Mayrhofen, Austria 2 week ski trip (1 Viewer)

Sheepskin

Free Member
Oct 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just returned from 2 weeks skiing in Mayrhofen Austria, great snow and great skiing. We travelled down in the RMB it is a long way at 60mph, about 800 miles each way. We averaged about 25mpg for the whole trip, some very cold weather on the way down -18 degrees.

The RMB can handle the cold without problems as 2 Truma Blown air boilers fitted, our fresh water and toilet tank did not freeze, the waste tank had slight freezing. What we learned was.

The campsite give you wooden pallets to go outside your entry door otherwise you carry lots of snow into the van.

You need a large watering can and also water container as all the external water taps will be frozen solid. You fill the water container and he decant into the van via the watering can, it works well.

Normally we use about 0.5 kg of gas per day, in these conditions 1 to 1.5 kg per day, many LPG stations on the main motorways in Belgium and Germany and cheap in Belgium about 0.65 euro cents per litre.

Going to Austria is similar distance to the French Ski resorts but no road tolls. In Austria you only need vignette or Go Box for motorways not ordinary roads. Easy route to all the major Austrian ski resorts without using motorway south of Munich.

The following are some pics from trip

IMG_0217-XL.jpg

This was on the way down in Belgium it was early morning and -18 degrees here

DSCN1546-XL.jpg

This is what it is all about the skier is my wife Anna

DSCN1576-XL.jpg

On this holiday we skied our first Black slopes, this is Anna about to go off the "cliff" Black slope 4 Mayrhofen

DSCN1607-XL.jpg

It was really cold again on the way back, just look at the icicles on the from wheel !!!

All the pictures of this and all our other trips are at

http://trendinvestor.smugmug.com/

OP
OP
S

Sheepskin

Free Member
Oct 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Austria and France Ski resorts are both very similar distance from a Distance point of view, but Austria means motorways without Tolls, whereas France means big tolls for the same journey.

France has slightly better Skiing, although Austria has now caught up in my opinion BUT Austria is a lot cheaper like 3 euros for a beer as opposed to 6 to 8 in France, and Austria is a lot more pretty in my opinion, most of the French resorts they build up the mountain which is good, but what they build is a bit concrete and soviet !!!!.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Hopefully it will inspire other Funsters to be more adventurous during their travels!:thumb:

We've been bitten with the skiing bug, next year seems such a long way off....:cry:

Romatone

Free Member
Dec 7, 2012
Sible Hedingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since July 2012
Skiing in Austria

Hi Sheepskin

That journey of your was a similar distance of mine to the Swiss Alps, Grindelwald , it would have been the same but made a couple of wrong uns that added about 50 miles. Might like to go to Austria next year, can I ask what you paid for the site. In Switzerland is was about £27 , but that did include electric and when I was getting low on Propane I was using their electric for heating etc, which included 2 ...1 kilowatt rads . But was a lovely site.

Romatone

pollensabob

Free Member
Jan 30, 2008
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
7 years
We have just returned from ski trip to Mayrhofen as you said excellent skiing on Penken and surrounding areas. Restaurants and facilities first class. We think it beats France. Returning next year.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Are winter tyres mandatory in the Austrian Alps during winter?

The fact we are to tight to buy any until we wear our old tyres out, limits us to France!:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back