumably because you were on the car park and not on the official aire?
The aire was full up!! And we were guided to our parking place by a charming spanish couple on a scooter!! (They also had a van)
They had clearly worked out that we were trying to decide where to park and decided to help.
It is not always how it seems!!,at first glance.

Deleted User
The

The aire was full up!! And we were guided to our parking place by a charming spanish couple on a scooter!! (They also had a van)
They had clearly worked out that we were trying to decide where to park and decided to help.
It is not always how it seems!!,at first glance.

Not criticizing, just establishing exactly where you were moved from. I think lots of motorhomes have used the car park over the winter when the aire was full but with Easter and this long weekend for many Portuguese perhaps they feel that the car park may be needed.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Well, all is quiet on the western front, so to speak! I thought if there was going to be a clear out it would happen Saturday morning before the restaurant opened and the weekenders arrived. The GNR never put in an appearance and there are still caravans and Motorhomes in the parking bays, (Portuguese, French & German). However, there is ample places for visiting cars to park. Perhaps the GNR have given up, well for now anyway.

Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Was told that GNR came back yesterday (we were out walking) and polity asked the French caravans to put in their awnings. They refused and GNR left. The Portuguese campers camped outside of the parking bays ripped into the car van owners saying they were now placing everybody at risk from being evicted. When we returned from our walks the awnings were no where to be seen, including the caravans they were attached too. Loving it here, will stay a while yet and move on when we need to access a washing machine or people start calling me Stinky Pete.

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
I was trying to remember who payed for the ice cream. ;):D2 Bob.View attachment 158949
HI JJ the place you are parked in there was a sign on the track down to it. no motorhomes,that was in late March this year when i was there. Also on as you walk down past the little wood cafe by the cobbly bit, its on the trees.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back