Mercedes vario self builds..... anyone on here done one? (1 Viewer)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Interested in seeing any self builds or campers based on the merc vario panel van ....minibus based ones would be interesting too but mainly van builds.

Anyone built one?

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
There was a member on here doing one but he sadly passed away a few years ago, it was quite a detailed build. Just can't remember his name.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
If you pay for my 7.5t license I'll happily do one for you!!

Lovely van, simple, strong, reliable engine. Nice.

Cheers James

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If you pay for my 7.5t license I'll happily do one for you!!

Lovely van, simple, strong, reliable engine. Nice.

Cheers James
I dont need someone to do one for me lol
Im planning to build one over yhe summer ...just wondered if anyone on here had done one previously.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I was going to buy a Vario but not a former minibus, too many windows down the sides, much prefer the standard van with no windows, imagine the condensation in winter with those, especially as Tam lives in it.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I was going to buy a Vario but not a former minibus, too many windows down the sides, much prefer the standard van with no windows, imagine the condensation in winter with those, especially as Tam lives in it.
Yes i dont want a bus ...panel van for me possibly 1 window either side directly behind the cab but thats it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What are Vario's like for rust? If anything like Sprinters I don't think I would want to entertain one (newer Sprinters are OK since they galvanized them a few years ago).

I don't like donner caravans being used on self builds, cheap but always looks like a bodge, I don't think Tam would do that.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
What are Vario's like for rust? If anything like Sprinters I don't think I would want to entertain one (newer Sprinters are OK since they galvanized them a few years ago).

I don't like donner caravans being used on self builds, cheap but always looks like a bodge, I don't think Tam would do that.
They do get rust thats for sure ....but some are affected more than others and seems to be lower 6 inch side panels.

But that said the chassis is independent of the shell and ive not seen any yet with rotten chassis etc ...they dont have steel floors like conventional vans and the engines are bombproof ... and of course the 6 or 7.5 tonne chassis makes them a different league.

Overall size too is almost the same as my hymer ...the long and high im after is 7050 L. 2990H and 2250W

Not going down the caravan route ....i plan to build from scratch and it will all be brand new appliances etc ....and doing it properly.

At present im allowing 25 -30k total for the project

Hoping to get a base van for around Ā£10k. Hopefully between 2003 and 2008 7 seat crewvan

And then 15 -20 to build it

5k will likely be spent on just the electrics

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Sorry i edited that last post while you were reading it šŸ˜ ill be bending your ear nearer the time for electrics advice but my thoughts for now is a full victron set up bar the actual batteries and the solar panels.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010

You haven't seen mine!

With a bit of thought you can do a good job imho.

Cheers James

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Sorry i edited that last post while you were reading it šŸ˜ ill be bending your ear nearer the time for electrics advice but my thoughts for now is a full victron set up bar the actual batteries and the solar panels.
At Ā£5k I'm guessing LiFePO4?

If so, I use a Votronic 90a B2B, with everything else Victron (apart from batteries).

Can't recommend the setup enough. Just fit & forget, I rarely ever check the levels now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back