MH Security when at Citi Europe & Site? (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Mostly irrelevant, the point being they were both RHD and neither were seen again. That’s only the two I have personal knowledge of, imagine how many others there are
How recent are these thefts?(n)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Not doubting you but very strange that there has not been more publicity about these incidents as not often something like this is missed on MHF.
We have been travelling down through France for years and never heard of anything like this happening,only gassing and bike thefts.:xThumb::xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP

Deleted User
Not doubting you but very strange that there has not been more publicity about these incidents as not often something like this is missed on MHF.
We have been travelling down through France for years and never heard of anything like this happening,only gassing and bike thefts.:xThumb::xThumb:

I have no idea if it appeared or not, we had the caravan until we got a MH in Sept this year so we’re not on here at the times in question. That said we have several UK friends and 3 family that have MHs, not one of them is on here.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@JockandRita just had one removed from under his van tonight & has moved on to Wissant.
Yep, as Gus posted, and we've stayed at Cite Europe several times before, without a problem. It's off our "safe" list now. :( I have to consider Rita's safety and peace of mind, and she wasn't happy to just move further up the MH parking area, along with other Brits who witnessed events.

Cheers,

Jock.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
As I understand it MHF is the busiest motorhome specific UK forum. @Jim can confirm the details. If it is as prolific as you suggest I am amazed that we haven't heard anything about such thefts. How did you hear about them?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

As popular as this forum is, it represents only a very small proportion of the overall MH owning population so there is every likelihood that incidents such as these would go unnoticed on here.

Ian

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
As I understand it MHF is the busiest motorhome specific UK forum. @Jim can confirm the details. If it is as prolific as you suggest I am amazed that we haven't heard anything about such thefts. How did you hear about them?

When we’re overseas, more often than not we are the only Brits on a site. When we do encounter other Brits it is the exception rather than the rule that the other Brits are Funsters.

I suspect that your view of what proportion of Brit Motorhomers are Funsters may be somewhat optimistic.

Ian

OP
OP

Deleted User

NOBODY has said its prolific, I stated "2" that I have first hand knowledge of and both were RHD.. If that doesn't fit your narrative then thats your problem. Yet again, a simple question gets hijacked by those with nothing constructive to offer. So as they say I'M OUT..

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Cite Europe is a handy stop although a bit noisy oh and the dodgy immagrants trying to hitch a lift. but it appears if you have never seen them its never happened unfortunately I have seen them. the crazy thing is others witnessed what I see and nobody offered help.

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I won’t stop less than 30 to 50 kms from the channel ports, there’s no need too at all.
I pick a nice quiet backwater aire that doesn’t give a clue as to where we’re going.
As Jock says it’s off his safe list now which is a shame but it was never on ours.
On the deterant front we always use our engine run blocker and set the growler both when we’re leaving the moho and when we’re in it at night as we have the scoot on a rack and want to protect that.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Cite Europe is a handy stop although a bit noisy oh and the dodgy immagrants trying to hitch a lift. but it appears if you have never seen them its never happened unfortunately I have seen them. the crazy thing is others witnessed what I see and nobody offered help.
Regarding the migrants .... we've seen them.. not doing anything wrong ... But in the car park the odd hooded one walking around .. blatantly an opportunist...
Dogs tend to make them walk a different direction.
PSX_20160601_093938.jpg

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Yep, as Gus posted, and we've stayed at Cite Europe several times before, without a problem. It's off our "safe" list now. :( I have to consider Rita's safety and peace of mind, and she wasn't happy to just move further up the MH parking area, along with other Brits who witnessed events.

Cheers,

Jock.

I was there for two nights Jock and came over this morning.... Paul said you would be there but missed you again....

It just must be wrong time wrong place..... I didn’t see anything for two days, but it was hissing down for most of it... perhaps they don’t like getting wet....

As asides I got pulled over and searched by the English customs as soon as they realised I was on my own....:cool:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
NOBODY has said its prolific, I stated "2" that I have first hand knowledge of and both were RHD..
You did you know. Recognise this
Mostly irrelevant, the point being they were both RHD and neither were seen again. That’s only the two I have personal knowledge of, imagine how many others there are
I think the last bit of the sentence in red suggests that you believe that your experience is just the tip of the iceberg.

I am disappointed that you suggest that I have nothing constructive to offer after I had answered your original question with my first 2 posts to the extent that you liked them both. The first negative post I can find in this thread came from you, when you slagged off @Lenny HB light hearted post.

I have been going over to Europe in Motorhomes for the last 5 years, and Lenny for a lot longer. I, like him, have never found it necessary to fit a wheel clamp or disclock. And I have rarely seen other European motorhomers use them either. If you realise you are in danger (and we never have been) then you need to be able to drive away quickly without getting out of the motorhome, but you can't with a wheel clamp. Only once have we ever felt it necessary to flee an Aire or site in the middle of the night and that had nothing to do with being in danger. We realised that the outdoor student rave a couple of hundred yards from us in the Aire in Coimbra, Portugal was going to be an all nighter and we needed to get some sleep.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Paul said you would be there but
@Just smiffy. Sorry we missed you Smiffy. :( Hopefully another time, eh? (y)

In keeping with the OP' question, I too would never dream of using a clamp or some other external immobilising device, but like @Badknee, the engine immobiliser and Strikeback alarm is set at all times, when the vehicle is unoccupied, along with external D locks, and the alarm set at night too, The protective bike loop forms part of the alarm too. When leaving the curtain closed dividing the cab from the habitation area, and the screen blinds open, I have a thick coated wire strop, which I use to prevent the cab door from being opened enough to gain entry, but opened enough to set the alarm off. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Idriver is all hearsay, I’m guessing he personally knows of several motorhomers who have been gassed...........I’ll get the popcorn out now lol.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
@Badknee
Dodgy, dodgy, who are you calling dodgy??
Blooming northerners!! :xrofl::xrofl::xrofl:

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Never had a proper search of the moho or been pulled over that I can remember.
We must be very respectable and honest looking...........................unlike some of our fellow Funsters. :xrofl::xrofl:
We were searched quite regularly when driving into RAF bases and airfields with the Vulcan team. The daftest was for Farnborough where, every morning, young security bods insisted we open the bonnet for them to peer in and then they checked underneath the vehicle with mirrors.
Had they checked inside they would have found a volunteer that didn't have the correct pass hiding in the loo. :xeek:
All a total waste of time because at the weekend they admitted thousands of the great unwashed for the public days with minimal checks.

Richard.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
underneath the vehicle with mirrors.
Hi.
Know what you are saying.Its to do with training. Once sat on a Transport Cafe yard,4 army l/rovers pulled in,lads went for a cuppa and came out.Got the mirrors out on the sticks and started going around the vehicles,i shouted across. "Its OK,i have been here all the time,nobodies touched them " An NCO came over and thanked me,BUT, said they only have to forget to do it once and.............. That focused my mind
Tea Bag

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never had a proper search of the moho or been pulled over that I can remember.
We must be very respectable and honest looking...........................unlike some of our fellow Funsters. :xrofl::xrofl:
We were searched quite regularly when driving into RAF bases and airfields with the Vulcan team. The daftest was for Farnborough where, every morning, young security bods insisted we open the bonnet for them to peer in and then they checked underneath the vehicle with mirrors.
Had they checked inside they would have found a volunteer that didn't have the correct pass hiding in the loo. :xeek:
All a total waste of time because at the weekend they admitted thousands of the great unwashed for the public days with minimal checks.

Richard.
A lot of this security is so half hearted its a joke.

Did some work in one of the old H block prisons in Ulster, I was only going in to sort out some computer equipment. Car had the mirrors underneath they looked under the bonnet, had to leave mobile phones and go through metal detectors etc. Then we were allowed to drive in and leave the car in an area that inmates had acess to and in the car we had tools, hammers, stanley knifes etc.

Another time in MI5 not allowed to have mobile phones turned on and they have detectors on all the corridor walls, I was walking about for a few hours before I realised I'd left my phone on, they were good dectectors then!

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016

Did some work in one of the old H block prisons in Ulster, I was only going in to sort out some computer equipment. Car had the mirrors underneath they looked under the bonnet, had to leave mobile phones and go through metal detectors etc. Then we were allowed to drive in and leave the car in an area that inmates had acess to and in the car we had tools, hammers, stanley knifes etc.

Another time in MI5 not allowed to have mobile phones turned on and they have detectors on all the corridor walls, I was walking about for a few hours before I realised I'd left my phone on, they were good dectectors then!
I think maybe the MI5 phone things were blockers maybe???

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

Some of the prisons I've worked in have mirrored ceilings as you go in so they can easily see what's on the van roof :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back