Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 30, 2023
Weymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
DIY Transit
Exp
On first long trip
We're planning to move permanently to Portugal. Anyone here any experience of importing a MH or camper? Ours is a DIY Transit conversion. Not registered with DVLA as a camper. I think I saw a post here (cant find it now) where someone said this caused a problem. And, slightly off-topic, importing a car?

Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Was thinking of doing this myself but sadly everything’s changed 😐
DIY conversions will not pass itv (mot)
Underslung gas tanks will not pass itv!
If you buy a campervan make sure it’s lhd with an eu certificate of conformity and if you’ve owned it 6 months before emigrating it is part of your goods and chattels so import tax free!
So buy yourself a lhd car and factory converted campervan at least 6 months before you go and bobs your uncle 👍😁
PS I possibly have a LHD 2013 possl 2win for sale😜
Alex

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Was thinking of doing this myself but sadly everything’s changed 😐
DIY conversions will not pass itv (mot)
Underslung gas tanks will not pass itv!
If you buy a campervan make sure it’s lhd with an eu certificate of conformity and if you’ve owned it 6 months before emigrating it is part of your goods and chattels so import tax free!
So buy yourself a lhd car and factory converted campervan at least 6 months before you go and bobs your uncle 👍😁
PS I possibly have a LHD 2013 possl 2win for sale😜
Alex

So, with our RHD MH which was built before the C of C system was introduced, Portugal is saying we are not welcome. That in addition to not transferring C1 onto their driving licences.

We are currently considering re-locating further West in Europe, but many countries seem to make it difficult. Poland was not easy but we managed it.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
So, with our RHD MH which was built before the C of C system was introduced, Portugal is saying we are not welcome. That in addition to not transferring C1 onto their driving licences.

We are currently considering re-locating further West in Europe, but many countries seem to make it difficult. Poland was not easy but we managed it.
I think after reading online (not first hand information) you can now keep hold of your uk driving licence until it expires, then you have to get a Portuguese licence .
If that's the only issue that's stopping you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I know this is in Spain but you need to check that Portugal isn’t the same

Sep 20, 2015
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R
Exp
since 2014
We did the exact same thing when importing our motorhome into Slovenia but you must declare within your first year of residency to comply with the EU rules. You also cannot sell said vehicle within the first year after offical import otherwise import duty becomes due.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back