Microwave installation Requirements (1 Viewer)

ChrisA1

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily
Exp
I'ma newbie
Can someone let me know please what the DVLA expect in terms of installing a Microwave when changing the V5. I have young children so this is something we need and i have read the DVLA see it as an acceptable cooking method but didnt know if it can be say in a cupboard when driving then got out and placed on the worktop when parked up...or if it needs to be out permanently and fixed somehow? Thanks

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
A quick snippett from .Gov website

Cooking facilities

Cooking facilities must:

• be an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation and mounted independently of other items
  • be secured to the vehicle floor and / or side wall
  • be secured as a permanent feature - bolted, riveted, screwed, or welded
  • consist of a minimum of a 2 ring cooking facility or a microwave in either case having a fuel / power source
If the cooking facility is fuelled by gas having a remote fuel supply:

• the fuel supply pipe must be permanently secured to the vehicle structure
  • the fuel reservoir must be secured in a storage cupboard or the reservoir secured to the vehicle structure

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

ChrisA1

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily
Exp
I'ma newbie
Thanks. Yes I did read that but thought it was very vague about the Microwave bit, so wondered what others had done

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

ChrisA1

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily
Exp
I'ma newbie
No, no burner. I have actually rang them today to get some details and they tell me it's fine for it to be just got out as and when required, as long as it goes on a safe secured basis/area at that point. We'll see however if that's still the case when I submit the paperwork to them...:unsure:

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We installed a microwave into the division formally for a TV,( up high) between the kitchen and the bedroom. Its at 90 degs to the sidewall and not fitted to it and therefore wouldn't comply with the Regs. imposed by the Gov. site. (ie fitted to floor or sidewall.) We do however have all the other cooking facilities anyway. I bring this to anyones intention as I wouldn't want them to fit a M/W thinking that to do what we have done without having the other kitchenalia would be sufficient.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
to be sure of getting campervan status i would show the microwave fixed to something either on a worktop with angle brackets or intergated into a cupboard
ps the brackets only need to look like they are fixed

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Would it be possible to fix it in a suitable position in the cupboard, then when you want to use it just open the cupboard door? This would save having to get it out each time you want to use it and leave your work surface free. So long as it was safe to access it and usable (air gap etc) then I should think this would solve the issue.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Would it be possible to fix it in a suitable position in the cupboard, then when you want to use it just open the cupboard door? This would save having to get it out each time you want to use it and leave your work surface free. So long as it was safe to access it and usable (air gap etc) then I should think this would solve the issue.

That's how we have ours except we took the cupboard door off to allow for more ventilation.

Make sure that you have enough battery power to cope if you have a 12v microwave. Ours is a 240v for use on hook up only as we have a 3 burner hob and slow cooker in addition to the microwave. the slow cooker is also 240v but runs from an invertor if necessary. Don't do as I do (!) - I use the slow cooker when on the move as it is just the right size to go into the sink. We don't have an oven, at first I was dubious as to if we would be okay without but I've never missed it. If we really want roast chicken we can buy one ready roasted!

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Its an interesting question, as to comply to the letter of the rules it must be fixed in place and have a fuel source connected.
Just replace a cupboard with the microwave, which can be used as a cupboard when travelling.
Install enough batteries, solar to charge and a big inverter to run the microwave

Much easier and cheaper to install a 2 burner hob with a dumpy gas bottle in the cupboard below. Not forgetting to add the require drop vent and clip the pipe to the wall

Your issue is not what is advised on the phone, but the untrained office temp that checks your photos against the requirements at DVLA when you apply to change the V5.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back