Mercedes 1980's Automatic Hymermobil? (1 Viewer)

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Been looking at a couple of old Hymers.... 1980's.... S550/650.
Fancy the mercedes base and seen a couple of really good looking vans. And a couple of sheds!
One was a manual 307D 2.8 and another with an 4 speed auto box on a 3l engine. (This is what the ad says so forgive me if they are 2.7 or 2.9!)
I know a there are a lot of things that could have happened to it in 30 odd years of its life but has anyone any advice on whether to avoid automatics or can they be reliable at that age?
Not that much choice out there but trying to build up some knowledge.....
We picked a great van first time round and it served us very well for 5 years and just want another as good if possible.

283577962_9.jpg
$_3.jpg

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
They are very reliable manual of auto, bullet proof set up. Check the service record though for maintenance as with any van.
great old plodder and the Hymer bit is wonderful too.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
They are lovely motorhomes but you will have to make allowances for the drivetrain compared to a modern motorhome. Have a drive in one on a motorway before you get too hooked

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The one you link to he has had for sale at least 12 months.
Having said that from the link/info it seems a tidy van at a reasonable price.They get some nice vans at sensible prices, I think he brings them in & re-registers them. Couple of times I've seen some I like but would need to p/ex & they never used to do that.
@JJ might be able to help as he has a similar model with auto box.

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
They are very reliable manual of auto, bullet proof set up. Check the service record though for maintenance as with any van.
great old plodder and the Hymer bit is wonderful too.

I have seen them with FSH and that would be a big thing on deciding, cheers.

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
They are lovely motorhomes but you will have to make allowances for the drivetrain compared to a modern motorhome. Have a drive in one on a motorway before you get too hooked

Thanks Jon.
I used to drive a merc flatbed in the 90's of a similar age, and that also used to quite happily belt along at 50-55mph, and take a deep breath before the slightest of inclines! So I do not have high expectations of performance, but they go all day....

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
The one you link to he has had for sale at least 12 months.
Having said that from the link/info it seems a tidy van at a reasonable price.They get some nice vans at sensible prices, I think he brings them in & re-registers them. Couple of times I've seen some I like but would need to p/ex & they never used to do that.
@JJ might be able to help as he has a similar model with auto box.

Thats good to hear thanks Gus. Ideally we want to buy an already spanish registered van. We have an office near us that would handle importing but it adds, with all taxes about 25% to the price! The first one is the 550 in Austria, second is 650 just down the road from us but more than 50% more expensive. I had seen it before and prob not getting til next year so it would be a lot easier here.
May make an offer if it's still there?

Any feedback on the dealer?

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
I've a lot of automatics over the years including many of the older Borg-Warner types that might be fitted to that vehicle. The best advice I can give you if you decide to buy an auto and there is no service record is to take it in for a gearbox service. Quite often the auto box never gets serviced throughout the whole life of the vehicle. The filters can clog up and often some of the fluid has been lost and often in older vehicles it needs to be changed. They also adjust the settings to make it work more smoothly.

The only downside to an auto box of that vintage is that the fuel consumption will be low compared to a manual. Other than that it is all good.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thats good to hear thanks Gus. Ideally we want to buy an already spanish registered van. We have an office near us that would handle importing but it adds, with all taxes about 25% to the price! The first one is the 550 in Austria, second is 650 just down the road from us but more than 50% more expensive. I had seen it before and prob not getting til next year so it would be a lot easier here.
May make an offer if it's still there?

Any feedback on the dealer?

No not really. They appear to work from a house as occasionally you get the odd photo & it shows other MH's parked inside the compound but photo's are always taken in the road.They do tend to shift stuff though but it does tend to be in fits & starts.Might be well worth making an offer if you have a look & it is tidy. As I said in the previous post all his stuff ,even when quite old, always appears to be the best that can be found judging from the photo's .What it is like in the flesh...........

They also always appear to have at least a dozen for sale at any one time.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have a 1987 Mercedes Hymer 660S with the 5 cylinder 2.9 engine and the 4 speed, torque converter automatic gearbox. It has covered 220,000 kms approx.

I live in it fulltime.

I completely adore my van but certain key factors contribute to this satisfaction.

1. Condition.
When I bought mine (over eight years ago) it had been effectively owned by one lady for over 20 years and was in truly excellent condition.

2. Speed.
I am never in a hurry when driving it and do so very gently in a totally non, brumm brumm brumm manner. (You apparently already know how slowly these old girls go relative to modern, rush about, vehicles.)

3. DIY.
I am able to do my own (very occasional) repairs to the habitation side of vehicle. These days I let others do the mechanical side as I no longer want to crawl around on the ground and anyway...

4. Maintenance.
Spending most of my time in Central Portugal these days, I am very lucky to have found a local garage with the knowledge, acquired over decades, to fix mechanical stuff at a very reasonable rate (€13.50 per hour). For example... some years ago I had a bit of brake wobble. They removed the front wheels, brake calipers and discs. Rui (the boss/owner) skimmed the discs on his lathe in the garage, and refitted everything. The problem was solved and I was charged... €20. It has been perfect ever since.

Also I am surprised to find that, so far, touch wood, spares have been easy to find... in my time of ownership I have needed a new brake pads, vacuum pump and a water pump.

I change the oil and filter religiously every 5000 kms and the fuel filter every 10000 kms.

So... the van totally fits my lifestyle, is massively affordable to own (as a home) and garners lots of interest from the more mature folk who appreciate craftsmanship and glory in the days when stuff was built with quality in mind rather than profit.

I live in on my own in it (like a pig) and find I have plenty of space which I have filled up with piles of useless, untidy junk.

Hope this ramble helps.

JJ :cool:

PS. I couldn't find any link to a dealer but suspect it might be Ikonic Kampers. I bought mine from them.

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
I have a 1987 Mercedes Hymer 660S with the 5 cylinder 2.9 engine and the 4 speed, torque converter automatic gearbox. It has covered 220,000 kms approx.

I live in it fulltime.

I completely adore my van but certain key factors contribute to this satisfaction.

1. Condition.
When I bought mine (over eight years ago) it had been effectively owned by one lady for over 20 years and was in truly excellent condition.

2. Speed.
I am never in a hurry when driving it and do so very gently in a totally non, brumm brumm brumm manner. (You apparently already know how slowly these old girls go relative to modern, rush about, vehicles.)

3. DIY.
I am able to do my own (very occasional) repairs to the habitation side of vehicle. These days I let others do the mechanical side as I no longer want to crawl around on the ground and anyway...

4. Maintenance.
Spending most of my time in Central Portugal these days, I am very lucky to have found a local garage with the knowledge, acquired over decades, to fix mechanical stuff at a very reasonable rate (€13.50 per hour). For example... some years ago I had a bit of brake wobble. They removed the front wheels, brake calipers and discs. Rui (the boss/owner) skimmed the discs on his lathe in the garage, and refitted everything. The problem was solved and I was charged... €20. It has been perfect ever since.

Also I am surprised to find that, so far, touch wood, spares have been easy to find... in my time of ownership I have needed a new brake pads, vacuum pump and a water pump.

I change the oil and filter religiously every 5000 kms and the fuel filter every 10000 kms.

So... the van totally fits my lifestyle, is massively affordable to own (as a home) and garners lots of interest from the more mature folk who appreciate craftsmanship and glory in the days when stuff was built with quality in mind rather than profit.

I live in on my own in it (like a pig) and find I have plenty of space which I have filled up with piles of useless, untidy junk.

Hope this ramble helps.

JJ :cool:

PS. I couldn't find any link to a dealer but suspect it might be Ikonic Kampers I bought mine from them.

Yes JJ, I have kept abreast of your exploits....
We had 5 years fulltime in our last 'one careful owner' van and loved it. Now we have put down spanish roots but are keen to get back on the road part time.
We can't duplicate the looks of our last van but can go for classic good looks, now having a bit of moho experience under our belts.
I always drive like it's sunday, am competent with diy but leave the mechanics to those in the know, so need to find a Rui between Alicante & Murcia.
I have a link to Ikonic Kampers from @canopus thanks and will continue gathering info from the minds on Fun....

Reactions: JJ
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Hi daz
Ikonic campers I can recommend my brother in law has had 2 off them both hymers good deals on part exchange and very good after sales
Say hi to her majesty for me

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Just incase you were thinking newer also
This ones for sale not far from you
https://m.facebook.com/groups/516768895021737?view=permalink&id=2120929214605689

Cheers, thats an ok van at a good price, but I really fancy the old basic merc engine, for simplicity as well as rwd. And how cool are the old beige/brown vans? We have not been caught often but it's not nice when the front wheels start spinning....
Our 'new' car is a (20 year old) 1.9 diesel without even a turbo.
Keeping it simple, lol.

Like Toby, by the way.

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Hi daz
Ikonic campers I can recommend my brother in law has had 2 off them both hymers good deals on part exchange and very good after sales
Say hi to her majesty for me

Thanks. It's nice to get feedback on dealers. Her Maj gives the royal wave back and we both send our best to your young bird...

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Viewed an old un in Benidorm today...
Fuel filler marked 'Benzene'.....

A 1988 merc Hymer running on petrol!

Interior a bit shabby but fuel putting me off this one.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
A bit younger than you are looking for but maybe worth seeing.

Ops, don't seem to be able to post a link to Facebook.

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Thanks Sandra @Armytwowheels.
Don't do a lot of fb. Got his profile but no details after 2011!
What do we do to read more?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181214-235056.jpg
    Screenshot_20181214-235056.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 6

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Will do a couple of more screen shots and if you are interested I could pass on your phone number or email.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hey Daz. Have sent you a link via text, also if you do have a FB account look on the Hymermarket page, that's where I found it.

There is some discussions going on about it being in Spain but on Dutch plates. This could make it a complete ball ache to import into Spain, if it has been in Spain too long already.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back