Microsoft moving windows to a monthly subscription service? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
And for the average user, not interested. I also remember UNIX not to be very forgiving. Deleting.. Gone
Windows are you sure??

I may try mint, but I think I'll be hanging on to windows.

Deleting at the command prompt (Bash) = file gone.
From within the GUI it goes to the Rubish Bin same as any other GUI based OS.

upload_2018-8-3_23-31-24.png

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Us old Unix Sysadmin bods are still snobs and diss Linux ;)
:D Yup. Even though we are a polished version of Unix with much in common there is still that rivalry.

But to be honest with the arrival of systemd, you old neckbeards have some reason to mock now :(

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
:D Yup. Even though we are a polished version of Unix with much in common there is still that rivalry.

But to be honest with the arrival of systemd, you old neckbeards have some reason to mock now :(
When Linux became available to the masses, the bosses started to understand it and we couldn't bullshit them as much.
So I changed my speciality to a DBA, where the bosses truly had no idea ;) :clap2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Seeing as Windows has just 'gobbled' 7gb of my internet today as it did a 'hidden' update on my laptop which it should NOT have done I am not a happy bunny ... we've only got 4gb left to us 6 days until it 'rolls over' to the new month's 40gb allowance. :mad:

Realistically are there any issues with running Linux as opposed to Microsoft stuff? What happens to drivers etc?
Can you not set your updates to be done only when on WiFi?

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Bring back BBC BASIC I say!

Dave

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
So for this non techie...

If I download Linux Mint, and stick it onto a USB drive - how can I tell my pc to boot up from that, rather than start in windows ???

And where's the best place to download Linux Mint from?
And which version, for a beginner, there appears to be a lot of flavours :confused:.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
In about 1962 I used to programme an IBM1401 using punched cards and tapes in an air-conditioned, temperature-controlled room. I got quite good marks on my programming course.

Reading this thread I understood about 5% of what wa written.

I am not sure if there has been progress if someone like myself, who has also mastered the operation of aircraft computers, cannot follow this discussion.

KISS comes to mind.

Geoff

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Me too. I still have an extra long version, an Otis-King cylindrical one. Now, if only I could remember how to drive it.

J

Ha! Bet you were the geekiest swot in the school!

I only had an ordinary linear slide rule. Since then I have inherited several that my Engineer dad owned. Can't remember how to use them. :(

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

If I download Linux Mint, and stick it onto a USB drive - how can I tell my pc to boot up from that, rather than start in windows ???.
You do this from the Bios/Setup. One of the options in there sets the boot order.

And where's the best place to download Linux Mint from?.
From the official linux mint download page.
https://linuxmint.com/download.php

And which version, for a beginner, there appears to be a lot of flavours :confused:.
Most people go for Cinamon. It is great. I however prefer the XFCE version as it is lighter weight.

HOWEVER. You can install the Cinnamon version, then install XFCE using the package manager and select XFCE from the login page.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

If I download Linux Mint, and stick it onto a USB drive - how can I tell my pc to boot up from that, rather than start in windows ???.

You need to be quick !

When your PC boots it should display something like "F2 for Setup", might be "Del for Setup". It's gone in a blink but you should be prepared second time.

F2 opens a Setup screen and you should see BOOT and BOOT Order. You need to tell it "Boot from USB". The find "Save and Exit". Next time you boot, if there is a USB stick in it will use it, if not it will continue to the hard drive as usual.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

If you're using a data sim in a MiFi then any device you connect to it - phone, tablet, laptop etc - thinks it's on real WiFi, because that's how it's connected to the MiFi, and behaves accordingly.

That's the big downfall of using a MiFi that many people aren't aware of. Mifi and Wifi are not even close to being the same thing.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Seeing as Windows has just 'gobbled' 7gb of my internet today as it did a 'hidden' update on my laptop which it should NOT have done I am not a happy bunny ... we've only got 4gb left to us 6 days until it 'rolls over' to the new month's 40gb allowance. :mad:

Realistically are there any issues with running Linux as opposed to Microsoft stuff? What happens to drivers etc?
Have you got your mifi set-up as a Metered Connection in Settings (assuming Windows 10)?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I made this into an alias in .bashrc and with a 2 character command I can run it nice and easy.

find /var/www/vhosts/*/httpdocs/*/.htaccess -print | xargs grep -l "aspseek" | xargs -L1 dirname | tr :Dn' :D0' | xargs -0 -I {} mv {} /root/hack

So Power and ease.
I understood that 100%

I missed the power of shell commands when having to use Windows (spit) based sytems

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I've installed Mint19, Cinnamon, onto an old Vista PC. I need to leave Vista there, even though it keeps falling over until I sort out the many many files on this PC I need to keep. Using Mint defaults, it went perfectly as far as I can see. However, I can't see any of the original PC files from within mint. Any simple solutions please? I've tried to add the ntfs * but I'm told I don't have the authority to do so. Shades od Windows Admin requirement

Malcolm

* Cant remember the extension

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Currently in Mint 19 Cinnamon on a tri-boot system (Mint 19, Mint 18.3 and Windows 7).
Installations are split over two 1Tb hard discs with Windows 7 and a data partition on one and Mint 18.3 and 19 on the other.
In "Files" in both versions of Mint I can see the separate partitions on both discs however, from memory, can't see \ read in Windows 7, unsurprisingly.
Windows 7 drive is formatted in NTFS with the Linux drive formatted in EXT4.
Does the grub bootloader screen appear at start-up for you to select either Mint or Windows or does it just boot straight into Mint?

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I've installed Mint19, Cinnamon, onto an old Vista PC. I need to leave Vista there, even though it keeps falling over until I sort out the many many files on this PC I need to keep. Using Mint defaults, it went perfectly as far as I can see. However, I can't see any of the original PC files from within mint. Any simple solutions please? I've tried to add the ntfs * but I'm told I don't have the authority to do so. Shades od Windows Admin requirement

Malcolm

* Cant remember the extension
NFTS partitions should be readable by default under linux mint. They are just not writable unless you do some twiddling. This is a safety feature because you can delete system files etc.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
However, I can't see any of the original PC files

Might be the old drive/partition is not mounted, Linux does not mount all drives it sees.

On my desktop I have COMPUTER. Double click this and I see all attached drives. I double click the old Widows drive, it mounts it and I have full access.

Next time I boot I have to do the same to read these drives. There must be a magic incantation could be inserted into the boot files but I've not bothered to find out.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
There must be a magic incantation could be inserted into the boot files but I've not bothered to find out.
Go into accessories disks.
Click on the partition
click on the cog icon and select mount options (y)

Or you can do what I do and sudo to root then edit the fstab directly :p

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Might be the old drive/partition is not mounted, Linux does not mount all drives it sees.

On my desktop I have COMPUTER. Double click this and I see all attached drives. I double click the old Widows drive, it mounts it and I have full access.

Next time I boot I have to do the same to read these drives. There must be a magic incantation could be inserted into the boot files but I've not bothered to find out.

I thought I'd tried that, but it worked a treat. Thanks Brian

Malcolm

Apr 7, 2018
Mostly Sussex and Hampshire
Funster No
Exp
I guess I qualify as a newbie.
Apparently some of the EL-ites are now struggling to pay their electricity bills but they just won't give up, will they? Charge us for Windows(?!?!) on top of all the other stealth taxes that have crept up on us over the years, e.g. TV licence - BBC now funded by EU for propaganda reasons but they haven't done away with the licence fee so where does all that money go?!?!? :rolleyes: I can assure you it does not go to the BBC!!! Capita plc is a private corporation... One wonders!

Apr 7, 2018
Mostly Sussex and Hampshire
Funster No
Exp
I guess I qualify as a newbie.
The BBC licence fee because it is not going to the BBC - they don't need it so where is it going and why are Brits, loyal and patriotic, still being asked to pay it?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't do updates to Windows ... there're 'fat' enough already! :D Seriously though, I don't have access to wifi, just my own mobile broadband via my MIFI, so that's the only way to get updates if I want them.

Have you got your mifi set-up as a Metered Connection in Settings (assuming Windows 10)?
I investigated and despite my laptop being set NOT to do any downloads at anytime ... NEVER ... the 'new to us' MIFI which I'd just started to use was able to over-rule everything! It didn't happen on the first day I used the 'new' MIFI though which is why it was confusing as to what was the problem but I finally managed to track it down and sort the little beggar out! (y) Thank goodness the previous owner didn't change the standard passwords on the unit!

So a warning to all ... IF you start to us a new MIFI make sure it is set to 'metered' as it can still do it even if everything else is set not to.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back